Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #211

I find your speaking for the common man schtick amusing.

Last years high end packaged to sell as this years mid range. Evolution.

05-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
illdefined
I think we understand your message. You dont like it. Now let us make our own opinion
It's a black DSLR.

All I see.
05-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I, for one, really want this camera. Do I want a k-5? Yes. Do I want a re-hashed package of a k-5 in a newer (and white) body that may be slightly cheaper than the k-5? Hell yes.
05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Looks like I am not the only one thinking it's hard to position another conventional DSLR below this model, with this we have 3 interchangeable camera bodies on the market with the same 16MP sensor spec on paper, they would make improvements on the new models yes, but regular customer wouldn't know.

I think Adam's prediction is more likely, this will be the new entry level DSLR, K-01 take up the spot in the line-up originally occupied by K-r

On a personal note this model is not for me, spec wise not much going for it, most importantly my style of shooting means top LCD contains almost all information that I need on the go, I can't imagine not having one.Will be a good camera for people upgrading from istD K-m K-x K-r K10D K20D K200D or as new entries into Pentax brand, for existing K-7/K-5 crowd? No.

Not that I think my trusted K-5 would need a replacement this year but will be interesting to see what Ricoh/Pentax do with the new higher end model

05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #215
Pentaxian

100% VF! Sweet!
05-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
me thinks it has articulated flip out lcd....

that lump on the side of the camera.... possibly a hinge...
I concur. Pentax has been lacking in this feature and it is a sales killer.
05-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Looks like I am not the only one thinking it's hard to position another conventional DSLR below this model, with this we have 3 interchangeable camera bodies on the market with the same 16MP sensor spec on paper, they would make improvements on the new models yes, but regular customer wouldn't know.

I think Adam's prediction is more likely, this will be the new entry level DSLR, K-01 take up the spot in the line-up originally occupied by K-r
It is a too high price point. It's spec'd for mid-range. Lots of room for a budget model below that is a DSLR. The K-01 is your second car; it's not the main thing. Pentax still has no figured out mirrorless.

Now, a K-01n with an articulating LCD and an optional EVF would be an all-in-one budget offering with serious second car scenarios. As it is, the K-01 is in no man's land.

We're seeing the return of the highly-praised K200D with the K30. WR all around is a unique Pentax attribute with some serious floor model upsell. I like.

05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #218
Veteran Member

I kind of doubt the articulating screen, but if it did have one, I would find this very appealing for shooting video and as a compliment to my K-5. Probably would get the blue too!
05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, articulating screen and WR, there is no connection is there?.
05-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a whole lot to see here. Its a nice camera -- basically a kr sequel, but with features you haven't seen on that level camera (two dials, sealing). If it releases for 750 dollars and drops to 650 down the road, it will be an amazing deal.

The big thing is that it means that there are going to be good things coming (pretty soon hopefully) in terms of a K5 sequel, 'cause this definitely isn't it.
05-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It is a too high price point. It's spec'd for mid-range. Lots of room for a budget model below that is a DSLR. The K-01 is your second car; it's not the main thing. Pentax still has no figured out mirrorless.
I agree with this. That's why I believe that the K-5 replacement has to be full frame. There's really not a lot of room above this K30, specwise or price wise, for another crop sensor camera.

I have a K-5, and I also think this K30 is a cool camera, but I wouldn't get it if I had the cash.

I really think this is a good move for Pentax, if....IF there is a FF in the pipeline, and it's released in time for this year's Christmas shopping season.
However, if there is another APS-C sensor camera priced higher than this, there would be too much congestion and this would not be a good move.
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice specs! Like the design except for the Pentax logo. It'd be interesting to see a picture of the back. Swivel LCD perhaps?
It'd need a tilt screen, K01 like sensible live view, and focus peaking, to tempt me from my K-r or away from a used K5
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #223
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
It'd need a tilt screen, K01 like sensible live view, and focus peaking, to tempt me from my K-r or away from a used K5
I bet it has everything the k5 had plus everything the k-01 has over the k5..
this would seem like a logical course for Pentax if they want to gain market share...
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
me thinks it has articulated flip out lcd....

that lump on the side of the camera.... possibly a hinge...
Me thinks that you are correct. I would also bet that the K-01 successor will have one. I kind of doubt that the K-5 successor would have one, and I am pretty sure the FF wouldn't have one if it ever becomes a reality.
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On amazon UK :
- k-30 : £700
- k-01 : £680

So what's the point of the k-01 now ?
Could it be really considered as entry-level at this price ?

Also, I think that megapixels really matters for a lot of people (not only newcomers), when I bought a k-r a few months ago, the 3 first questions I was asked by colleagues (two 600D users) :
- price
- megapixels
- lens

So what most people will see in the next following months :
Pentax 16 Mpx vs cheaper Nikon D3200 24 Mpx
Easy choice in my opinion... :/