Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
With so many ridges on the body.... cleaning the camera will be a pain... LOL

05-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #167
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Ooooo, exciting! I like this camera, step up from the K-01 for not much more- also a great 2nd body for those with a K5 already
Remember K5 will get a replacement soon so you might see the price either stabilise or fall significantly.
I hope Ricoh/Pentax have the resources to be developing the K30 and a successor for the K5 at the same time. I hope this doesn't mean that the only new Pentax DSLR we will see announced this year is the K30.
05-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Better to try and advance a new design rather than stick with old ones though eh? I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure putting another retro styled SLR out there would really be any better than this. If Pentax want to go for the rugged style then so be it. I think making a new design is far better than trying to re-hash an old one, like the OM-D or the Fuji cameras. For example, I think Samsungs NX200 is one of the best looking cameras going, but then I think I'm fairly alone in that regard. I also think the K-01 is an amazing piece of kit aesthetically.
Oh absolutely, Pentax already missed the boat. If they released a D-LX now it would immediately be relegated "me-too".

But this K30 seems all too much a transparent attempt at cashing in on the "sporty-rugged" look from the weatherproof compacts. That I don't think they even make (Pentax compacts other than the Q are still outsourced no?).

This 80's walkman, faux-rugged look is annoying to me because it's a clearly a *look* more than it is a utilitarian design. All those grooves on the side and holes in the grip are just going to get clogged with dirt and grime if you really try to take it "outside". Unless you take the thing jogging and argue that they could help with sweaty hands, but I've never heard that complaint about Pentax cameras before.

You know what's really tough? a K-5. and a GRD. These cameras are universally applauded for their design and toughness, in such a similar way that it made these two companies coming together seem like an arranged marriage. A GRD feels like a K-5 in my pocket, why didn't they move forward with this design, where form actually follows function? Pentax/Ricoh could have owned this aesthetic too, extending it from their WR SLRs to compacts.

I've held the newer Samsungs in hand and agree with you, aesthetically they look nice. And while the K-01's design is very subjective, it actually looks tougher to me than the K30, even if its a lot less ergonomic.
05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's what my tiny brain can't understand, it's not a new segment at all as K-5 already filled that exact one for a year.
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
A lot of excitement due to new product, but what's really new? This new "entry-mid" comes at 799 euros, k-5 with rebate now is 757 euros.

3 cameras sharing the same sensor now, all within 50 euros difference. Looks like the same AF module, 11 points. Maybe at 500 euros would be interesting, at least for me.

For k-01 they got that designer dude, this one looks like designed by Hyundai A little toy-ish but not bad.

And i don't mind to be called troll or whatever, i know this make some fanboys happy !
The K-5 is at the end of it's sold as new life. This new K-30 is like a Canon 60D is to the Canon 7D. I think we can expect a powerful APS-C replacement eventually for the K-5 with all of the bells and whistles (potentially meaning a 4 DSLR lineup not including K-01 ). In the mean time, the K-30 might have a few benefits over the K-5 like improved video and a smaller size and a somewhat lower price that will sway some users to it while both are still being sold new.

05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
This is expensive for an entry-level camera, but that is in line with Pentax deliberately aiming for higher prices. To compensate it has two great features from the top-end camera: weather-sealing and two dials. This leaves me quizzical. It doesn't really offer anything over the K-5, which will be at a similar price point on launch. It is very much a "me too" camera at a time when Pentax needs to make a statement about their SLR line.

P.S. To those forum members who were telling me to wait for the next Pentax camera because it would blow my socks off... please eat your words. And stop dreaming of a future that will always be "next camera" away. You'll be much happier taking pictures today with the camera you have today.
it's a mid level cam robin hardly where your socks get blown off

that will be the photokina apsc and ff models
05-16-2012, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #171
Veteran Member

Interesting positioning of this model. At that price it's hard to pitch a model below it. With those features (WR and twin wheels and grip-able) it's hard to pitch a APS-C model above it.

Last edited by twitch; 05-16-2012 at 03:44 PM.
05-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Add me to the list of people wondering why release this? So far the only feature distinction between K30 and K5 seems to be they dropped the top LCD. It might be pure marketing - the K5 is an "old" model facing diminishing sales regardless of its capabilities while the K30 is "new" and more attractive to buyers.

There might be some hidden improvements, though. We'll probably see more detailed specs and maybe even a review soon.

05-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #173
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
I got a feeling that Ricoh will put an end to this, hence back to the number series that in a long term perspective is a better idea.
But then they should have called this camera the K300D, and not just the K30. And why is there no D at the end?

Imagine what would happen if Nikon released a D2 next year with higher specs than the D4, just like Pentax did with the K-5 and K-7. It would make no sense!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But then they should have called this camera the K300D, and not just the K30. And why is there no D at the end?

Imagine what would happen if Nikon released a D2 next year with higher specs than the D4, just like Pentax did with the K-5 and K-7. It would make no sense!
Regarding the "D", back when people were discussing the K20D successor, there were quite a number of people who were saying that they should drop the D which was supposedly meant to indicate a digital camera. Given new camera's are bound to be digital, the D is somewhat verbose and of no purpose. When the K-7 was announced, quite some number of posts popped up saying they were glad they did in fact drop the D moniker

Re-dding the D on the end would serve no purpose, one K is enough letters in the name
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #175
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Add me to the list of people wondering why release this? So far the only feature distinction between K30 and K5 seems to be they dropped the top LCD. It might be pure marketing - the K5 is an "old" model facing diminishing sales regardless of its capabilities while the K30 is "new" and more attractive to buyers. There might be some hidden improvements, though. We'll probably see more detailed specs and maybe even a review soon.
It's just an intro-level replacement for the K-r, spiced up with something new for a change (the added buttons and weather sealing).

I find it funny that after complaining about the discontinuation of the K-r for so long, so many people are asking this very question. The new K30 will be priced just slightly higher than the K-01, which would make sense, as it's a DSLR after all. Regardless, it's still going to be in the intro-level range, though I fear that the affordability of Pentax cameras is coming to an end.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Unsurprisingly, people are going to complain about the looks. It happened with the leaked and eventually announcement of the K-7/K-5. Amusingly the main point of contention was the pop-up flash. The deviation from "standard" looking K20D had people complaining. But, eventually, people didn't care and bought it for its performance... which will probably be the same case here.
I distinctly do not remember this. If people ever complained about the looks of the K-7/5 body, it certainly wasn't here on PF. People were jumping for joy on the size and magnesium body. I think DPreview called it "perfectly formed" and The Online Photographer just wrote a post about camera looks centered around the K5. at worst people may have missed the curves of the K20/200 generation, but curves are used to mask product size, the angular shape of the K-7/5 wasn't just a look, it was a key part of its miniaturization.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
That said, to nitpick a point, I prefer the pockmarked grip. There's nothing toyish or silly about it. There's enough things out there where pockmarked/latticed designs are used to allow for better breathing and ventilation - common instances are on bags. This will not only allow for a better grip but for breathing between your hands, which in outdoor and humid areas which means less sticky and sweaty hands. Small convenience that no-one would notice till they move to a "normal" grip.
This chore used to be handled fine by the more random faux-leather "grain" in the rubber grips of the K-5 and GRD/GRX, don't think anybody noticed because it was never an issue. A small inconvenience people will surely notice is picking out mud and skin from all those grooves and holes.
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
This 80's walkman, faux-rugged look is annoying to me because it's a clearly a *look* more than it is a utilitarian design. All those grooves on the side and holes in the grip are just going to get clogged with dirt and grime if you really try to take it "outside". Unless you take the thing jogging and argue that they could help with sweaty hands, but I've never heard that complaint about Pentax cameras before.

You know what's really tough? a K-5. and a GRD. These cameras are universally applauded for their design and toughness, in such a similar way that it made these two companies coming together seem like an arranged marriage. A GRD feels like a K-5 in my pocket, why didn't they move forward with this design, where form actually follows function? Pentax/Ricoh could have owned this aesthetic too, extending it from their WR SLRs to compacts.
Mmm. It is a shame they didn't keep the geometric style lines and angles and all that. But then this still looks better than other SLRs available methinks. And other than dirt getting in the ribs if you rub your SLR in the ground, it's not like it's really destroying the user experience is it? It gives it a little more personality. And it's not over-doing the sporty rugged look. I'll reserve judgements until I've seen the top plate and the back, but it's nice to see someone making a camera with a look to it.
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just posted a link on Reddit: Weather-sealed entry-level Pentax K-30 about to be launched : photography

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 05-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO this looks just like any other DSLR. Clean but with a unique touch here and there.
To me I feel Pentax just 'cut off' whatever they think is redunt from the camera body and make it as compact as possible w/o complement on the features
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
is that a , right of the shutter button? that would be a first, right? (i'm not so familiar with the entry level pentaxes)
QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Yes it is and K-r actually has one too.
Focus assist lamp?
I thought it is the IR receiver window for remote.