Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Entry level, Weather Resistant, a front freaking dial, mode dial still on the right (sorry guys, I had the left side mode dial), and what looks like a hellishly awesomely ergonomic body..

If it's the k-5's sensor, and if it's 900 bucks with the 18-55, I think I'll go for it over the k-5... or even the k-5 replacement..

Also - I don't care about 4 FPS, as long as the buffer is frigging huge.

05-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I'm really glad to see this - Ricoh is alive and well!
The K5 form factor was just too good to not reuse.

So i think the K-mount lineup in Fall 2012 will consist of:

K3: Either the 24 mpx Sony APS sensor or a FF

K30: K5 repeat, perhaps with some lower spec features, should include new firmware features of K01

Kr Replacement: still to be seen. Kr wasn't WR, so i don't see K30 as a Kr replacement, more like a K200

K01 mirrorless line but still has the K-mount.

Note 1: Q and 645D not included because they have a different mount

Note 2: This is nearly the expanded model line that Ricoh initially talked about, if memory serves.
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #48
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I'm wondering is why Pentax must be so inconsistent with their camera names...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

A little reminiscent of the K200D -- mid-level, weather-sealed. Looks pretty small.

I actually doubt that forward-leaning flash housing is any worse than the K-5/7 or K20D, any of which can also conflict with certain lenses. Suspect that the design is more a result of lowering the prism/flash housing a bit further.

Admittedly it's a little weird-looking, but you can imagine it was inspired by the air intakes on a fighter jet like F-14, F-15, etc.

I can imagine that they may stick with a 3-model lineup -- K-01, K30, and K-5 (or K-5 successor) lineup in the near term. At some point they may do a K-01 follow-up, possibly with more restrained styling and even lower cost? Pentax may be acknowledging that it may be hard to compete with small MILC on size or price with SLRs.

05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #50

Why not K300d?
05-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #51

The body looks just wonderful! I hope the rest of the specs would match the price
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Entry level, Weather Resistant, a front freaking dial, mode dial still on the right (sorry guys, I had the left side mode dial), and what looks like a hellishly awesomely ergonomic body..

If it's the k-5's sensor, and if it's 900 bucks with the 18-55, I think I'll go for it over the k-5... or even the k-5 replacement..

Also - I don't care about 4 FPS, as long as the buffer is frigging huge.
Sadly I do care about the fps as I shot sports and 2-4 pics at a higher speed is way more important than 10 ones a lower speed.

05-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I see a three teir APS-C DSLR line-up with the following names:
K3 (high-end)
K30 (mid-level)
k300 (low-end)

Still with the names like K-10D, K-20D then the K-7 and K-5 One wonders if the naming will go up on down after the next series is replaced. Then again that will be 1 to 2 years from now. Could they re-use the K-5 name but this time without the dash?

I also can see a LX-3 for a full frame high-end camera and a LX-30 for the low-end full frame camera.
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The K30 is so close to the K5 in it's specs, it makes me think they're going to kick their next top-of-the-line camera up considerably higher. This is very encouraging.
05-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #55

This looks like a reasonable upgrade. I don't have the K-r but have used one for a few pictures and it's a fine camera. I tend to agree with others who have suggested that this camera will probably set in the middle of the Pentax line. Specs look a little too high to be priced at a point where it will compete well against lower line Canikon cameras. I too look forward to seeing what the replacement for the K-5 will look like.
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay so its a k200d replacement... but why would you buy this over a K-5? You wouldn't. Not with the current price of the K-5.
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

The camera looks a bit.. surprised? But nice grip, looks like good materials. What buttons and dials can we make out from the pic?
This thing really makes me want to upgrade from my K-r.. the WR and better sensor, for a very good price..
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Well pricing is likely to change by fall. all of them release higher than they settle to. market forces end up dictating the real sell price. I imagine this will settle about $750 w kit lens and the entry will settle about 500-550
05-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

As others have mentioned, it seems similar in overall positioning to the K200D, which was initially perceived as being too expensive for an entry-level camera and hence somewhat of a failure at first but is rather more highly prized now in hindsight as perhaps the only small AA-based weather sealed DSLR ever made (?).

Now, if I were designing a K200D replacement, I personally would have given it a larger pentaprism viewfinder and not bothered with the second dial. Not that I'd turn down a second dial if it were offered, but given the choice, I'll pick a better viewfinder without hesitation. One lets you take better better pictures, the just occasionally helps you shoot a little faster.
05-16-2012, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #60

Hi all. just done a quick search for K30 on the amazon.co.uk website and sure enough here they are........although if you click on the individual links there's nothing to be found

Amazon.co.uk: pentax k30