Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
D7000 likely is up for replacement like the K5. Both models are impacted by the features on the K30

WR and (assumed) dual wheel seem pretty impressive at the price. It'll be interesting to see what the NA release price is
the D7000 is half year newer then the K5....

05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
We arent talking about hunderds of $ but $20 for the fabrication can mean $60 cheaper camera for consumers if not more.
those little bits add up if you also remove the WR and such
exactly. if the kr is going to hit 899 kit then a kx level model with updated sensor can surely hit 699 kit 549-599 body. drop wr drop 2 wheel, no selectable af..... in other words take out some of the feature content that appeals to a more sophisticated user and build something that can still compete well at the entry level (in other words just slap a pentamirror on a K-01 in a kx body - certainly that can compete with the Canon and the Nikon (despite no tbeing 24mp)
05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #408

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Warpig Quote
Did anyone else notice that the pictures of the cameras aren't the same? look for the K30 logo, the one in the catalogue has the "K" hollowed, and the one in amazon is full. Also the "30" font isn't the same. What could that mean?
French vs UK markets? I know in France Pentax was decently well represented in Brick and Mortar stores like FNAC in the past. Maybe they Alter it for some markets, ala Canon?
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #409
D0n
Banned

the cheapest way to get a kr replacement to market, is to take the electronics from the k-01, sensor and image engine, and throw that into the existing kr body and then change the ribber grips on the body to something that resembles the rubber on the k-01 or the k30...
all other things being equal, this requires minimal development, eases retooling and gets the new entry model out the door fast and affordable..

05-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #410
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
the cheapest way to get a kr replacement to market, is to take the electronics from the k-01, sensor and image engine, and throw that into the existing kr body and then change the ribber grips on the body to something that resembles the rubber on the k-01 or the k30...
all other things being equal, this requires minimal development, eases retooling and gets the new entry model out the door fast and affordable..
Sounds exactly like what they did!

Which I don't mind. Everyone who is saying "but it's the same price as the k-5 now" is just nitpicking. It's a new product. It's got a cool new look. It comes in multiple colors. It's priced where the D5100/T3i was (or possibly a bit lower). It's got WR, it's got k-5's sensor, it's got HD video. It hopefully doesn't have the k-5's lens release button issue. It hopefully will never have a stained sensor issue. It hopefully has improved AF.

It's a great idea.
05-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #411
Veteran Member

It looks like they did almost exactly what you described with the K30. I still think that this the new entry level dSLR. After all, R/P discontinued the entry level K-r. Why would they introduce a new camera that doesn't address replacing it? I agree with others in that R/P is counting on anything more entry level as being the K-01.
05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #412
D0n
Banned

well guys what I'm saying is if the k30 has a metal body 2 scroll wheels and WR, then a lighter all plastic one scroll wheel camera would be the kr replacement.... lighter and cheaper.... so it does in fact make sense to have several different priced camera versions off the same sensor/image engine, with only different body types, firmware variances to separate them... so the k30 would likely be the k-5 replacement...

05-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #413
Veteran Member

well guys what I'm saying is if the k30 has a metal body 2 scroll wheels and WR, then a lighter all plastic one scroll wheel camera would be the kr replacement.... lighter and cheaper.... so it does in fact make sense to have several different priced camera versions off the same sensor/image engine, with only different body types, firmware variances to separate them... so the k30 would likely be the k-5 replacement...
It can't be a k-5 replacement and use the k-5 sensor. That would be silly. At best, it would be the camera between the k-r and the k-5, similar to what the D5100 was between the D7000 and the D3100.

Pentax stated (or was quoted in another thread) that they would release a super cheap internet connected DSLR. Maybe that will be the true k-r replacement, coming in at ~$500. All the entry level bodies (D3200, for example) right now are ~$700 with the 18-55. If the K30 is ~$800, it's still, as far as I am concerned, the equivalent entry level camera for Pentax.
05-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
exactly. if the kr is going to hit 899 kit then a kx level model with updated sensor can surely hit 699 kit 549-599 body. drop wr drop 2 wheel, no selectable af..... in other words take out some of the feature content that appeals to a more sophisticated user and build something that can still compete well at the entry level (in other words just slap a pentamirror on a K-01 in a kx body - certainly that can compete with the Canon and the Nikon (despite no tbeing 24mp)
Indeed, i doubt that most of these users know the differnce between penta mirror and a penta prism.
They can use the hardware off the K-01 maybe to press the cost?
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #415
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It can't be a k-5 replacement and use the k-5 sensor. That would be silly. At best, it would be the camera between the k-r and the k-5, similar to what the D5100 was between the D7000 and the D3100.

Pentax stated (or was quoted in another thread) that they would release a super cheap internet connected DSLR. Maybe that will be the true k-r replacement, coming in at ~$500. All the entry level bodies (D3200, for example) right now are ~$700 with the 18-55. If the K30 is ~$800, it's still, as far as I am concerned, the equivalent entry level camera for Pentax.
sure it can be. it has everything the k-5 had plus improved video capabilities, probably improves af, possibly an articulated lcd, new looks etc... a definite improvement.

now if a new model with a new sensor like a 24 mp camera is release as Pentax's top model, that might just be percieved as a new class of camera for Pentax, ABOVE the k-5.... not a replacement for the k-5. that would leave the k30 filling the k-5's shoes in the lineup.
but I'm assuming the k-30 is metal, has better video, faster af, and focus peaking, articulated lcd.. which could very well be wrong..
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #416
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k30 is likely polycarbonate not metal (more like the K10/20 - or even just kr with seals - than the K7/5 from a wr build idea)
K30 feature wise is pretty close to a k5 replacement from the look of it though (I think we can safely assume it is the 12 bit processing version of the processor versus the k5 14 bit - so more like the k-01) K5 will still offer some value for the price bump for the next few months until the replacement is ready
Certainly there is lots to be able to pull back on this model to make a proper entry model while stuill being a better design/build/feature set than the canikons
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #417
wll
Veteran Member

Just Dyn-O-mite !

This is best looking camera I have seen in a long time. Hats off to Pentax for a great look. IMHO this camera makes the K-01 look like horrible. I love the lines.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic performer too, as the competition is tough and this camera better bring it's "A" game to the table or it will get killed. Pentax knows this, I bet this thing will be a winner.

wll
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #418
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Indeed, i doubt that most of these users know the differnce between penta mirror and a penta prism.
They can use the hardware off the K-01 maybe to press the cost?
sometime back, pentax had patented an optical evf hybrid with a penta mirror... if memory serves me correct this design, SHOULD have been able to work both with a slr type flip up mirror and as a stand alone evf without the mirror, from the way the patent sketches looked... this is why I think i is possible pentax could use the same device in BOTH mirrored and mirrorless cameras... a definate cost saver if used across multiple cameras on the assembly lines...

it looked like an lcd or oled screen was projected onto or built into the penta mirror...

so in a d-slr the viewer would overlay digital info on top of the optical view virtual reality style,and allow live view to be seen through the viewfinder while the mirror was locked up... and in a mirrorless camera, only the evf live view would be visible through the viewfinder...

Last edited by D0n; 05-17-2012 at 11:04 AM.
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #419
Veteran Member

well guys what I'm saying is if the k30 has a metal body... so the k30 would likely be the k-5 replacement...
I think that this K30 body is the same as the K-r body - metal chassis / plasic shell. It will come in colors. The only colored shell that I have seen that was metal was that special edition 645d that graces these pages.

I think that there is one more dSLR lemon for Pentax to squeeze out of APS-C. That is the K-5 replacement. This isn't it IMHO.
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #420
Veteran Member

sure it can be. it has everything the k-5 had plus improved video capabilities, probably improves af, possibly an articulated lcd, new looks etc... a definite improvement.

now if a new model with a new sensor like a 24 mp camera is release as Pentax's top model, that might just be percieved as a new class of camera for Pentax, ABOVE the k-5.... not a replacement for the k-5. that would leave the k30 filling the k-5's shoes in the lineup.
but I'm assuming the k-30 is metal, has better video, faster af, and focus peaking, articulated lcd.. which could very well be wrong..
What I mean is - pricewise, it cannot be the k-5 replacement. The k-5 is a semi-pro (or pro) APS-C camera. It competed with the 7D and the D7000. That is it's specific class. It retailed at $1500 with the WR kit lens. To put in perspective, the D7000 was the same price, and the 7D was about $100 more.

A replacement camera should fit into the same category/price level.

The $899-999 category is the enthusiast level APS-C camera. That is the T3i and the D5100.

The $599-699 category is the entry level APS-C camera. That is the T3 and the D3100.