Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #526
Pentaxian

Maybe they're not that "dumb". Your finger would rest over them (with a shorter lens), it offers grip and it hides wear. OTOH, they don't look great.

05-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
see the blue model? if those fins are cooling fins, then almost all the blue you see except for the flash would be machined from one block of metal, possibly aluminum.. think apples macbook pro unibody construction.... that would mean you could hammer nails with it.... definately as tough or tougher than the k5 in terms of build quality... but that is a big IF...
Oh, goodness. Here you go for the third time.

It's not a big if... it's unicorns on LSD playing mahjong.
05-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tried a little search engine mining of my own to see what other sites write about this...but guess what... it is really annoying to find the few hits to this real Pentax K30 among all the oooold false K30 rumors that we and other sites has produced since the K-20 was a few months old!
05-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #529
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I am aware I was the first person to mention that they looked like heat sinks and I certainly was not implying that they are heatsinks, merely that I find them ugly. The notion that they might actually be heatsinks is frankly ludicrous and I am surprised anyone is taking it at all seriously.

05-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #530
Veteran Member

Ribbed grip!!

I think Gazonk is using the thumb to turn the lens for focussing in his avatar pic, but the ribbed part on K30 could be very useful while holding camera for vertical orientation (protrait) shots.

Atindra
05-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #531

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
*2 more models are upcoming.
*K-5 will be discontinued after K-30 launched.
*K-5 price will go up (=> in Japan market)
*The next one is the low price one which has been longed and expected. it will be with unperverted (=normal=appropriate=classic<?>) evolution.
*A compact one is upcoming.
Does this mean that we will not see a K-5 replacement this year?
I was hoping for something later this year...
05-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
Does this mean that we will not see a K-5 replacement this year?
I was hoping for something later this year...
I think the last camera of the year (per the quoted individual) will be the K5 replacement: a "nonperverted SLR" for what that's worth. Unfortunately, I am afraid that means that half the folks on the forum won't be interested in one...

05-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Good point!
Then I'm going to guess its a thumb grip. As shown in gazonks avatar:
In gazonk's avatar, it looks like the lens is being manually focused.

The lens is a better place to hold the camera with the left hand for stability anyway. Those ribs are pointless designerbation, but if people like the looks, great.
05-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
You are comparing this with last year's cameras and prices.

The Canon T3i is currently $749 new with 18-55 lens on Amazon. Not $899-$999.
By the time the K30 is out, Canon may have another camera out too, or at least announced. There are 650D rumors.

The Nikon D5100 is $699 new on Amazon with 18-55 lens. Again, not $899 =$999.

The new Nikon D3200 is $699 . See D3200 Nikon Digital Camera | Digital SLR Camera from Nikon . And is 24MP. That's with 18-55 lens.
Some people have already received it. There are verified reviews on Amazon.

IMO, based on price, these are the cameras that the K30 will be competing with.
T3i and D5100 are old models, new variants will go back up in price (witness D5100 and D3200 at the same price)
D3200 despite the sensor is still a stripped entry model crippled in many ways (as is the Nikon way)

The K30 will almost assuredly be $750-799 body only and $899 kit
05-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #535
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Oh, goodness. Here you go for the third time.

It's not a big if... it's unicorns on LSD playing mahjong.
so you're you're saying not too likely?
fair enough.
btw.. what is the build like on the k-01?
it too looks all plastic-y....
maybe there's more to k-01 about Where Pentax is heading than people realize.
if the k30 isn't all metal painted to look like plastic, there is still sound reasoning to do it, and at least one model already going that direction, therefore logical to expect a d-slr to follow...

your argument is invalid, no matter how stoned they get, unicorns have hooves and cannot pick up mahjong tiles.
05-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #536
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the last camera of the year (per the quoted individual) will be the K5 replacement: a "nonperverted SLR" for what that's worth. Unfortunately, I am afraid that means that half the folks on the forum won't be interested in one...
Why would anyone want a camera that wasn't Hentai?
05-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Eddie, you missed the earlier posts, speculating that it is machined out of a solid block of aluminum. (Seriously - they're here someplace.) Probably the hexo-lithium alloy with the rapid thermo-transport crystalline alignment. That's why it's the K (for Kelvin) 30 - it tends toward a stable state of 30 Kelvin.

And comes with mittens .....
LMFAO
05-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #538
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LMFAO
I too found that hilarious!
but I was serious.. sooner or later it will happen. SOMEBODY is gonna realize that plastic cameras are not the best way to go... aluminum is after all easier to recycle and Apple technology for unibody laptops is the best way to make pro spec'd camera bodies.
Apple got green peace off their backs using this to reduce the amount of plastic going to waste... too many GOOD reasons to do it.
05-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I think Gazonk is using the thumb to turn the lens for focussing in his avatar pic
I am, but if I don't zoom or MF, my thumb rests in exactly that place, I think it looks brilliant.
05-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I too found that hilarious!
but I was serious.. sooner or later it will happen. SOMEBODY is gonna realize that plastic cameras are not the best way to go... aluminum is after all easier to recycle and Apple technology for unibody laptops is the best way to make pro spec'd camera bodies.
Apple got green peace off their backs using this to reduce the amount of plastic going to waste... too many GOOD reasons to do it.
The idea has merit, I just don't see it in a sub 1000 body (at least not initially) I could see it in a high end apsc of ff though as another uniqueness point (not sure how much it would affect cost though, polycarbonate is pretty cheap to mold)