Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #841
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Boy... I hope you don't work for R/P marketing... is it wrong to offer customer more choices?
I've heard marketing people say that yes, sometime's it is wrong. How many phones does apple offer today?

I think 2 options is too low, but on the other hand, sometimes 500 options is too many for an 'average' customer to understand; they'll get frustrated and move on.

05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #842
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Boy... I hope you don't work for R/P marketing... is it wrong to offer customer more choices?
If they also offered 18-55mm WR kit choices then no it wouldn't be wrong. But they aren't, at least not so far.

If they're marketing Kits as "Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition." when it's clearly false then yes, that's wrong.

Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15679) White 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

You really don't think so?
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #843
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 486
Biggest surprise to me: Pentaprism. I think that's a good sign.
05-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #844
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
-Is this the same Sony sensor as in the k-5 & k-1? I read, but wasn't sure.
-Robyn, The K-30 and K-01 use the same sensor. The K-5 uses an earlier version of this sensor.

-No focus peaking in video mode? Why? What about AF microadjustments and sync speed?
-Jaromir, Focus peaking is available in video mode, just not after the capture has started. The flash sync speed is 1/180 second and yes, it does have the AF micro adjustment.

And now the most interesting one:
-So does this fall between the Pentax K-r and the K-7 then?
-Stefan, I guess you could say this falls between those cameras, but in some aspects has better features than the K-7.

05-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #845
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
If they also offered 18-55mm WR kit choices then no it wouldn't be wrong. But they aren't, at least not so far.

If they're marketing Kits as "Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition." when it's clearly false then yes, that's wrong.

Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15679) White 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

You really don't think so?
But that is only a marketing thing, and I am sure they will correct that as it is usually referred to the camera (new introduction).... "for true-weather resistance, make sure you get the WR lens" or something like will likely appear. The bundling of the 18-55 L version is only to lower the price point for new comers who will eventually upgrade to the WR lens. I just don't see that as a big deal at all.
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #846
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
But that is only a marketing thing, and I am sure they will correct that as it is usually referred to the camera (new introduction).... "for true-weather resistance, make sure you get the WR lens" or something like will likely appear. The bundling of the 18-55 L version is only to lower the price point for new comers who will eventually upgrade to the WR lens. I just don't see that as a big deal at all.
But we were talking about marketing. Sigh.

Fine, you all have faith that Pentax will clear all this up at some later point, but note they're already dealing with the market confusion on their Facebook page and likely more than one person has done pre-ordered from that NewEgg page under false pretense.

Most newcomers don't "upgrade" lenses at all, and calling having to buy an optically identical lens as an "upgrade" is debatable.

I'm glad Pentax has finally embraced affordable WR as a product marketing point, I just wish they didn't leave any room for user/salesperson error or exposure to claims of false advertising.
05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #847
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not sure if the k-30 is more skinnier or chunkier than the k-5 grip.. I think it is about the same, may be a little more stylish.
There was a side by side photo on dpreview (which I can't find now) which clearly showed the K-5 grip was much fatter.
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #848
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
I like the ad...



05-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,606
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
But we were talking about marketing. Sigh.

Fine, you all have faith that Pentax will clear all this up at some later point, but note they're already dealing with the market confusion on their Facebook page and likely more than one person has done pre-ordered from that NewEgg page under false pretense.

Most newcomers don't "upgrade" lenses at all, and calling having to buy an optically identical lens as an "upgrade" is debatable.

I'm glad Pentax has finally embraced affordable WR as a product marketing point, I just wish they didn't leave any room for user/salesperson error or exposure to claims of false advertising.
They don't have, as numerous people have responded. Pentax only claims the K-30 body is weather sealed. But you've sunk your teeth into this meme and you can't let go.

[EDIT: Per Adam B&H will not offer the WR kit lens bundled]
In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR kit lens for $899

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #850
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
But we were talking about marketing. Sigh.

Fine, you all have faith that Pentax will clear all this up at some later point, but note they're already dealing with the market confusion on their Facebook page and likely more than one person has done pre-ordered from that NewEgg page under false pretense.

Most newcomers don't "upgrade" lenses at all, and calling having to buy an optically identical lens as an "upgrade" is debatable.

I'm glad Pentax has finally embraced affordable WR as a product marketing point, I just wish they didn't leave any room for user/salesperson error or exposure to claims of false advertising.
False pretense or not.. the 7D is also claimed to be weather resistance to some degree.. but do they have true WR lens (may be some L glasses), and do they bundle the WR L lenses in order to claim it to be WR capable?

I agree that Pentax should take advantage selling the 18-135 WR lens as a bundle, but for some newcomers, WR is not necessarily the top priority (lower cost may be). At least knowing that the camera is capable to weather the weather in any condition is already a big selling point.
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #851
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
And now the most interesting one:
-So does this fall between the Pentax K-r and the K-7 then?
-Stefan, I guess you could say this falls between those cameras, but in some aspects has better features than the K-7.
We can now say that this is NOT a true low end camera and rather a middle ground.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I like the ad...
Great ad! I'm drooling as I watch it.
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #852
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They don't have, as numerous people have responded. Pentax only claims the K-30 body is weather sealed. But you've sunk your teeth into this meme and you can't let go.

In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR for $899
They don't have what? It's only the first day. I've shown proof but you dismiss it. NewEgg claims the DA-L kit is fully weather sealed, multiply that error by thousands of less than thorough retailers and you have a marketing problem. They should fix it.
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #853
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They don't have, as numerous people have responded. Pentax only claims the K-30 body is weather sealed. But you've sunk your teeth into this meme and you can't let go.

In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR kit lens for $899
Wow, for 50 dollars more you get the 18-55 WR is really nice indeed....
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #854
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Wow, for 50 dollars more you get the 18-55 WR is really nice indeed....
Not confirmed (but I certainly hope so). It shows the 18-55 DA-L in the picture and Adam has been asked to look into it.
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #855
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There was a side by side photo on dpreview (which I can't find now) which clearly showed the K-5 grip was much fatter.
I think you may be right.. the K-5 is fatter... but still comparing to the Canikon camera grips.. it is chunky and the curves fits into the hands quite nicely.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-30, k30, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, picture
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a list of Pentax and aftermarket weather sealed lenses? VoiceOfReason Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-09-2012 08:06 PM
Suggestion Adding categories to Pentax DSLR Discussion Ivan Glisin Site Suggestions and Help 2 01-04-2011 09:51 AM
No discussion of the latest Wikileaks leak? Really? deadwolfbones General Talk 7 07-28-2010 09:30 PM
Pentax Weather Sealed Flash! HermanLee Pentax News and Rumors 16 05-07-2009 08:06 PM
Weather sealed non-Pentax* lenses Spex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-29-2008 10:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top