Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #301
Pentaxian

I stated earlier that this could replace my K200D, but there's something that I hadn't thought about which would be a deal-breaker.

Does it have an optional battery grip?

05-16-2012, 10:58 PM - 2 Likes   #302
Veteran Member

Thank God Sony can make sensors.
Thank God Sony can't make cameras.
05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SETI Quote
SLT system can't match mirrors. I have Sony A77 now and will sell it next week. No high ISO, no good pictures when it's cloudy. That piece of plastic between glass and sensor is real shit
Can't say anything about Sony SLRs performance since I've never tested one but... well, that was Sony's answer.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Rather weak answer IMO
I agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hopefully, Nikon's use of a 24mp sensor on the D3200 and a 16mp sensor on the D4 will convey to newcomers that sensor mp are only one aspect of performance.
Most newbies buying from stores usually listen to salesmen though... I hope Ricoh makes a move for that too. A lot of the salespersons I've encountered aren't really knowledgeable about the cameras they sell, but if one is on the stand of "I don't wanna do research... I'll let the reps do that and just talk it to me" - then salespersons start to sound convincing to them.

Before I bought my K-x every salesperson I talked to bombarded me with Canon's higher MP count and Nikon's oh-so-great AF... all of them most of the time focusing on those two, respectively.
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #304

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Thank God Sony can make sensors.
Thank God Sony can't make cameras.
They can, but not as good as Pentax. If I can have K-5 with Sony A77 AF system!

05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #305

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Can't say anything about Sony SLRs performance since I've never tested one but... well, that was Sony's answer.

I agree.

Most newbies buying from stores usually listen to salesmen though... I hope Ricoh makes a move for that too. A lot of the salespersons I've encountered aren't really knowledgeable about the cameras they sell, but if one is on the stand of "I don't wanna do research... I'll let the reps do that and just talk it to me" - then salespersons start to sound convincing to them.

Before I bought my K-x every salesperson I talked to bombarded me with Canon's higher MP count and Nikon's oh-so-great AF... all of them most of the time focusing on those two, respectively.
It's all about rebates =) In Russia salesmen get money if they sell Sony or Canon... that's why they wanna sell them
05-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #306
Veteran Member

Psst! It's a water cooled radiator underneath the vent

Don't tell anybody just quite yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I like the heatsink on the side.
Could this mean the end of limited LV/recording?
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
One of our club members just received his D4 within the last week and was remarking how great the resolution was on a picture he uploaded. He came from a D300 with 12mp. So i replied that yes indeed, the 16 mp of my current K5 provides wonderful resolution and that he could check the nicely increased resolution of lenses on photozone.de that results from using 16mp.
And if you look at the same lens test on APS-C and FF cameras (FF beeing lower megapixel) you would see that actual resolution is higher on FF despite fewer megapixels...

05-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #308
Veteran Member

I said it before - I like it.

Some seem to think that this means that a K-5 replacement will follow soon, because this model's sales will eat into current K-5 sales. Possible? Yes. Likely? No. I believe that one of the R/P execs said something in an interview about production for the K-5 continuing until the end of the year. I couId be wrong about that though. In any event, it seems to be a custom to allow several months after a product is discontinued before releasing a follow-up. I know that the specs between the K-01, K-30, and K-5 are very similar. However, they are very different cameras. K-5's are metal and have a pentaprism. The other two are colorful. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-5 stuck around through the fall. Obviously they aren't going to be running out of most components anytime soon. I am sure that was conscious strategy to leverage technology, engineering, vendor relations, etc. for a series of products to coexist and buy time for more product development.
05-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I stated earlier that this could replace my K200D, but there's something that I hadn't thought about which would be a deal-breaker.

Does it have an optional battery grip?
Only a real insider would know for sure. I am not one.

Too entry/intro level / 2nd body / Back-up type of camera. Also, if the past is an indicator, grips usually come in black. Since this camera will be offered in colors, it seems unlikely that R/P is planning a grip accessory unless they feel that they only want to manufacture it in black. I doubt that they would try to produce an accessory like that in colors. But anything is possible. Might happen I suppose.
05-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great News!!!

K-5 was way too priced for me. Now this one is in reach.
Ricoh-Pentax is delivering after K01, this one is really attractive camera and I hope price gets closer to K-r's launch price.
This camera will make K-r retired, and will challenge K-5 strongly. I guess Pentax might have made it limited, feature wise, just to give K-5 an edge.

Is it already available in UK?

Atindra
05-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #311
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Only a real insider would know for sure. I am not one.

Too entry/intro level / 2nd body / Back-up type of camera. Also, if the past is an indicator, grips usually come in black. Since this camera will be offered in colors, it seems unlikely that R/P is planning a grip accessory unless they feel that they only want to manufacture it in black. I doubt that they would try to produce an accessory like that in colors. But anything is possible. Might happen I suppose.
Remember they did the Black DAL55-300 as a kit with the coloured Kx's aswell as regular black zooms with the multicoloured Kx/Krs. More recently the K-01 has a black lens with the only execption being the white twin lens kit.
So in a word, yes, I think if they do one it will be black. Unlikely to be the same as the K7/K5 grip which is a shame if they are your other camera.
05-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #312
Veteran Member

The name is K30!

can we, please, stick to it? it is NOT K-30
not mentoring, just hate dirty data)
David

Last edited by davidsladek; 05-16-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
05-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #313
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
can we, please, stick to it? it is NOT K-30
not mentoring, just hate dirty data)
David
Totally don't understand what you just said...
05-16-2012, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
K-5 was way too priced for me. Now this one is in reach. Ricoh-Pentax is delivering after K01, this one is really attractive camera and I hope price gets closer to K-r's launch price. This camera will make K-r retired, and will challenge K-5 strongly. I guess Pentax might have made it limited, feature wise, just to give K-5 an edge. Is it already available in UK? Atindra
June 25, they say. I think Pentax will have to announce this product official before June.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
it seems unlikely that R/P is planning a grip accessory unless they feel that they only want to manufacture it in black. I doubt that they would try to produce an accessory like that in colors. But anything is possible. Might happen I suppose.
Who knows, the next Pentax accessory might be the "Pentax Color-It-Yourself (CIY) Camera Spray", an electronics-friendly spray that comes with a body and grip stencil to help you color your Pentax body in any way you want! Exclusive to Pentax K-30/K40 only. Spray might contain chemicals that are harmful to eyes. Keep out of reach of children. Do not expose to fire. If accidentally swallowed consult your doctor immediately.
05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #315

June 25 is correct
Amazon.co.uk is ready for all 3 colors!