Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Many consumers underestimate the value of a 100% finder, because it means you're not going to get extraneous material outside the viewfinder frame.
i always liked the less-than-100%-viewfinder of my K10D - when i screwed up the framing when taking the shot, i would have some material to make a better frame in pp

05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Any source for that?
This was an error, see above. I've sent feedback to Google regarding the error.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 05-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #123

I also like the new logo a lot better than the one on my current Pentax DSLRs.
It looks much more robust and much more "even".
05-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #124

Photos: Gallery
For me the main conclusion from this release is indeed the fact that everything will be fine with the K-mount and Pentax. I am not sure if I will buy this camera since K-5 seems to be my friend for a long time, but the new product from Pentax make me believe in great future for Pentax.

05-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
i always liked the less-than-100%-viewfinder of my K10D - when i screwed up the framing when taking the shot, i would have some material to make a better frame in pp
Solution: Frame. Take one step back. Shoot.
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #126
Veteran Member

I personally like the rugged look, especial since I think it will be able to back up the claim. This will be one of the smallest large-sensor weather resistant cameras out there. The Olympus OM-D is probably the only real competition, but Pentax has it topped in affordable WR glass and the positives of a traditional SLR.

If Pentax completely moves rugged with their entire DSLR line, that is the smartest thing they will do in a long time. This is the type of differentiator they need to sway people in other systems. Seriously if this gets into retails stores, I could see it being very appealing to the average customers who like the outdoors. I'd like to see all of the lenses in the line up eventually be revamped to incorporate WR (some would probably have two versions for cost reasons).

Not having a top LCD is probably going to be a bit difficult to transition to, but the suggested price needed some compromises to work. I also hope they didn't skimp on the mirror/shutter system and decided to use a k-5 or better shutter in the sound department. I think this might be my K-7 replacement and be the Robin to my K-5 Batman.
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #127
Inactive Account

I think it looks a good camera. This will presumably sit between k-r and k-5 in 'current' range as others have said, but in time between a truly entry-level k-300(?) and a replacement for the k-5 (k-3, perhaps?) thus expanding the Pentax DSLR offerings to be closer to those offered by Canon and Nikon. The spec. may appear similar to the k-5 but I'm guessing it is smaller and lighter (no top LCD) and it takes AA batteries as alternative - all good to my perspective looking to replace an ageing *istDS - and presumably the k-5 replacement will offer a higher spec. level at high launch price. I was seriously thinking of a k-5 but I may hold off for this if it offers similar IQ in smaller, lighter package. Just hope the viewfinder is good enough. It had better not be EVF. Also that overall build quality is there - Pentax 'feel' so much better than Nikon/Canon, so I hope the handling is there regardless of the looks.

05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a shame they put the kit lens on it. Marketing wise, the DA 40 XS would have made it a lot more attractive.
05-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Top LCD is going to be a sore miss for me, because I've played with a k-5 and thought that the top LCD was brilliant. Best way to make me not want the top LCD is to make the viewfinder text to be much more contrasty when I shoot towards bright sunlight.
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I like the design, very refreshing... unlike other brands, simply boring and confusing model numbers. Putting two dials in the entry level camera is probably first of its kind, probably good for Pentax to differentiate itself from the rest.
Hear that a lot regarding Pentax lately, "refreshing". It's certainly very distinctive, and it's gotten a lot of press, but is it successful?

Pentax steered clear of the red hot retro bandwagon (PEN, OM-D, FUJI X), a trend they were uniquely qualified to participate in but only played with briefly with the (now discontinued?) Q, and is seemingly putting all its chips in "futuristic". I'm not sure that's a niche photo people want filled.

High-tech newcomers not burdened with nostalgia are drawn to the consumer electronic designs of Sony and Panasonic, and that makes sense coming from those companies. Unlike Pentax, those brands aren't traditional photo brands, having dumped SLRs altogether. Pentax, like this camera (and the K-01), is becoming an anachronism. Wrapping old technology in a new futuristic skin, when it seems it's the opposite people want.
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Solution: Frame. Take one step back. Shoot.
Yes, good point. But: I basically admitted that i am stupid sometimes. And your solution: Be smart. :-D If only everything was so easy :-)
05-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Hear that a lot regarding Pentax lately, "refreshing". It's certainly very distinctive, and it's gotten a lot of press, but is it successful?

Pentax steered clear of the red hot retro bandwagon (PEN, OM-D, FUJI X), a trend they were uniquely qualified to participate in but only played with briefly with the (now discontinued?) Q, and is seemingly putting all its chips in "futuristic". I'm not sure that's a niche photo people want filled.

High-tech newcomers not burdened with nostalgia are drawn to the consumer electronic designs of Sony and Panasonic, and that makes sense coming from those companies. Unlike Pentax, those brands aren't traditional photo brands, having dumped SLRs altogether. Pentax, like this camera (and the K-01), is becoming an anachronism. Wrapping old technology in a new futuristic skin, when it seems it's the opposite people want.
Would you rather see a T1i, T2i, T3i or similar conventional models... or 5D/7D.... all too boring for me... I honestly don't want to see Pentax going in that direction... perhaps it is just me, I guess (and I even like the Q better than the G12)....
05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Yes, good point. But: I basically admitted that i am stupid sometimes. And your solution: Be smart. :-D If only everything was so easy :-)
Was poking some fun at you

I do want a 100% viewfinder, even though I almost always crop afterwards anyways. It's just the thought that it's not restricted in any way.
05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Was poking some fun at you
:-) i know
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Pentax, like this camera (and the K-01), is becoming an anachronism. Wrapping old technology in a new futuristic skin, when it seems it's the opposite people want.
LOL! The opposite of what you want is for Pentax to succeed. You should not presume to speak for the people here.

You've picked a bad time to troll. I think the mood right now is a little too jovial for your sad sack tactics to bring anyone down.