Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #541
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The idea has merit, I just don't see it in a sub 1000 body (at least not initially) I could see it in a high end apsc of ff though as another uniqueness point (not sure how much it would affect cost though, polycarbonate is pretty cheap to mold)
they're making beer bottles out of aluminum because washing glass takes up more energy and creates more waste...
Apple priced my most recent macbook pro in the same price point as my original macbook... so the manufacturing cost MUST be close enough to plastic or they'd have jacked up the price and kept it jacked up.

05-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
they're making beer bottles out of aluminum because washing glass takes up more energy and creates more waste...
Apple priced my most recent macbook pro in the same price point as my original macbook... so the manufacturing cost MUST be close enough to plastic or they'd have jacked up the price and kept it jacked up.
the aluminum bottles are just different shaped cans so cheap to make. the macbook can be the same price because the rest of the costs have dropped (screen, processors memory) - but apple is never a good price comparator for costs. they pay little attention to the rest of the market when it comes to retail price and instead keep firm control of price and market the h*ll out of it. - actually they are the grandaddys of UPP so ............
05-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #543
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
btw.. what is the build like on the k-01?
it too looks all plastic-y....
The K-01's build quality is more than fine, it's unexpectedly good.
05-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #544
Veteran Member

So the question for me, do I sell my KX or my K200d for this?

05-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #545

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
So the question for me, do I sell my KX or my K200d for this?
same thing for me ...

all the Km/x/r was a dowgrade compare to my K200 i allways think, then the K7 was not that good ... but the K5 Yes , i was waiting for the price to come down, and then all the problem start (spot on the sensor ...), i now think those problems are behind us and ready to upgrade my slr ...
i know the "k3" is arriving but will be over 1300€

So i guess i will wait to see a head to head K5/K30, but i am allready sure that the K5 will win ! unless they did improve the AF a lot ! (besause we are a century behind CaNikon)
05-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #546
Veteran Member

I really can't wait to see more specs for this camera. It sure is tempting me, as a K-r owner. I can't really tell how much bigger or more it might weigh. That will matter a lot to me as I really don't want something much heavier than the K-r.

Very interested in the AF system as well as finding out what other features it might include like focus peaking. Focus peaking would be a pretty good reason to upgrade, IMO.

I'm always amused by the talk of camera appearance. I think it looks nice, but I really don't care. The main thing for me is 'how does it perform?' Is it good value for money? That said, I really love the blue!
05-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #547
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
this why I hope the new model is all metal...no polycarbonate shell over metal...

05-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #548
Pentaxian

I had the polycarbonate over metal K10D, and I still have the K20D. As long as it's made right, there is nothing wrong with it.
05-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #549
Veteran Member

I had the polycarbonate over metal K10D, and I still have the K20D. As long as it's made right, there is nothing wrong with it.
I had the K10, it always felt pretty solid.....until I picked up my K7
05-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #550

I want them to make a dark red one...
05-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #551

next year, when it will be marke as "Camera of the Year" : http://www.luxurylaunches.com/gadgets/pentaxs_camera_of_the_year_645d_dslr_g...d_makeover.php
05-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #552
Veteran Member

The moment I tried holding one, it felt better and tougher than I expected. (WIth exception to the rubber flap covering the SD card slot)

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
I want them to make a dark red one...
Knowing Pentax, they probably will.

Now, I wonder if there are more rumors of it around... so far the Canikon forums in my place don't seem to know (or care) about the K-30 right now.
05-18-2012, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #553
D0n
Banned

there is nothing wrong with it.
I have quite a collection of pentax suff over the years....
the metal bodies of the film era and the newer plastics...
I just think in the digital era, with the heat generated by modern sensors and processors, that the return to all metal body's is eminent even on lower spec cameras.
there is nothing wrong with that either...
but why make a frame out metal, then add a poly body, then paint it, when you can simply make it out of metal, and paint it?
one less step in manufacture, one less layer of plastic for the environment, and a better end product?
they can injection mold aluminum into any shape they can do plastic with these days, and cnc machining an injection molded metal part can now make parts that are far more superior to anything plastic.. and easier to recycle later to boot.. and the cost is not prohibitive....
It just makes sense to go that route, the k-7 and k-5 and k-01 are all indicators of where the designers are headed...
the slow cog in this machine is the consumer... we equate plastic to cheap and will pay more for polished or painted or anodized aluminum because we THINK is worth more...
05-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The K30 will almost assuredly be $750-799 body only and $899 kit
And to keep market share you need a $699 kit...because the other brands have one.
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #555
Veteran Member

Besides the fun of speculating, isn`t anyone sceptical? There is only one vague scan that triggered this whole exitement, and Amazon has withdrawn the links. Is this just an unhappy accident or could it be a cunning marketingskeme (as it has spread all over the web and remember the previous previews of upcoming models by showing 1 detail at the time)?

To continue the speculating: While the K30 is (likely) not my cup of tea it would be great to see a new model as it is the first one produced bij P/R. If true I`m dying to see real specs and performance.