Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Interesting positioning of this model. At that price it's hard to pitch a model below it. With those features (WR and twin wheels and grip-able) it's hard to pitch a APS-C model above it.
It shouldn't be a problem. I believe Canon has two models between their low-end Rebel and the 7D.

The K300 is the model below and will be non-WR, one control wheel, smaller buffer fewer buttons.

The K3 is the model above and it could have better AF system, bigger buffer, hybrid viewfinder, dual memory slots and even more goodies like better sensor.

I can also see a two tier full frame camera system with a low-end model based on the K30 and the high end model based on the K3.

This will give Pentax 5 dslr cameras, which is still less than Canon and Nikon.

Rumor has it that Pentax will have 4 new dslr cameras by early next year. The K30 is just the first one. It seems like it will take about 3 to 4 months between the releases for Pentax to prepare for the next release. The K30 in late June might mean K3 for Photokina in Sept and a K300 in Dec for holiday sales. Full frame in March to be announced at the large Japan camera show (where the 645D was announced a few years ago.)

Now where are the new lenses.

Dave

05-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dual card slots in the next high end cameras would be really nice touch!
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #228
Veteran Member

After seeing the closeup pic that french_mike posted... Wow! This looks like a killer design! I have no complaints.

About that forward-sloping prism: I have a 3M-5CA 500mm mirror lens that barely clears the hump on my previous Pentax DSLRs. If this new design assures those big fat lenses clear the hump, then I think it's a great, practical design decision. (Docking points because the logo print is sloped downward? Really?!?!?!)

It looks like some serious thought has gone into the design of this new DSLR. I have nothing but high hopes & praise for the folks at Ricoh/Pentax for thinking outside the box and offering useful refinements of a proven form rather than redesigning to satisfy the fashionistas/hipsters.

This looks like a real camera for real photographers. Finally, I'm excited about the direction Pentax is heading!

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
05-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #229
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
On amazon UK :
- k-30 : £700
- k-01 : £680

So what's the point of the k-01 now ?
Could it be really considered as entry-level at this price ?

Also, I think that megapixels really matters for a lot of people (not only newcomers), when I bought a k-r a few months ago, the 3 first questions I was asked by colleagues (two 600D users) :
- price
- megapixels
- lens

So what most people will see in the next following months :
Pentax 16 Mpx vs cheaper Nikon D3200 24 Mpx
Easy choice in my opinion... :/
well yeah the pentax (of course!!) - weather sealing, hopeful magnesium body, two dials, access to the limiteds

id choose that over a hunk of tacky nikon plastic toy any day.

edit: on second thoughts, that is almost definitely not a magnesium body.

05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #230
Inactive Account

the only problem i have with this camera is the name tag is slanting down. other than that i think it looks good. like a retro camera (name tag and ish prism shape at bottom(faint but there are hints of pentad's heritage)) smashed into a transformers film with the k-5 as inspiration
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So, articulating screen and WR, there is no connection is there?.
Olympus OM-D has tilt screen and WR. No reason Pentax can't do the same. It better. . .
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sure that the robust looking limiteds would look great on the camera!

05-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #233
Inactive Account

it looks pretty good in these photos to me (except the lens)
05-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #234
Inactive Account

I don't get it (and I won't get it)

I bought my beautiful Kx brand new with lens for $430 two years ago. That's why I'm into Pentax. But I would never have considered Pentax if it took $900-$1000 to get into the brand. Why not just pay a tiny bit more and get a K5? I really don't get the Pentax logic. It looks and sounds like a great camera, but that is definitely not an entry level price. Too bad. I was ready to sell my Kx and get one, but if I had that kind of money I would def. get the K5. Just my 2 cents.
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
I bought my beautiful Kx brand new with lens for $430 two years ago. That's why I'm into Pentax. But I would never have considered Pentax if it took $900-$1000 to get into the brand. Why not just pay a tiny bit more and get a K5? I really don't get the Pentax logic. It looks and sounds like a great camera, but that is definitely not an entry level price. Too bad. I was ready to sell my Kx and get one, but if I had that kind of money I would def. get the K5. Just my 2 cents.
Because the k-5 is two years old and will be removed from production.

The k-x was introduced at $650 MSRP. This one is looking like $700-800. What exactly is your issue?
05-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the specs mentioned, it just about *is* a K-5. With good marketing they're gonna sell gazillions.
The new K-5 replacement will have to be pretty spectacular to put an appropriate gap between the models; I'm keen.
05-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
The low-end Pentax in this price range will be released late this year. It seems like Pentax will the a three tier APS-C lineup with the K30 being the middle one.

Dave
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #238
Veteran Member

looks very energetic!!
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #239

While you bought your camera for $430, I know that was not the Recommended Retail Price of the Kx when it was launched. So you can expect to see a lower street price for the K30, but for what it is and compared to the competition in the market, I think it is good value.
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #240
Inactive Account

quick photoshop botch job...
looks better already if i do say so myself...