Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #856
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Not confirmed (but I certainly hope so). It shows the 18-55 DA-L in the picture and Adam has been asked to look into it.
Here is the clip from BH photo which shows WR zoom lens.... hmm... my wallet is not safe.. the blue one looks mighty tempting

Attached Images

05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #857
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I m late to the party. And my jaw bones just dropped to the ground. That is an incredible spec!! I m speechless
05-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #858
Veteran Member

-What is main difference between K-5 and K-30?
-The K-5 has a magnesium alloy body, the K-30 is polycarbonate (both with aluminum alloy chassis); the video features of the K-30 are more advanced due to the PRIME M engine; RAW files are 14 bit on the K-5, 12 bit on the K-30; the K-5 has HDMI socket and a microphone jack, while the K-30 does not.

-Is this the replacement for K-r?
-Neil, It is not really a replacement for the K-r since it offers so many higher end features.

-More advanced video features without HDMI socket and microphone jack? Sounds a little bit strange.
-Olaf, I think that depends on your shooting style and how you use the camera.

-This is a bitchin' camera! Such a great set of features!
It says no focus peaking while recording video. Is there focus peaking while using live view and manual focus? And is there focus peaking on the K-01 while recording video?
-Alexander, There is focus peaking up to the point the video recording starts. It is also available in live view mode both when manual focusing as well as auto focus.

- Ok, that's nice to hear Does this apply for the K-01 as well? (thinking about focus peaking not being active while recording video, this makes me think it is, I see no reason for it to be on one and not the other).
- Alexander, The functionality in the K-01 for focus peaking is the same.
05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #859
Veteran Member

A huge image of the camera: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/RiceHigh/K30/K-30_ClassicBlack_18-55.jpg

05-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #860
Veteran Member

I have to say, I am very impressed with Pentax. I have been thinking about switching to micro 4/3, because the small size complements my shooting style, but the k-30 will make me think twice. It seems like it is my k200D with all of the bugs fixed (i.e. high iso shooting, fast autofocus, pentaprism, autofocus light). Now the real question I have is whether the shutter will be quiet like the k-5 or loud like the k200D.
05-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #861
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Here is the clip from BH photo which shows WR zoom lens.... hmm... my wallet is not safe.. the blue one looks mighty tempting

Not in the picture it doesn't. That's the DA-L.

and its the same price as the non-WR Kits shown elsewhere. there's a good chance a big retailer like B&H got a special kit, but I would still double-check to make sure. either the listing or the picture is wrong, either way: market confusion.
05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and its the same price as the non-WR Kits shown elsewhere. there's a good chance a big retailer like B&H got a special kit, but I would still double-check to make sure. either the listing or the picture is wrong, either way: market confusion.
n response to your previous question, Pentax doesn't have risk - and they haven't since something like 1985.

[EDIT:] Per Adam B&H will not offer the WR kit lens bundled. As to the B&H kit, the text says WR in three places. The photo is stock.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #863
Veteran Member

Thanks, if I put my order through I will make sure that it is the WR lens... very attractive price point for the WR lens if it is indeed bundled with the k-30 body.
05-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #864
Veteran Member

With the introduction of k-30, I don't think they need another DSLR at a lower level to compete with Canikon similar model. Perhaps, the k-01 would become the entry level APS-C camera. What do you think?
05-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #865
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I like the ad...
That is a pretty awesome ad. Much better than 'don't take anybody's shit'.
05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #866
Veteran Member

With the introduction of k-30, I don't think they need another DSLR at a lower level to compete with Canikon similar model. Perhaps, the k-01 would become the entry level APS-C camera. What do you think?
I would completely agree with this if only the K-01 had a VF or even just the ability to attach one.
05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #867
Veteran Member

I think they should, a Kx like camera at the 500-600 $ might be very extractive
05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #868

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There was a side by side photo on dpreview (which I can't find now) which clearly showed the K-5 grip was much fatter.
I think you may be referring to this one: Pentax K-30 Hands-on Preview.

For being an actual "hands-on" preview, there isn't much of the type of information that one would (theoretically) expect from a writer who is actually holding the camera. Instead, it seems as if he wrote most of his commentary based solely on Pentax's official specs sheet. There are a couple of minor comments that are clearly based on his hands-on experience, but that's about it. Maybe he will give a more detailed update in a day or three.
05-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #869
ogl
Banned

As I understand there is no HDMI port.

Last edited by ogl; 05-21-2012 at 08:06 PM.
05-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #870
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
I think you may be referring to this one: Pentax K-30 Hands-on Preview.

For being an actual "hands-on" preview, there isn't much of the type of information that one would (theoretically) expect from a writer who is actually holding the camera. Instead, it seems as if he wrote most of his commentary based solely on Pentax's official specs sheet. There are a couple of minor comments that are clearly based on his hands-on experience, but that's about it. Maybe he will give a more detailed update in a day or three.
Here's another one: Pentax K-30 Camera - Hands-On Preview

QuoteQuote:
We're told to expect better image quality than the K-5, so we're pretty excited to get a shootable Pentax K-30 into the lab for testing. Stay tuned!

Last edited by causey; 05-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.