Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I think that this K30 body is the same as the K-r body - metal chassis / plasic shell. It will come in colors. The only colored shell that I have seen that was metal was that special edition 645d that graces these pages.

I think that there is one more dSLR lemon for Pentax to squeeze out of APS-C. That is the K-5 replacement. This isn't it IMHO.
not a chance this is a k5 replacement. that will 99.9% be the Sony 24mp sensor from the nex 7. with the build of the K5 at minimum maybe with the addition of a tilt screen.
Metal Chassis Plastic shell and Pentamirror are almost certainly the design of this camera(and whatever comes below)

05-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #422
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What I mean is - pricewise, it cannot be the k-5 replacement. The k-5 is a semi-pro (or pro) APS-C camera. It competed with the 7D and the D7000. That is it's specific class. It retailed at $1500 with the WR kit lens. To put in perspective, the D7000 was the same price, and the 7D was about $100 more.

A replacement camera should fit into the same category/price level.

The $899-999 category is the enthusiast level APS-C camera. That is the T3i and the D5100.

The $599-699 category is the entry level APS-C camera. That is the T3 and the D3100.

Ricoh official did mention they want to get a more compete line-up to match Canon. Canon has 4 cropped senson cameras. It looks like the K30 will compete with the T3i and the D5100. So I would expect about the same price.

I would expect the K-5 replacement to compete with the Canon 7D and Nikon D7000 replacements. I left out the Canon 60D replacent. I would guess this camera to be released near Photokina in September of this year.

The low-end model will compete with the T3 abd D3100. I would expect it to be released by Black Friday to compete for the holiday sales.

This gives a release about every 3 months (from the K-01 onward) which seems to be about right for Pentax to do.

I really don't know how Pentax will be able to get the 4th cropped sensor dslr camera, but rumors has it they want to release 4 dslr cameras by March and Canon has 4 cropped sensor cameras. I really hope the 4th camera will be a FF camera and be announced in Febuary at CP+. I really can see two FF cameras a low-end matching the K30 and a high-end matching the k3 in features and sharing components with those two cameras.

Now feature-wise I do expect to see an hydbrid viewfinder in at least the high-end (K-5 replacement). Pentax does have a patent for one. It would be a real neat feature and selling point to be able to do both optical and digital (with focus peaking) in the viewfinder. I also hope to see a better AF system in the K-5 replacement. Looks liek the K30 still has the 11 point AF system.

Interesting times ahead for Pentaxians.

Dave
05-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #423
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's the perfect time for me.. here I was, waiting for september to see if I should get the k-5 or the k-5 replacement.. now I can definitely say, either the K30 or the k-5 replacement...
05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #424
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not a chance this is a k5 replacement. that will 99.9% be the Sony 24mp sensor from the nex 7. with the build of the K5 at minimum maybe with the addition of a tilt screen.
Metal Chassis Plastic shell and Pentamirror are almost certainly the design of this camera(and whatever comes below)
aha! i think some of us are getting hung up on symantics here.. I for one am thinking along the lines that a 24mp sensor in a k-5 styled body would qualify as a step up from the k-5, not a direct replacement for the k5.... you could easily add a 24 mp k-3 and KEEP the k-5 in the same lineup...
or you could add the k3 and replace the k-5 with a k30 and still have a fuller line up than they currently have now.
this is why I view the k-30 as a possible replacement for the k-5... the kr was not WR... to me.. so I'll not call any body wrong here, but I do understand why the differences of opinion are occuring!

05-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
aha! i think some of us are getting hung up on symantics here.. I for one am thinking along the lines that a 24mp sensor in a k-5 styled body would qualify as a step up from the k-5, not a direct replacement for the k5.... you could easily add a 24 mp k-3 and KEEP the k-5 in the same lineup...
or you could add the k3 and replace the k-5 with a k30 and still have a fuller line up than they currently have now.
this is why I view the k-30 as a possible replacement for the k-5... the kr was not WR... to me.. so I'll not call any body wrong here, but I do understand why the differences of opinion are occuring!
i can see the POV, i view this more as the long awaited K200D replacement. for me the K5 is not just the features that moved into this but also the brick like build
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #426
D0n
Banned

i can see the POV, i view this more as the long awaited K200D replacement. for me the K5 is not just the features that moved into this but also the brick like build
see the blue model? if those fins are cooling fins, then almost all the blue you see except for the flash would be machined from one block of metal, possibly aluminum.. think apples macbook pro unibody construction.... that would mean you could hammer nails with it.... definately as tough or tougher than the k5 in terms of build quality... but that is a big IF...
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #427
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Now feature-wise I do expect to see an hydbrid viewfinder in at least the high-end (K-5 replacement). Pentax does have a patent for one. It would be a real neat feature and selling point to be able to do both optical and digital (with focus peaking) in the viewfinder. I also hope to see a better AF system in the K-5 replacement. Looks liek the K30 still has the 11 point AF system.
At this point, especially considering its unique (non) position with mirrorless, and its *very* distant 3rd place with SLRs, a hybrid VF would practically be a requirement for Pentax to be considered "up with the times". I admire the tradition and beauty of the OVF, but it's 2012, and I think it's fair to expect a real-time histogram in the main VF.

Think about that for a second, every other major camera manufacturer has abandoned the SLR fight against Canon and Nikon. Only Pentax remains. I think affordable WR is one front they can take, but it certainly won't win any wars by itself.

05-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #428
Veteran Member

Some folks are assuming that the K30 and K5 are pretty equal, but that the K30 will benefit from the K01 development and firmware.

I like the look of the K30 a lot, but don't be surprised if there are little things missing off it. For example, the shutter might not be of the same quality as the K5, particularly its quietness, there may not be a shutter cable port (IR port instead which i hate with a passion), more limited hdr bracketing (3 instead of 5)(ok by me), and there may be no micro lens focus adjustment feature in the firmware ( i would refuse to buy if it lacked that adjustment - almost a necessity with current lens manufacturing these days)

So lets not get all riled up when we see the complete specs - there will be things missing. i just hope Ricoh/pentax didn't cripple it too much.

Just be glad they didn't leave off the hotshoe
05-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
see the blue model? if those fins are cooling fins, then almost all the blue you see except for the flash would be machined from one block of metal, possibly aluminum.. think apples macbook pro unibody construction.... that would mean you could hammer nails with it.... definately as tough or tougher than the k5 in terms of build quality... but that is a big IF...
i saw the blue model, looks like a polycarbonate body to me. the ridges just look like a frivolous bit of styling. I could be wrong (I frequently am) It could be possible that they will echo the design aspect in the full mag alloy body coming later and they may be functional then

edit look at this larger image of the black one'

05-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
First time hearing about the 100% VF, i wonder why they would put one in a budget model, a 98% is just so much cheaper to make.
It makes total sense to me, I guess it's a pentaprism as well! Why? Because the whole point of SLR is a good viewfinder.
05-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
At this point, especially considering its unique (non) position with mirrorless, and its *very* distant 3rd place with SLRs, a hybrid VF would practically be a requirement for Pentax to be considered "up with the times". I admire the tradition and beauty of the OVF, but it's 2012, and I think it's fair to expect a real-time histogram in the main VF.

Think about that for a second, every other major camera manufacturer has abandoned the SLR fight against Canon and Nikon. Only Pentax remains. I think affordable WR is one front they can take, but it certainly won't win any wars by itself.
That is amazing. I'd like to see Pentax stay at the high quality level and not worry too much about the entry level. Let the K01 model line be the entry level as Adam suggested. And Pentax, please don't unnecessarily cripple the lower models, if its a cost issue, then do it, but if its random crippling of the firmware, that just pisses off the base, IMO.

One can see Canikon's reluctance to mfr mirrorless cameras by limiting the current ones to small sensors or lack of lens interchangeability. I chalk it up to not wanting to put a mirrorless model out there that would compete with their entry level SLRs. Eventually they'll be forced to, or maybe forfeit the niche to others.
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #432
D0n
Banned

i saw the blue model, looks like a polycarbonate body to me. the ridges just look like a frivolous bit of styling. I could be wrong (I frequently am) It could be possible that they will echo the design aspect in the full mag alloy body coming later and they may be functional then

edit look at this larger image of the black one'
would not be the first time I've been overly optimistic...
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #433

i dont think that top is high anough for a pentaprism ...
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
i dont think that top is high anough for a pentaprism ...
almost certainly given the price point it is pentamirror (as was the K200D the last mid level WR camera)
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #435
Inactive Account

Coming from a K10 it would be hard to go without a top LCD but as one poster pointed out there may be room for a small one to the right of the mode dial. If this has better AF than the K-5 it still might be my next camera even without top LCD but only if WR is confirmed.