Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #946
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just reread the specs for the K30 and noticed that it incorporates "Face Detection"! Something I really miss about Nikon, never misfocusing a face.

05-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #947
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't be surprised if it also has pet face detection, and smile detection. The compacts do. If you have the technology, why not put it in all your products? Software doesn't cost anything once you've developed it.
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #948
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I did of course mean no need to meet the old models (ei D3000) selling at 399, but have something to compete with current gen models (ie d3100 and later D3200 which hasn't dropped yet), as time passes maybe they can consider having a run at the old model market.

I left sales 6 years back so your safe from me overselling you
Dont think this camera will hurt the low end market for other brands, i think the D7000 and 60D might feel it more.
Just compare the K-30 and the D7000, it's for 80% the same camera but the K-30 is $400 cheaper.
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #949
Inactive Account

The K-30 looks like it will be a great camera but I can't help but feel sorry for K-5 users when I read about the improvements to AF. This makes me want to hold out for the K-5 replacement even more.

05-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #950
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicheretic Quote
The K-30 looks like it will be a great camera but I can't help but feel sorry for K-5 users when I read about the improvements to AF. This makes me want to hold out for the K-5 replacement even more.
Yeah but that's the only point luckily, beside that i haven't seen a comparison so maybe the differnce is so good as nothing.
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #951
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Dont think this camera will hurt the low end market for other brands, i think the D7000 and 60D might feel it more.
Just compare the K-30 and the D7000, it's for 80% the same camera but the K-30 is $400 cheaper.
i agree this hurts the 60 D and D7000 more.. I was speaking of the next (ie entry model) Pentax at that point . For instance a Kx or Kr level camera with a 24mp sensor to battle the D3200, either body design outdoes the D3200 so it's a matter of competing on sensor. jsut keep the camera simple and limited with high MP, but more useful than D3200 (ie AF with any AF lens not just the higher price or newer ones)
05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #952
Veteran Member

Already said it in the other thread, 24mp is 50% pixels more so if they use the Prime-m processor and the same buffer your performance will be cut down quite a bit.
I don't know what is easier to sell, but it might be cheaper to use the same hardware that is in the K-01 and the K-30.

05-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #953
Veteran Member

Already said it in the other thread, 24mp is 50% pixels more so if they use the Prime-m processor and the same buffer your performance will be cut down quite a bit.
I don't know what is easier to sell, but it might be cheaper to use the same hardware that is in the K-01 and the K-30.
I agree that would be cheaper, just not sure how well it will sell in the typical entry level environment where there is little to no informed sales help (like say Target or walmart or costco for instance - the majority of entry level sales are probably not online or for that matter researched online, but instead bought on impulse when shopping)
05-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #954
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
impulse when shopping
But if we are honest, how many will buy a Pentax on an impulse, they will all go for Nikon or Canon because they know the name or even Sony.

I agree with you that it might be easier to sell, dont get me wrong but i think that if we look at every aspects that it might not really matter in the end.
Pentax should get some really positive reviews, that's where they might win the most souls with.

The K-30 would be intersting to review, are they going to put it up against the D7000 and the 60D or against the D3200?
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #955

I like how Pentax picked the best pieces of several cameras to make one hell of a blend (at least on paper).

They have used that same, high quality 3" LCD across several cameras now. I do hope this is the last time we see this screen, however. Pentax needs to start putting in either higher resolution screens, flip out screens, or both to stay ahead in terms of LCD quality.

Focus peaking is great and I'm glad to see it carry over from the K-01. Hopefully there is a firmware update that allows for focus peaking during video usage.

Prime M is awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing a dual processor camera at the high end however since then we can have some cool functions like longer continuous shooting, and like the J1, shooting pictures while taking video.

The K-r had a nifty system with using the AA adapter or the Li-ion battery. Frankly, I don't think I would miss using the K-r battery vs the K-5 battery. You would still need a spare in either case and I still find myself having a hard time depleting the K-r's battery, let alone two of them.

Weathersealing is welcome as well.

Pentax is also sticking to aggressive pricing. At $900, this is a good midway between cameras like the D5100 and the next step up- like the D7000.

So yeah, I do hope this is the midrange camera and Pentax introduces an entry level body to keep that gravy train of successful cameras alive.
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #956
Veteran Member

But if we are honest, how many will buy a Pentax on an impulse, they will all go for Nikon or Canon because they know the name or even Sony.

I agree with you that it might be easier to sell, dont get me wrong but i think that if we look at every aspects that it might not really matter in the end.
Pentax should get some really positive reviews, that's where they might win the most souls with.

The K-30 would be intersting to review, are they going to put it up against the D7000 and the 60D or against the D3200?
My guess is the reviewers if they get it right will put it against the D5100 and the T3i
05-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #957
Veteran Member

In this hipster culture, if Pentax can display multi-color variation of their dslr, they will sell. But only if they can stock enough in these stores.
05-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #958
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
They have used that same, high quality 3" LCD across several cameras now. I do hope this is the last time we see this screen, however. Pentax needs to start putting in either higher resolution screens, flip out screens, or both to stay ahead in terms of LCD quality.
Flip out screens would be useful for video, and a screen with OLED resolution (like the iPhone 4s ) on the higher end would be a nice step up

Focus peaking is great and I'm glad to see it carry over from the K-01. Hopefully there is a firmware update that allows for focus peaking during video usage..
This is something i really hope to see on the K3 (or whatever they call it)

Prime M is awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing a dual processor camera at the high end however since then we can have some cool functions like longer continuous shooting, and like the J1, shooting pictures while taking video..
Dual prime M would be highly likely on the 24mp model i think just for speed, along with dual cards I hope

Pentax is also sticking to aggressive pricing. At $900, this is a good midway between cameras like the D5100 and the next step up- like the D7000.
Agreed it hits a sweet spot between the 2 leaning toward the feature set of the higher price one
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #959
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
In this hipster culture, if Pentax can display multi-color variation of their dslr, they will sell. But only if they can stock enough in these stores.
having the 3 colours on display in Target (pretty much assured based on ned's comments) will sell a good number ....if ever there was a hipster 5 and dime it's Target
05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #960
Veteran Member

Prime M is awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing a dual processor camera at the high end however since then we can have some cool functions like longer continuous shooting, and like the J1, shooting pictures while taking video.
Prime M is relative low end when we start to compare with other current processors.
The Prime II which is now 2 years old is able to keep up with it it seems, and 2 years is a long time when it comes to computers.
So why you think the Prime M is awesome is a bit beyond me.

The 6th gen Fujitsu Milbeaut is the one to get, or 7th gen maybe, now that would be awesome.

6th gen.
8 frames per second (at a 14 megapixel resolution) - that's processing speed, so with 16mp sensor it will pump 7 photos every second to the SD card meaning that with the K-30 for example it will never fill the buffer.
With the Prime-M the buffer is full after 8 photos at 6fps so that is... 1 maybe 2 photos per second that it process?

the 7th gen
is even faster
HDR video
1080p with 60 frames.
JPEG-XR

About dual prime-m, that is very hard to code, it's easier to simply put in a faster processor.
The 6th gen Fujitsu Milbeaut is actually a dual core by design so you can save yourself the troubles.