Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The K-01 is not even a DSLR. It has no viewfinder.
Actually, it isn't a dSLR - digital single lens reflex - because it doesn't have a reflex mirror. It is a MILC - mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Put a mirror in the K-01 and it is a dSLR.

05-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Now, if I were designing a K200D replacement, I personally would have given it a larger pentaprism viewfinder and not bothered with the second dial. Not that I'd turn down a second dial if it were offered, but given the choice, I'll pick a better viewfinder without hesitation. One lets you take better better pictures, the just occasionally helps you shoot a little faster.
One adds an additional $1.50 to BOM cost, the other adds $50... Multiply by 3 by the time it gets to retail.
05-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Are you kidding? It was the only fly in the ointment for the K200D. An affordable WR camera that required expensive pro DA* lenses (at the time) to stay WR.

Only with the intro of affordable WR lenses does an affordable WR camera make sense. The K200 concept was too ahead of its time.
Your statement was, "If it does indeed come bundled this way, Pentax would be sending out a very mixed message and will likely be getting a TON of uninformed warranty repairs sent their way."

What I think you are implying is that there would be warranty issues with users using a non-WR lens in an environment that would require WR, just because the body is WR. Pentax has previously bundled non-WR lenses with WR bodies and there doesn't seem to have been a significant number of problems with that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
We arent talking about hunderds of $ but $20 for the fabrication can mean $60 cheaper camera for consumers if not more.
those little bits add up if you also remove the WR and such
I've never worked with a company that did math like that. Typically, it's find a way to "cut corners" but do not pass along the savings to the consumer.

Besides, I think it is becoming apparent that PRIC has little interest in competing on price. They are probably not very interesting in the potential customer who would spend $800 on a body but would balk at $860.

05-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh ? Why would anyone want the camera to be more expensive ? If the K30 is truly the entry-level DSLR from Pentax, then even $750 seems a bit high.

Canon T3i is already $749 with lens. It's 18MP which a lot of newbies will care about. But Canon has other cheaper bodies (T3).
Nikon D7000 is $699 with lens.
Nikon D3200 is $699 with lens. And 24 MP, which again a lot of newbies will care about .
Can you give us a link where the D7000 w/lens is $699? That's 1/2 price of most resellers.
05-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree with that. This is why I keep an old 6MP Nikon as my compact.
I can't stand the noise on compact with anymore than this amount of megapixels. I tried a few Canon some years back. Even at ISO 80 there was way too much noise on indoor shots ! It is hard to believe, but picture quality has actually regressed in compacts over the years as they added MPs.
I've not found this to be the case. Modern compacts, even though noisy when pixel-peeping, when downsampled are cleaner and retain more detail than previous generations, all else being equal. I've found modern compact lenses seem to be regressing, except for the premium models.
05-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This K30 news seems indeed to be a worthy successor to the K200D.
I guess I wasn't patient enough for it, I bought a K-r recently, at a steal of a price at Fry's.

I hope the US pricing will be under $700. I just checked my receipts and my order for a K200D with 18-55 non-WR lens was $677 back in may of 2008.
I think it will likely be in the same ballpark. European and UK prices tend to be way higher than US prices for a variety reasons.
I might actually sell my K-r and buy the K30 body when it comes out.
Eh, you spent $2,100 for 3 monitors but don't want to pay no more than $700 for a body?

Not quite following that logic although I am sure I am the stupid one since I am the one who spent close to 10 grand on a body . . .

05-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #503

good looking camera with great specs, having said that, I will not part with my k-7 for that. i would consider buying a FF if it comes out. need to save for one though.
05-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Your statement was, "If it does indeed come bundled this way, Pentax would be sending out a very mixed message and will likely be getting a TON of uninformed warranty repairs sent their way."

What I think you are implying is that there would be warranty issues with users using a non-WR lens in an environment that would require WR, just because the body is WR. Pentax has previously bundled non-WR lenses with WR bodies and there doesn't seem to have been a significant number of problems with that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
no that's right, that's exactly what I was saying. maybe there weren't significant reported problems, but there's a definite reason the K200 affordable WR concept was so short-lived and hadn't been followed up until just now. Back then it didn't have the affordable WR lenses to support it, and every Pentax SLR introduced at the price level since hadnt been WR. I don't remember if the K20 came bundled with a kit lens (I got mine body only), but it was ostensibly a "pro" body, their flagship camera, priced to be used with their flagship WR lenses. The two WR bodies since then (K7/K5), have had WR kit lenses.

The sporty 'rugged' design of the K30 and it's early WR marketing bullet points ("tropicalized" in French), clearly expand on Pentax's line of weatherproof compacts. This comes dangerously close to suggesting a WR system out-of-the-box vs. requiring an additional purchase to achieve (which is an illegal practice in France apparently; likely why the French ad had a 18-55 WR lens).

Asking K30 buyers to buy another set of WR equivalent lenses to replace the non-WR lenses that came with their WR camera won't win them too many fans, or reviews. Especially if anyone finds out the hard way.

Last edited by illdefined; 05-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
05-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I paid CAN$749 for my K200D with the 18-55 and 50-200mm lenses.

The K200D had just been very well-reviewed in DP Review and I was going travelling and wanted AA batteries after a bad experience with proprietary Lithiums recently.

Pentax needs a lower tier model to compete.
I have to say that the AA support was the primary reason I chose Pentax back then over anything else. Amazingly, it seems to still be a Pentax exclusive feature. Other cameras need battery grips for AA support. The K30 apparently can use either lithium or AA, like the K-r. Silly thing about the K-r was not including the AA adapter, though.
05-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, it isn't a dSLR - digital single lens reflex - because it doesn't have a reflex mirror. It is a MILC - mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Put a mirror in the K-01 and it is a dSLR.
And that contradicted what I said how ?
05-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Can you give us a link where the D7000 w/lens is $699? That's 1/2 price of most resellers.
It was Amazon this afternoon when I posted. Seems like the price is up to $1199 as I check now. I must have messed up my search earlier.
I have seen items vary by $500 during the day on Amazon, but those were $2000 - $3000 items.
05-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #508
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd like this. Since they're going all blue metallic and all, why not one colored a bit like a Japanese Beetle? Maybe not this in your face. My job is pretty crude, needs to be more subtle, but I've always liked this 3 toned effect on cars actually. Why not on a camera? Or dark red metallic. Or dark green metallic, any of those would be nice versions. I really hope they do go there give us lot of color choices after a while. I love colorful metallic paint job bit when it's done right. I can't believe they didn't offer red first actually....

Something like this would sell. This Nikon coloring is nice I think. I think there's a Lumix this color too? I forget, but it's like a dark cherry metallic colored car paint job. I've always liked cameras that came in this color. All the benefits of red but not quite screaming candy apple. I wanted to get this for my Ford Focus actually but it was too expensive in the end. Be nice to have a K30 that looks something like this color though...

http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/red-nikon-d3100-dslr-camera9.jpg

Last edited by magkelly; 05-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
05-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Eh, you spent $2,100 for 3 monitors but don't want to pay no more than $700 for a body?

Not quite following that logic although I am sure I am the stupid one since I am the one who spent close to 10 grand on a body . . .
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I didn't want to spend $700 on a body. I already, did back in 2008, when I bought a K200D, and I would spend it again on the K30.
I am just pointing out that if the K30 sells for $700, it will inevitably be compared with other cameras at that price.

$700 is still a bit high for DSLR newbies, if the K30 is to be the bottom of the line Pentax DSLR .
Seems like $700 is not an entry-level price.

Apparently, the Canon T3 can be had for $329 .
Link before Amazon changes its prices by $500 again : Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging (Body): Camera & Photo
Note, I'm not saying the K30 and T3 are in the same class. Just saying Pentax doesn't have any DSLR body anywhere near that price.
But maybe it's just a closeout price like the $299 K-r I got. Still, an amazing price for a new body.

The Nikon D3000 appears to be the cheapest Nikon DSLR offering at $486 right now : http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref...7323543&sr=1-1 .
05-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
The sporty 'rugged' design of the K30 and it's early WR marketing bullet points ("tropicalized" in French), clearly expand on Pentax's line of weatherproof compacts. This comes dangerously close to suggesting a WR system out-of-the-box vs. requiring an additional purchase to achieve (which is an illegal practice in France apparently; likely why the French ad had a 18-55 WR lens).

Asking K30 buyers to buy another set of WR equivalent lenses to replace the non-WR lenses that came with their WR camera won't win them too many fans, or reviews. Especially if anyone finds out the hard way.
Are you saying Pentax is not allowed to sell a body alone in France, without any lens, and claim it is a WR body ? Because clearly that body without lens wouldn't be "tropicalisé" (this typed on my French AZERTY keyboard ...). If so, maybe Pentax need to provide a WR body cap .

If true, this makes me glad I don't still live in France. Well, that and the fact that a $799 camera body will cost 799 euros in France