Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #631
Forum Member

OK, so I just jumped to the last page this time...

05-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #632

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Thats surprising... The exact same picture was posted a couple of pages back... By the guy who's name appears at the bottom of it.
and he probably have more !

Show us the pics !
05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #633

Swivel-screen?

From all the specs I have read, I would say the k-30 is ALMOST a perfect camera for me.

1) 16MP is the maximum that I am prepared to cope with, and as much as one needs unless you are going to print a life-size poster of an elephant. Any more pixels than that means (i) more computing time and storage space, and (ii) lower performance in low light. I am glad Pentax is not going for the pixel wars.

2) That they keep the dual battery (AA+lithium) choice is fantastic news. This is exclusive to Pentax, and makes their camera far more versatile. In some parts of Africa where I have been it is far easier to purchase a packet of AA's than to find an actual socket to plug your battery charger.

3) Dual control wheel, better autofocus for live view (compared to my Kx anything would be better, mind you), Water Resistance... not essential for me, but good touches.

The only thing I am missing, and the only thing that might make me wait for yet another body:

Where is the swivel-screen?. This would really add to the usefulness of the camera, far more than any other feature. Swivel screens are fantastic for candid photos, and for tricky or unusual angles. There is no other single feature that enhances more the usability of a camera, and I can't understand why Pentax does not have it in any of their DSLR's.

Gustau

PS. For the disappointed fans of FF: there is only one feature of FF that one may miss in APS-c, namely, wider angle pictures with narrow DOF. But narrow DOF is generally best for portraits, which are rarely wide angle, while wide angle is more generally used for landscapes, which normally require more, not less, DOF. So, I really can't see why everybody is pining for an expensive and heavy FF camera that brings almost no advantages compared to the APS-C sensor (which on the other hand is better for portraits, long telephoto and macro shooting).
05-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #634
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
and he probably have more !

Show us the pics !
Of the camera or of the girl . . . or both . . .

05-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #635
Veteran Member

Nice photo there... full front pic. And yeah I agree the water droplets look better than... mud... to give the impression of WR.

Though that might send the wrong message to some people in the market to think it's actually waterproof or something.... especially newbies who might have come from P&S like the WG-I or WG-II

QuoteOriginally posted by karlito Quote
not sure but they also have a slt a57 which is better than the a37
Yup and I was talking about the a37, not the 57.
05-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #636
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
A sensual picture that, exhibiting that just-out-of-the-shower look.
Yeah I don't know if I'm supposed to take pictures or shave with it. This blue one looks like it was designed by Gillette.

the marketing is certainly WR, let's hope some kit bundles are also.

The K-Shock ladies and gentlemen.
05-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #637
Site Supporter

On a separate note, I am glad to see a white weather sealed body coming out. I wonder if they will do that with the flagship.
05-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #638
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gustau Quote
From all the specs I have read, I would say the k-30 is ALMOST a perfect camera for me.

The only thing I am missing, and the only thing that might make me wait for yet another body:

Where is the swivel-screen?. This would really add to the usefulness of the camera, far more than any other feature. Swivel screens are fantastic for candid photos, and for tricky or unusual angles. There is no other single feature that enhances more the usability of a camera, and I can't understand why Pentax does not have it in any of their DSLR's.

Gustau
I agree 1000%. The articulating screen is a HUGE issue. I bought a Sony NEX5n when I wanted to buy a K-01 because the K-01 did not have an articulating screen. I would have overlooked the no EVF thing, I would have overlooked the crappy look of the camera (IMHO), but I could not overlook the screen factor !

Those you you that have never used one, you don't understand the ease of use factor for unusual angles or just low angle shots or the ease of use while doing table top product photography and I could go on and on.

If the K-30 does have an articulating screen, it will be time for me to unload all my K-20D's and my K200D's and get the newer generation cameras. I will keep my K-5 and the little K-x's I have (unless the K-30 is the same size as the K-x.

wll.

05-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #639

The K30 looks great! Weather-sealing & 2 dials, just like an improved K200D for 2012

And dear Pentax, can we please have peaking in a DSLR? That would make it perfect for me.
05-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rard731 Quote
And dear Pentax, can we please have peaking in a DSLR? That would make it perfect for me.
They did that with the "designer cam" K-01, it's highly probable even entry-level DSLRs will have it.
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #641

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I certainly hope they won't use AVCHD with 28 Mbit/s limit.... why would you want that even?
Bitrate is not the *only* factor in the IQ. FS100 uses AVCHD, 28-bit, but still it blows away all Canon DSLRs that use higher 50Mbit.
05-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #642
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... seems like someone accidentally posted some pics of the K30 early... but they were taken down after that little gaff...

There's a way to see thumbnails of them, but for my own personal safety I'll let other people figure it out...

That said, it looks alright.. also, there's no swivel screen - the bump is just a bump in the grip. And the built in flash looks like it has crazy tall reach, haha.
05-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #643
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
no swivel screen? bummer. that would have been a killer feature. I'm hoping they are saving that for the K5n.

Guess I'll remain in a holding pattern until Photokina.
Still waiting to hear about the new lens.

Last edited by 7samurai; 05-21-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: remove a line.
05-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #644
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
no swivel screen? bummer. that would have been a killer feature. I'm hoping they are saving that for the K5n.
Hmm, if the K30 doesn't have a swivel screen it raises my hope that the K-5n is not the K30, and that we may see a K-5n announcement soon, too.
05-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #645
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Confirmation on Chasseur d'images forum that it will be a 6fps camera, not 4 (confirmed by Ronan Loac, redactor)
Fuite Amazon: le Pentax K30 d