Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
... the ridges just look like a frivolous bit of styling...
I'm thinking its part of a heatsink.

05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
only if it is metal. and i really doubt this level is metal
05-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #453
Veteran Member

It looks good to me. The pentaprism housing is similar to that of a Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 800si body. I hope the built-in flash will be a nice as that camera had.
05-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #454
Veteran Member

only if it is metal. and i really doubt this level is metal
Good point!
Then I'm going to guess its a thumb grip. As shown in gazonks avatar:

05-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #455
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Like I wrote previously, it is not like they won't be getting the components to continue to produce K-5's for a while. Seeing how closely related the new releases (K-01 & K30) are to the K-5, that is. They are essentially piggy-backing the two new releases off the K-5 and vice-versa. Good strategy for buying more time for future product development.
So they go with one "classic" DSLR and one "sporty" to give people choice at the same price?
If I designed a heat sink I would have put it at the "coldest place" externally and away from the hands. Why use the warm blooded user as a cooling part?
05-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
And these TVs are, at best, 1920x1080, i.e. 2MP.
You are correct and I admit that I know very little about sensors in general. However, I would assume that the 24mp sensor could produce higher quality and cleaner pixels than a 2mp sensor. That could help with things like a lack of dynamic range, poor color depth, image noise. noise reduction artifacts, etc. All of which could become very apparent on a large display.
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #457
Veteran Member

You are correct and I admit that I know very little about sensors in general. However, I would assume that the 24mp sensor could produce higher quality and cleaner pixels than a 2mp sensor. That could help with things like a lack of dynamic range, poor color depth, image noise. noise reduction artifacts, etc. All of which could become very apparent on a large display.
Actually each time you make the pixels smaller you let in even less light and have to compensate in some way. That's why you want bigger sensors even without getting more resolution.

05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
So they go with one "classic" DSLR and one "sporty" to give people choice at the same price?
That's one way to look at it. Pentax has to choose its battles wisely. I have to admit that they seem to be doing it with some balls. Good or bad, the Q, K-01, K30, K-5, and 645D all have some unique qualities.
05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Actually each time you make the pixels smaller you let in even less light and have to compensate in some way. That's why you want bigger sensors even without getting more resolution.
Good to know. I doubt that you will find a camera salesperson that will say that though.
05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #460
Veteran Member

That's one way to look at it. Pentax has to choose its battles wisely. I have to admit that they seem to be doing it with some balls. Good or bad, the Q, K-01, K30, K-5, and 645D all have some unique qualities.
Well, that's one of their advantages, they don't need to follow one single road. Nikon and Canon, heck even Sony, will have a tough time being "weird" or the fans would probably go angry. Even compare the Nikon V1/J1 with the Q and you'll see that Pentax went more extreme than Nikon who built a small "Leica" design-wise.
05-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's a mid level cam robin hardly where your socks get blown off

that will be the photokina apsc and ff models
My main point was that waiting for the next great camera to solve all one's problems is a pastime for corporate cheerleaders and gadget hounds. Not an activity for photographers.

Secondary to this, you'd think a new camera would have something new to offer. So far I'm not seeing it.
05-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #462
Veteran Member

I am sure these are not heat sink . They are doors molded in thermoplastic rubber. They are spit door, you have 2. About also same lenght that on K-5. The form is rounded as you can increase stifness without adding weight and help open them. Also the hump in the middle fit better in the bottom of your hand.
Just over these door , you see the plug for the external microphone like on the K-5. The autofocus light, on the top right side is also at the same place than the k-5
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
So I ask again, how in the world does Canon sell enough G or S series cameras to make it worthwhile when they've gone backwards on megapixels over the past few years?

New users will never buy those, it's $200 more than cameras with more megapixels and 10x zoom.

OH NO
maybe because word finally got out that too many megapixels on COMPACT cameras was a bad thing. everyone who's ever had a compact camera knows all too well how their night/indoor shots look, and when the mp count on those just got ridiculous the new marketing blurb given to salesmen still in high-school was now "less is more".

but people who buy bigger, non-pocket cams, are willing to carry something thats heavy and doesn't fit in their jeans because they are seeking "moar, moar, moar". whether that's mp or zoom. those numbers are easily understood, because even if the common big box retail consumer knew what ISO was, all these cameras have 128,000 ISO now didn't you hear?
05-17-2012, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #464
Veteran Member

Good point!
Then I'm going to guess its a thumb grip. As shown in gazonks avatar:
If it was truly conceived primarily as a grip, it wouldn't need such deep grooves. It's a sporty-looking adornment made to look fast and rugged, in the spirit of their weatherproof compacts. Ultimately it's going to end up as a dirt/grime collector.
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #465
Pentaxian

Okay, I'm bored with the K30. NEXT RUMOR?