Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
but why make a frame out metal, then add a poly body, then paint it, when you can simply make it out of metal, and paint it?
Because polycarb is extremely strong in its own way.

I have a half-dozen all-metal cameras and where the cover needs to be thin there is an inevitable dent or ding. this is especially true around the high wear areas or exposed protrusions like the prism/hotshoe. Polycarb is ideal for an external covering because it resists or absorbs those intrusions and can accommodate the built-in flash.

Paint on metal brasses easily. Polycarb has much better resistance.

There are many circumstances where plastic is far superior to metals.

My plastic body cameras have all been very durable. I have no problems with modern materials and design. We often over-glorify past manufacturing techniques.

05-18-2012, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
btw.. what is the build like on the k-01?
it too looks all plastic-y....
maybe there's more to k-01 about Where Pentax is heading than people realize.
if the k30 isn't all metal painted to look like plastic, there is still sound reasoning to do it, and at least one model already going that direction, therefore logical to expect a d-slr to follow...
The K-01 is very well built, I tried one. The rubber grip feels grippy, not rubbery, all the painted parts are metal, and the engineering of the pop-up flash is delicious. It looks and feels like a brick.

Going on this, and the style nods towards the WG-02, I suspect the K30 will be very well built and robust. Although I think it looks ugly, if I hadn't bought my K5 a couple of months ago I would probably think very hard about getting this instead. Seems Pentax meant it about competing with Canikon but not replicating them - building niche products. I think they are doing this exceedingly well. I predict we will be seeing K-01s and K30s in places other cameras don't reach - ski-slopes, skate parks, trails, beaches... There's that hipster/action/surfer crossover thing and it's a BIG market. I have a friend runs a bike and snowboard shop, and the amounts people are willing to spend are astronomical. Biketart And these kind of shoppers can be very style conscious.
05-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I use it for exposure bracketing. Very useful for HDR.
That is what i use it for too because it is the most useful option but stilll... it only saves you a few easy button presses (up, left, left, okay)

I want to program ANYTHING to any button please

Last edited by WerTicus; 05-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
05-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And to keep market share you need a $699 kit...because the other brands have one.
Exactly, I never said you didn't. Most certainly there will be a model below this one, since the feature set is far above entry level from the initial look of it.
the step down (K300?) will probably come in at 699 kitted with the DAL2 18-55

05-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #560
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That is what i use it for too because it is the most useful option but stilll... it only saves you 2 very easy button presses (up, left, left, okay)

I want to program ANYTHING to any button please
I still haven't found use for it but it would be easily solved if I could program it to for example the IS.
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #561

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
[...] but the ribbed part on K30 could be very useful while holding camera for vertical orientation (protrait) shots.
What about putting one of the control wheels there --or even around the mount-- to emulate the usage of aperture rings? That would be cool, IMO. Unless you are using a zoom or MF lens, the right hand does all the work with the current DSLR interfaces.
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
There is only one vague scan that triggered this whole exitement, and Amazon has withdrawn the links.
It's not just a weak scan. It's also on the retailer's online catalogue where you can see it with your own eyes if you want to. Page 67.

Boulanger

05-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
It's not just a weak scan. It's also on the retailer's online catalogue where you can see it with your own eyes if you want to. Page 67.

Boulanger
and Adam has posted a thread saying 2 cameras and the DA 50 will be announced Monday. so now lets start the speculation WHAT IS THE OTHER CAMERA!!!!!!
K5N - updated with tilting screen and focus peaking?
Entry level DSLR
Yet another P&S none of us care about
645D2
K mountor for GXR
Pentax branded GXR with a K mountor that uses AF and is not crippled
K5 Monochrome
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #564

?? which thead ? was sure about the 50mm that it would be annonce at the same time, but an other camera as well ?
05-18-2012, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
...so now lets start the speculation WHAT IS THE OTHER CAMERA!!!!!!...
A version of the K-30 that supports wireless file transfer. Available shortly after the K-30 release.

EDIT: jeztastic convinced me otherwise. A front focusing camera that REALLY front focuses.

Last edited by lammie200; 05-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #566
Veteran Member

Two letters:

FF!
05-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

Boulanger
Oke, got it.
I allready looked at it this afternoon but then the page was blank. I assumed it was removed too.
Now it seems more genuine. I wasn`t aware of the other thread.

But how come this retailer has it stil online while Amazon has withdrawn the pics? Could this be because of the holyday?
I don`t remember that someone brought it up (but 38 pages is a long read) but anyone noticed that the modedail switched place?
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #568

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Of course it exists, thats the whole point of having tiers.

This person that spends twice as much on G or S cameras with an appreciation for manual controls and understanding of pixel density would by your own logic, also spring more for the K-5 (or it's successor) and not settle for an entry to mid-tier camera like this K30. maybe as a competent backup, but the G and S series are the Semi-pro/pro models of the compact world, not the middle tier this obviously consumer oriented, multi-colored K30 represents. what exactly do you think the K30 is competing with if not the T3 and D3200?

And before you ask, no, silver and black aren't colors. they're finishes.
Obviously, since the K-30 has more megapixels than the T3, the T3 is automatically out as a real competitor. It also justifies the K-30's higher price.

Or perhaps the T3i and D5xxx series.
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #569
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the other camera was anything of consequence to SLRs, it would have to be one of the best kept camera secrets I've seen in a long time (Pentax in general is good in hiding stuff, but not that good). I'd like to see it being something grand, but I'd be pretty surprised if it really is. Although...... a 50mm lens being released at the same time.... you never know. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Time to bide some time until next week.
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Obviously, since the K-30 has more megapixels than the T3, the T3 is automatically out as a real competitor. It also justifies the K-30's higher price.

Or perhaps the T3i and D5xxx series.
T3whatever. Can't be bothered keeping track of all of Canon's Rebels, though I do know they've had an 18mp one out for quite a while now. We all know a 2mp difference is meaningless (and a 2nd dial is not), but which specification do you think matters more at a Best Buy or other big box retailer?

Now WR means a good bit to anyone, but Adam has confirmed that the K30 will be bundled with non-WR lenses, in one fell swoop negating the one main marketing advantage the K30 had over its bigger MP competitors. Unless it has an articulated screen, don't expect that second dial to change many people's minds.