Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #736

were ?

05-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #737
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Lots of people use them as wireless master triggers, and they're incredibly useful for beginners in that sense.But I sort of agree, I wouldn't mind losing a built in flash.
Same here. I'd much rather see the space go to something else or just see the space it takes up removed (would be easier on large or rare lenses along with weather sealing complexity). They could even have a second port just for small flash and other devices that pull power from the camera. That way people can still have a super small flash if they want one.

Pentax needs to first change their flash system or provide a wireless commander though. I've advocated for an RF wireless trigger system in the camera, but I assume there are some issues with various countries and their restrictions on radio transmission frequencies and such.

That being said, on an entry level camera it's kind of a necessity as others have said. Many of the potential users wouldn't understand why it doesn't have a flash.
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #738
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Same here. I'd much rather see the space go to something else or just see the space it takes up removed (would be easier on large or rare lenses along with weather sealing complexity). They could even have a second port just for small flash and other devices that pull power from the camera. That way people can still have a super small flash if they want one.

Pentax needs to first change their flash system or provide a wireless commander though. I've advocated for an RF wireless trigger system in the camera, but I assume there are some issues with various countries and their restrictions on radio transmission frequencies and such.

That being said, on an entry level camera it's kind of a necessity as others have said. Many of the potential users wouldn't understand why it doesn't have a flash.
make that a flash unit with bluetooth.. open source sdk... smartphone/tablet/pc/mac aps.... . and Pentax will stomp the competition.....
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Because if you remove the on-board flash, you automatically alienate the enormous population of "Want-to-buy-dslr-just-because". That population is the one that will drop $800 bucks on a camera, use it with the lens it came with, and never ever get anything else.
You also lose the ability to use it as a wireless flash trigger or quick backlit subject fill light.

What do you lose by having it? Pentax cameras have never been called "too tall" if anything they've been called too short, with people annoyed the little finger goes under the camera. That's the last dimension they need to work on miniaturizing (thickness being the first, if at all possible).

The Nikon D700 and 800 have built-in flashes, as it's not only just an entry-level feature.

05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #740

Photos: Gallery
Pre-order your K-30 today on Newegg

Newegg will have it on July 9th for $899.95

Detailed specs below:
Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15624) Black 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

wonder if I should sell my K-r now (which I love by the way)

Last edited by Hegemon; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #741

some more photos

Extra Spec details

Open SLR Weather resistant stainless steel chassis and
(Splashing water, snow, dust and sand, protecting electronic circuits against)
* Excellent Image Quality

16MP APS-C CMOS sensor
High-speed image data signals to read and full detail a newly developed CMOS image sensor 16 MP APS-C (23.7X 15.7mm)
Vibration Sensor Blocker SR (Shake Reduction) available.
ISO 25 600 sensitivity.
Cleaning System

* Outstanding Video Image Quality

1080p Full HD video recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) High-quality video capture
Codec H.264 recording format
Frame rate to the user a choice to accommodate specific applications (Full HD 30, 25 or 24 fps, and HD resolution of up to 60 fps) to provide
Exposure Compensation (P, Av or M)
Video Editing and Customization?
Custom Image (Cross Processing, Monochrome, inverse Movie, Bleach Bypass, Muted, Bright, Vivid, Landscape, Portrait, Natural, Glossy)
Digital filters (Color, Color Invert, Color, Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast Extract)
Intermittent Feature Film (within the specified range is a series of images, and (99 hours) makes a video clip

* Fast and Sharp

Continuous shooting 6 frames / sec. Up to 30 JPEG and RAW 8
Estantane speed 1/6000 'e sec. To freeze the action in an image. Sports photography, and action for children

* Ease of Use

3 "(inch) LCD screen, 921 000 points, extra-wide 170 ° viewing
100% pentaprism viewfinder for a great comfort
Dual-Processor for direct access to various settings
Dual Power AA / AA batteries feature lithium-ion or
Auto exposure modes and a wide selection of digital filters

* Many Features

Custom Photo 9 modes (Bright, natural, portrait, landscape, lively, bright, quiet, ağırtmasız positive, unlike film, single-color, cross-processing)
Extending the dynamic range of highlights and shadows for more information
Multi-exposure
Interval Timer Shooting
Built-in RAW development
23 custom functions
Buttons / privatization
Flicker Reduction
Electronic level
Focus peaking
Lens correction
Copyright Information
Pixel mapping
Electronic level

Some pictures of accessories too.

Last edited by userage; 05-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #742
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice tall flash.... no more vigneting with fast lenses ....

05-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #743
ogl
Banned

K30 - 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in
K-5 5.16 x 3.82 x 2.87 in

I think almost the same
05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
So far i found body only, 18-55 DA and 18-135 kit. There's no price yet. Somebody was not paying enough attention, and the info is available (if you know what to search for).

That's where i got the info. It's a retailer from our planet it's not amazon, it's a small fish.

Would do them no good if i say who they are (maybe Pentax will get angry). After all, i guess they just make a living.
Really wish they saved the DA-L's for the upcoming true entry-level camera or K-01 kits.

Just doesn't make sense packing DA-Ls with this camera and it's marketing (especially if the camera on the box is all wet). If the consumer is even open to buying new lenses, they already have the upgrade path set with the DA* line. Packing in non-WR lenses just smacks of dishonesty, and could be asking for trouble.
05-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #745
Veteran Member

My only disappointment so far is it appears this camera will be bigger and weightier than the K-r. Of course, I suppose I was going to have to get a larger camera at some point or just never upgrade. Still, I was hoping for a miracle small package. I know the K-5 isn't huge, but for me weight and size are important. Otherwise, this looks like a real winner and unless I hear bad things from user reviews, I'm pretty sure I will be upgrading.
05-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #746
Banned

Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15758) Blue 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

Learn more about the PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15758)
General
BrandPENTAX
ModelK-30 Lens Kit (15758)
ColorBlue
Dimensions5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in
Weight1.3 lbs.
Package TypeSingle Lens KitImage Sensor
Image SensorCMOS
Image Sensor Size23.7 x 15.7mm (APS-C)
Gross Pixels16.5 MP
Effective Pixels16.3 MP
Dust Cleaning SystemSensor movement w SP coating on low pass filter
Image StabilizationSensor-shift SR
Resolution16M (4928x3264), 12M (4224x2816), 8M (3456x2304), 5M (2688x1792)White Balance
White BalanceImage sensor detection w light wavelength sensor assistViewfinder
Viewfinder TypePentaprism
Coverage100%
Magnification0.92X (w 50mm F1.4 at infinity)
Dioptric Adjustment-2.5m to 1.5m
Focusing ScreenNatural-Bright-Matte III (interchangeable)
Depth-of-Field PreviewOptical (diaphragm stop-down), digitalLCD Monitor
LCD3.0" 921k
Brightness AdjustmentYesFocus
Focus TypeSAFOX IXi+ TTL phase-detection 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system w light wavelength sensor and diffraction lens
Focusing ModesAF.A (auto), AF.S (single, w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF.C (continuous, w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual
AF-assist BeamYes, via dedicated LED AF assist lamp
Focusing Point SelectionAuto 11 pt, Auto 5 pt, User-Selectable (w Expanded Area AF), CenterExposure
Exposure Compensation+/- 5 EV (1/3 and 1/2 steps)
Metering SystemTTL open aperture 77 segment metering
ISO SensitivityAuto: 100-12800 (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to 100-25600, auto range selectable
Manual: 100-12800 (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to 100-25600Shutter
Shutter TypeElectronically controlled, vertical-run, focal plane shutter
Shutter Speed1/6000 to 30 sec (1/3 or 1/2 steps), Bulb
Self-timer12s, 2sFlash
Flash TypeRetractable P-TTL popup flash
Flash ModeOn, Redeye, Slow Sync, Slow Sync + Redeye, Trailing Curtain Sync, Wireless
Flash Range28mm wide angle equivalent
Flash Exposure Compensation-2 to 1 EV
External FlashHotshoe (P-TTL), high speed sync and wireless w PENTAX dedicated flashDrive System
Drive ModesSingle, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Self-Timer (12s, 2s), Remote (0s, 3s), Auto Bracketing (3 frames)Function
Scene ModesPortrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, Blue Sky, Forest, Night Scene, Night Scene HDR (JPG), Night Snap, Food, Pet, Kids, Surf & Snow, Backlight Silhouette, Candlelight, Stage Lighting, Museum
Live View FunctionMagnification (2-6X), Grid Overlay (4x4, Golden Ratio, Scale), Bright/Dark Indication, Histogram
PlaybackOne Shot (no data, basic data, full data, color channel histogram, bright/dark indication, copyright info), Multi Image Display (4, 9, 16, 36, 81 thumbnails), Magnification (up to 16X, scrollable, quick magnification), Image Rotation, Calendar Filmstrip, Display, Folder, Slideshow, Select & Delete, Movie Playback (no data, basic data, full data), Save RAW Data From JPG (if available in buffer memory)Recording System
File FormatRAW (DNG), JPG (EXIF 2.3), DCF 2.0 compliant, DPOF, PIM III
Color SpacesRGB, AdobeRGB
Recording MediaSD / SDHC /SDXC CardMovie
Movie FormatMOV MPEG-4 AVC (h.264)
Movie Recording1920x1080p30/25/24, 1280x720p60/50/30/25/24, 640x480p30/25/24
Max. Recording Resolution1920 x 1080Lens
Compatible LensesPENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF, and KA (K mount, 35mm screwmount, 645/67 med format lenses useable w adapter and/or restrictions)
Lens MountPENTAX KAF2 bayonet stainless steel mountInterface
USBUSB 2.0 hi-speed
A/V OutYes
MicBuilt-in monauralPower Source
BatteryRechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI109 (included), AA battery holder D-BH109 for 4 AA batteries (sold separately)Feature
FeaturesHigh performance 16 megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor.

Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition.

Rugged coldproof design for sub-freezing use (-10C, 14F).

PRIME M image processing engine, optimized for video, also captures outstanding still images.

Full 1080p30 HD video features h.264 compression, flexible exposure control, and HDR finishing options.

Advanced SAFOX IXi+ autofocus engine features AF assist lamp, light source sensor, and improved optical components.

Large 3 inch LCD is wide angle viewable, and features 921,000 dots of resolution.

Live View focus peaking highlights in-focus surfaces for fast and accurate manual or autofocus.

Low profile glass pentaprism viewfinder achieves a 100% optical field of view.

Highly accurate 77 segment metering system for accurate exposure, even in complex lighting.

Fast 6 FPS continuous shooting mode and 1/6000 second maximum shutter speed.

ISO speeds up to 25600 improve shutter speeds while minimizing noise in low lighting.

Programmable front and rear e-dials for convenience and PENTAX Hyper shift operation.

Sensor-shift Shake/Dust Reduction ensures sharp, dust-free imaging with any mounted lens.

Traditional modes combine with automatic modes for powerful, user-friendly operation.

In-camera HDR shooting modes feature multiple blending options and pixel alignment.

Compatible with both rechargeable Li-Ion and AA batteries (via optional AA battery holder).

Highly compact yet durable body with comfortable
05-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #747
Veteran Member

Pentaprism. Hell yeah

This just keeps looking better. I think they might have got this one right.
05-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #748
Veteran Member

For €799 brand new as released with a WR lens (that was the price right?), that is one hell of a camera. No mic input is a shame, but no big deal. Focus peaking on a DSLR compatible with thousands upon thousands of old readily available lenses with SR? Yes please.
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #749

"Focus TypeSAFOX IXi+ TTL phase-detection 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system w light wavelength sensor and diffraction lens"

9 crosstype focus points can be a huge improvement in speed and accuracy...
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #750

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Packing in non-WR lenses just smacks of dishonesty, and could be asking for trouble.
I completely agree. There is no sense in why they even do that. If the lens is not weather resistant, does that mean that water can get into the body between the lens and the lens mount? Or would only the lens be affected?

That issue aside, I'm certainly thrilled with everything else about this camera, so far.

I would like to know what the body-only price is going to be. I cannot imagine that they would not make that an option since lots of present Pentax owners will be buying the K-30 too. I might be able to find an 18-55 lens for two-thirds the cost of what it will cost as a kit lens. I now regret not buying one for $92 (a couple of months ago) through a highly rated Amazon reseller.