Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #766
Veteran Member

On the whole this is what I want, and I'm looking forward to get this when it comes out. It combines what I like with my blue (!) K-x with what I like with my K10D, so I get two cameras into one really.

05-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #767
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never mind

Last edited by Danny Delcambre; 05-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #768
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I don't see any dishonesty or trouble. If this is the entry level dSLR (and I, for one, think that it is) then it makes perfect sense to offer it as a kit with the non-WR 18-55 to keep the price as low as possible.
WR is an option that not everyone (especially an entry-level dSLR buyer) would need or want.
Agreed, but not every average buyer will know this right away. There should be a disclaimer that WR is dependent on use with a WR lens. If I was buying my first DSLR, and wanted WR, the marketing materials wouldn't do anything to disabuse me of the notion that I was getting a fully-WR kit with the K-30 base kit. I wouldn't necessarily know that WR lenses even existed. . . .

That said, the last time Pentax did a low-mid level DSLR with WR, the K200d, the kit was offered without a WR lens.

Personally, WR is not that important to me, however, if/when I buy a K-30, I'll buy it as a body, and I'll buy a secondhand 18-55 WR for those rare times.
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #769

Photos: Albums
Hopefully this will make people take a step back and think "whoa, Pentax!". And rather than buy into the Canikon hype, take a chance on a non dominant company. I think the K30 coupled with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 will be an awesome set up. For me anyway =o]

05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #770
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15758) Blue 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

Learn more about the PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15758)
General
BrandPENTAX
ModelK-30 Lens Kit (15758)
ColorBlue
Dimensions5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in
Weight1.3 lbs.

Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition.
This was part of the spec sheet for the blue lens KIT. Now depending on your definition of "Full" or "worry-free", I'd say this is pretty misleading to the uninitiated, whom this camera is being marketed for. Wouldn't you say?

Objectively, do you really think its good policy to be putting asterisks in the product (and sales) literature and blame the consumer (and sales associate) for missing it? Because this doesn't even do that.
05-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #771
Veteran Member

And there I was having just about convinced myself that the K5 had dropped to an affordable price for me to upgrade my beloved K20D..
Now I have an extra choice to make between the K5 and K30, nice one Pentax, always good to to have an extra body to look at
Cant wait for the reviews
05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #772
Veteran Member

I don't see any dishonesty or trouble. If this is the entry level dSLR (and I, for one, think that it is) then it makes perfect sense to offer it as a kit with the non-WR 18-55 to keep the price as low as possible. (The fact that this will be offered as a kit with the DA L 18-55 should be proof that this is the entry-level dSLR, btw.)
That's a big if. I'd say the $900 kit price alone is proof it isn't.

05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #773

Another picture from PentaxOne - PENTAX K30

Left side comparaison of the K-5 and the K30 (scale +/- correct).
You can see the bigger (longer) prism of the K30 (it gives the opportunity to reduce red eye with the flash, because it's higher above the body).

05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #774
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
This was part of the spec sheet for the blue lens KIT. Now depending on your definition of "Full" or "worry-free", I'd say this is pretty misleading to the uninitiated, whom this camera is being marketed for. Wouldn't you say?

Objectively, do you really think its good policy to be putting asterisks in the product (and sales) literature and blame the consumer (and sales associate) for missing it? Because this doesn't even do that.
I agree. Their official ad copy should read more like the K200d's:
Pentax K200D SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm Lens 19554 B&H
Note it consistently references a Weather and Dust-resistant BODY. And that was sold as a kit without the WR 18-55.
05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #775

k10 was not sold with wr lens either
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #776
wll
Veteran Member

The more I read about the K-30 ...

The more I like it. I think Pentax went for the throat with this camera and may have hit a home run in mid range market. This thing looks like a giant killer (even though it does not have a articulating screen ). ;- )

wll
05-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #777

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Agreed, but not every average buyer will know this right away. There should be a disclaimer that WR is dependent on use with a WR lens. If I was buying my first DSLR, and wanted WR, the marketing materials wouldn't do anything to disabuse me of the notion that I was getting a fully-WR kit with the K-30 base kit. I wouldn't necessarily know that WR lenses even existed. . . .
Very well said, Ryan.

lammie200, I agree that the most affordable bundle possible is a wise idea, but they could make two kits for newcomers/novices, one WR, one non-WR. I don't think the logistics would be that complicated (although I'm not implying that you would say it is complicated ).

I am also sure that it will be offered as body-only. Has there been a Pentax dSLR release that hasn't been offered as body-only?
I figured as much, but my imagination was led a bit astray by the fact that the various leaked ads have only shown the kits, not the body only.

And, yes, water intrusion can happen between a non-WR lens and the lens mount. WR lenses have an o-ring gasket to prevent that from happening.
I suspected as much, but I'm still a relative newcomer. From what I've read so far, the K-30 will probably (finally) be my first DSLR. It has the additional features that I wanted the K-5 to have, focus peaking and h.264 video being chief among them.

Theoretically water intrusion can also happen through the internals of a non-WR lens into the mirror box..
I actually thought about that, but it wouldn't be that important to me, because 1.) I'm not going to be photographing in any heavy rains or in any sort of watery environment (we've barely had any precipitation since last June), and 2.) if any water gets into my non-WR lens, I will have it off of the camera long before it ever seeps into it.

I haven't lost any of my 35mm cameras to any sort of water damage since 1978, and I'm not about to let it happen in the future either (knock on wood ).
05-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
k10 was not sold with wr lens either
The DA WR lens didn't exist at the time of the K10D, K20D or K200D. Short of packing it with a DA* they had no other choice.

The K-7 and K-5 were sold with DA WRs, and if Pentax is marketing the K30 as an affordable WR camera, than it should include WR kits, especially if theyre making marketing claims about "full worry-free weather sealing" on them.
05-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #779

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery grip options? If this is not available, such as the case with my current KX and the KR, I'M gonna look for a used k5!!!! Living everything else though. Hopefully the K5 replacement will also go with the dual battery option..........Cause that's the one and only thing I don't like about it.
05-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
That's a big if. I'd say the $900 kit price alone is proof it isn't.
What was the msrp for the K-r body-only when it was introduced? As I recall it was $799. So, for $100 more you will be getting a camera with the K-30 specs and a lens that is optically equivalent to the WR version. I don't see a big "If" there.

Why were the intros of the Q and K-01 price positioned where they were? Certainly R/P could have entered into the MILC market with less expensive products. It is because R/P wasn't thinking about smaller margins and quantity. They were thinking about larger margins and quality. (OK all the the poor quality freaks can pile on now.) A lot of manufacturers don't care to persue lower tier products.