Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I'm still wondering why those stupid guys at Pentax like to mess the model names up! This should simply be K300, as K7 & K5 should have been K30 & K40, and K-m, K-x & K-r should have been K1000, K2000 & K3000. Rumored FF could be K1 then. Now look at all those stupid model names that after 5 years nobody remembers which was what!
Pentax doesn't have a monopoly on those stupid guys coming up with product names.

Nikon has the D3000, D5000, D7000 lineup in APS-C. Higher numbers = more features and larger pricetag. That makes a lot of sense. But then the D700 and D800 ... dividing by 10 for a lower number means a better lineup? But what about the D90 then, that's another digit gone from the end but a step back in features. And then the flagship D3 and D4 lose another digit but become more expensive again. AAARGH!!!!

Canon isn't any better. 1100D, Rebel T3, and Kiss X50 ... 3 different codes for the same camera.

05-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #272
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Implosion, followed by explosion, followed by maniacal raving competing with denial, disorder, looting, segued into a Dystopian, entropified post-civilization culture where gas and water are currency. Finally: zombie apocalypse.
That doesn't sound so bad... as long as I have a FF Pentax to document it all.
05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Implosion, followed by explosion, followed by maniacal raving competing with denial, disorder, looting, segued into a Dystopian, entropified post-civilization culture where gas and water are currency. Finally: zombie apocalypse.

But, all we want is what lies beyond the Thunderdome!
05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I wonder what that space to the right of the mode dial is for. Prolly a small top LCD like on the MZ-3/MZ-5?

btw, the popup flash looks Nikon-y to me.

And I agree why the name "K-30" This is going to confuse some who might relate it with the K20D....
and since it comes in color, does this mean there is ...no SLR model below it? This is already the entry-level Pentax camera?

05-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #275
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally will abandon PF & dpreview for a few weeks then. Even with the so called K3 I'm afraid both of these forums will be converted to something like what Nikon (D800) and Olympus (E-M5) are doing on dpreview.
You mean you'd totally skip the zombie apocalypse?! Nonsense!
05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pentax doesn't have a monopoly on those stupid guys coming up with product names.

Nikon has the D3000, D5000, D7000 lineup in APS-C. Higher numbers = more features and larger pricetag. That makes a lot of sense. But then the D700 and D800 ... dividing by 10 for a lower number means a better lineup? But what about the D90 then, that's another digit gone from the end but a step back in features. And then the flagship D3 and D4 lose another digit but become more expensive again. AAARGH!!!!

Canon isn't any better. 1100D, Rebel T3, and Kiss X50 ... 3 different codes for the same camera.
Sure. Having 10000 models, Nikon seemed to have to change their way of naming. Canon seems to even have duplicate names for different models on different markets (at least for their 1000000 p&s models)!
Still, these are not enough reason for Pentax to confuse everybody. They have 3 APS-C lines and never have had more than 2 in production. Should have been easier to make it neat. I did not mention the *ist on purpose; they belong to the transition period...
05-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally will abandon PF & dpreview for a few weeks then. Even with the so called K3 I'm afraid both of these forums will be converted to something like what Nikon (D800) and Olympus (E-M5) are doing on dpreview.
That's like leaving town right when the carnival rolls in!

05-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #278
Veteran Member

This looks like a serious attempt by Pentax to outclass the competition by offering features comparable to a 60D or D7000 at an entry-level price. They've done this before with the K-x (at the time, has anyone heard of 4.7 fps or outstanding low-light image quality for $649 with lens?), but this goes beyond that and appears to be a attempt to overtake C&N with a superior product in the entry-level class. It'll be interesting to see how the competition responds...

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Pigeon-hole K-01 as newbie?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Newbies: K-01
Serious newbies: K30
Hobbyists: K-3 (APS-C)
Pros: Full frame K-mount
Studio: 645D

That right there would make a pretty solid & logical lineup.
Perhaps logical if you were one of the three leading camera manufacturers in the world.

I'm yet to learn of a single newbie who has purchased the K-01, or one who is even considering it. I realize that's a Pentax marketing goal, but we are seeing no sign that the marketing scheme is remotely working. Nor should it.

Which documented (existing) camera performs best with fast MF lenses? (Do newbies even know what focus peaking means?)
Which camera makes the most sense as a second camera that allows you most easily to get candid shots (as long as you select a monochrome-clad version)?
Which camera gives you the most video options not known to newbies (again, existing production cameras)?
Which camera gives you the best possible image quality in less than 35mm FF format (a tie for best is still best - which we can assume is far more than a newbie would expect)?
Can a serious, advanced shooter figure out how to deal with a single control dial, or are their minds just not wired that way? Is it correct to say that all single-dial cameras are intended only for newbies?

As someone who has dabbled in quality Fujifilm digital point and shoots for a full decade as daily carry along cameras, and understands where that company is headed, I would predict with some confidence that the Fuji X-Pro1 proportionately will be more of a first (newbie) large-sensor digital than the proportion of K-01 buyers. Of course, Fuji has to think differently than pigeon-holes to compete successfully - and Pentax/Ricoh had better get that too.

Adam, you have done a wonderful job in helping folks on this forum, and telling the story well through your reviews and posts. I only hope that this particular post does not represent any form of inside Pentax knowledge - because it is absolutely the wrong way to pigeon-hole the K-01, let alone how to properly market it.

Here's my prediction: more pros will be shooting the K-01 in 2012 than all of the Pentax full-frame dSLRs combined. And that still will be true in 2013, 2014, and most likely 2015. Just guessing you don't have the full inside story, but if your post turns out absolutely right in this calendar year - well bully for Pentax and Ricoh. They might even be destined to corner the market in Greece!
05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
This looks like a serious attempt by Pentax to outclass the competition by offering features comparable to a 60D or D7000 at an entry-level price. They've done this before with the K-x (at the time, has anyone heard of 4.7 fps or outstanding low-light image quality for $649 with lens?), but this goes beyond that and appears to be a attempt to overtake the competition with a superior product in the entry-level class. It'll be interesting to see how the competition responds... --DragonLord
Well, with the Nikon D3200's 24mp sensor... Pentax should really offer something to grab attention Now I wonder what Canon's and Sony's answer will be.
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #281
Veteran Member

Gee, it doesn't have a prism, 100% coverage, 1.2 x magnification OVF, and doesn't come in Yellow, what a disappointment....

Just kidding of course, but someone will certainly complain about it...
05-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry if this was already posted - I'm on page 7 of 15 as I post this --

Notice the K1000 "K" font for the K30?

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sorry if this was already posted - I'm on page 7 of 15 as I post this -- Notice the K1000 "K" font for the K30D?
Another call for nostalgia? Now that you mention it... adding to the classic Pentax font used in the K-01....

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
it doesn't have a prism, 100% coverage
If what the Pentax rep said on an earlier interview was implemented on this camera, it should have a 100% coverage VF
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sorry if this was already posted - I'm on page 7 of 15 as I post this --

Notice the K1000 "K" font for the K30D?
This is consistent with the K-01 as well. This could signal a return to old K branding, especially as this is appearing on a mainline Pentax DSLR...

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #285
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote

it looks pretty good in these photos to me (except the lens)
The reincarnation of K200D, but more FEATURED.
Good move.