Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #991
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote
Should I get the K-30 or K-5 for my K100D upgrade ? I think the K-5 will be a better choice or not ? Don't need movie mode.
I'd wait for a review. Bang for buck the K-30 is probably a better deal from where you are starting. I am the kind of guy who puts my $$$ in lenses and gets lower end cameras.

05-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #992
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it also has pet face detection, and smile detection. The compacts do. If you have the technology, why not put it in all your products? Software doesn't cost anything once you've developed it.
Mmm IMO in this case it is more of a licensed software product. In which case, yes it would cost more.
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #993
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,166
still lot's of pluses to K5, K-30 wins on movie mode, has focus peaking, supposedly better AF, and probably faster processing due to prime M
K5 -better build, 14 bit, plus a number of other things

best bet is compare with your old camera (either are a huge leap forward)

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K100D - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
05-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #994
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I'd wait for a review. Bang for buck the K-30 is probably a better deal from where you are starting. I am the kind of guy who puts my $$$ in lenses and gets lower end cameras.

For me the second dial is indispensable, and of course either qualifies. I'd personally *probably* still get the K-5... the K-30's focus peaking would give me pause, though.

05-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #995
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,166
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
For me the second dial is indispensable. My minimum Pentax is now the K-30.
me too, the second dial is a deal breaker for me (among the many reasons i returned the kx i tried and later bought a K7)
05-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #996
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote
Should I get the K-30 or K-5 for my K100D upgrade ? I think the K-5 will be a better choice or not ? Don't need movie mode.
Here I agree with Aristophanes. Lets wait for the reviews.

If the K-30 had a pentamirror, it would have been no contest.

14 bit vs 12 bit, metal vs plastic, top LCD vs none is countered by potential K-30 AF improvements etc. I also happen to like the dial on the right. The K-30 looks to be a camera very easily useable with one hand.

I am also very happy that the LV button has moved way away. I don't have a big nose, but at my son's birthday dinner tonight I still put the K-x into Live View by accident.

Let's hope for the luxe K-5 shutter sound; regardless, the K-30 is a powerhouse.
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #997
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
me too, the second dial is a deal breaker for me (among the many reasons i returned the kx i tried and later bought a K7)
I didn't know how important a second dial was until I bought my Z-1p.

I think most tech journalists don't realise either. Most of the statements regarding twin dials and pentaprism have come from readers rather than the actual writers of articles.

Now Pentax need to work on an ultrasonic kit lens. Keep the screw, but adjust the bar for new customers expecting near silence.
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #998
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I didn't know how important a second dial was until I bought my Z-1p.

I think most tech journalists don't realise either. Most of the statements regarding twin dials and pentaprism have come from readers rather than the actual writers of articles.

Now Pentax need to work on an ultrasonic kit lens. Keep the screw, but adjust the bar for new customers expecting near silence.
that would be good as well.

the fact that at 849 we have a dual wheel camera with pentaprism is amazing, but most buyers won't understand why
until they pick up the rebel beside it and look through the viewfinder in the case of the pentaprism (I never had a Pentamirror camera until i bought (and returned) the kx hated it

05-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #999
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
still lot's of pluses to K5, K-30 wins on movie mode, has focus peaking, supposedly better AF, and probably faster processing due to prime M
K5 -better build, 14 bit, plus a number of other things

best bet is compare with your old camera (either are a huge leap forward)

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K100D - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
I think the biggest thing for me is that the k5 has a lot deeper buffer than it sounds like the K30 will have. I think the K5 does 20-ish RAW files in the buffer (a little over three seconds), while at least at present the K-30 has a buffer of what, 8 frames in RAW?

Anyway, I expect the main improvement in the K30 are the video mode features which aren't that big a deal...
05-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #1000
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 39
Hm
K-5 Hi: 7 fps: up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) with firmware upgrade,
K-30 Hi: 6 fps (JPG, RAW not possible) ???

No RAW at 6 fps ? only at 2 fps ?
05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1001
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote
Hm
K-5 Hi: 7 fps: up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) with firmware upgrade,
K-30 Hi: 6 fps (JPG, RAW not possible) ???

No RAW at 6 fps ? only at 2 fps ?
K5 you got right.
K-30 is 6 fps up to 8 frames buffer with RAW only, according to Pentax.

You can use 3fps as well, then the buffer will be 10 frames, in those 3 seconds the camera process 2 frames more... not very impressive.
05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #1002
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
there might be some confusion here, there are two different software , supplied with:
KX,KR,K7 ,K5 PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 (4.35) with SILKYPIX Image Processing Engine
Q SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX (3.0.0.3)
What is the processing engine in the Silkypix Dev. Studio 3.0? Did Silkypix double back on their numbering system?
05-23-2012, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #1003
Veteran Member
pentaximus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Covington, Georgia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 915
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I am also very happy that the LV button has moved way away. I don't have a big nose, but at my son's birthday dinner tonight I still put the K-x into Live View by accident.
I don't know why, but that really struck me funny!
05-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #1004
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
I'd be wary Ramsey. The lenses in the pic are definitely the DA-Ls, just like the 18-55mm DA-L kit that still has an incorrect listing as a DA WR kit.

Somewhere during the launch, B&H got mixed up. ...
UPDATE: I see by another thread that you already know about the following, illdefined. For anyone else who does not yet know, read on.

Well, it appears that B&H corrected their mistake. They are no longer (mistakenly) offering the 18-55 WR lens with the K-30.

Click here (it is the same for all three colors).

I had a bad feeling that you were right, illdefined.

Last edited by Welfl; 05-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #1005
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,707
Just Posted: Pentax K-30 video preview: Digital Photography Review
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-30, k30, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, picture
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a list of Pentax and aftermarket weather sealed lenses? VoiceOfReason Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-09-2012 08:06 PM
Suggestion Adding categories to Pentax DSLR Discussion Ivan Glisin Site Suggestions and Help 2 01-04-2011 09:51 AM
No discussion of the latest Wikileaks leak? Really? deadwolfbones General Talk 7 07-28-2010 09:30 PM
Pentax Weather Sealed Flash! HermanLee Pentax News and Rumors 16 05-07-2009 08:06 PM
Weather sealed non-Pentax* lenses Spex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-29-2008 10:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top