Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #106

is that a focus assist lamp, right of the shutter button? that would be a first, right? (i'm not so familiar with the entry level pentaxes)

05-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
It looks even more like a toy than the K-x.
In what way does it look like a toy?
05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO this looks just like any other DSLR. Clean but with a unique touch here and there.
I agree and don't understand the comments. A typical DSLR with just some minor design tweaks here and there. The relatively big grip works probably pretty well. I'm not looking for a camera like this, but I think many will like this long-awaited K200D replacement. I just hope they've finally managed to make the AF work properly.
05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #109
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
is that a focus assist lamp, right of the shutter button? that would be a first, right? (i'm not so familiar with the entry level pentaxes)
Yes it is and K-r actually has one too.

05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually like the new futuristic design.

The weather sealing, 100% viewfinder, and dual e-dials are certainly going to influence first-time DSLR buyers--these are feature no one else offers at this price level. Availability is set for June 25 at least in the UK.

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO this looks just like any other DSLR. Clean but with a unique touch here and there.
Really? there's quite a lot of 'unique' touches all over the camera. The sloped nameplate I've never seen before, pockmarked grips, serrated side to the lens housing, exaggerated AF lamp "eye". It looks like one of those cheap aftermarket aero kits they add to mediocre cars to make them look faster. it's all very 'extreme' looking.

I wasn't the first to say it looks like a transformer. or "fun".

The K5 and Kr are clean. This is undeniably stylized.
05-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
In what way does it look like a toy?
see above.

05-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #113
Veteran Member

I like the design, very refreshing... unlike other brands, simply boring and confusing model numbers. Putting two dials in the entry level camera is probably first of its kind, probably good for Pentax to differentiate itself from the rest.
05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #114
Veteran Member

It looks like Pentax will be going to a three-camera DSLR line-up. K5 and beyond, K30 and beyond and K300 and beyond. It makes a lot of sense. So, as others have already said, it appears the K30 will be a mid-line DSLR. But, on the other hand, there's no top LCD screen as on the K200D. Maybe the K30 really is a fantastic entry-level DSLR. Either way, I have a K5 and have kept my K200D as a back-up. But perhaps not for much longer. Ricoh certainly isn't wasting time - a good thing.
05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #115
Veteran Member

They've obviously grown very fond of the Optio WG-2 design, or whatever that cameras called. It's gotten a lot of attention because of it's transformer looks, so they decided to get that into DSLR form.

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't have an ISO button within easy reach of the shutter button though. I use that much more than I use the green button, but then I suppose the green button has a lot of fans, and is a Pentax hallmark.

This is like Pentax's D5100 or something, but way better. Hopefully it'll have focus peaking and a fantastic movie mode, that alone would be a reason for buying over the K-5.

Also, with a 16MP, 6FPS, weather sealed mid-range body, the high-end body is going to have to be something very special indeed ;D
05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #116
Veteran Member

About the name, maybe Pentax sees this as a K20D replacement? I remember way back when, hearing that the K-7 was not the K20D replacement. The K30 is probably not a metal body, nor was the K20D, two wheels, exterior buttons. Compared to the K20D, the K30 has all the previous plus faster operation, higher fps, more pixels, better DR, higher ISO performance, movie mode. The question marks are the OVF and maybe a couple of buttons. If it has a pentaprism, there's no reason this could not be called a K20D replacement instead of the K200D replacement. I draw a big line between one wheel and two. The K200D had one wheel.
05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The camera is EVF based.
and you know this how...?
05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Remember what a Ricoh representative said about viewfinders--100% finders even in entry-level cameras. Many consumers underestimate the value of a 100% finder, because it means you're not going to get extraneous material outside the viewfinder frame.

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
and you know this how...?
This was based on an erroneous Google Image Search result (the first result is in fact an X70 per Google Search by Image), sorry. That post was deleted.

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The camera is EVF based.
Any source for that?