Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Boy... I hope you don't work for R/P marketing... is it wrong to offer customer more choices?
I've heard marketing people say that yes, sometime's it is wrong. How many phones does apple offer today?

I think 2 options is too low, but on the other hand, sometimes 500 options is too many for an 'average' customer to understand; they'll get frustrated and move on.

05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #842
Veteran Member

Boy... I hope you don't work for R/P marketing... is it wrong to offer customer more choices?
If they also offered 18-55mm WR kit choices then no it wouldn't be wrong. But they aren't, at least not so far.

If they're marketing Kits as "Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition." when it's clearly false then yes, that's wrong.

Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15679) White 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

You really don't think so?
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #843
Veteran Member

Biggest surprise to me: Pentaprism. I think that's a good sign.
05-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #844
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
-Is this the same Sony sensor as in the k-5 & k-1? I read, but wasn't sure.
-Robyn, The K-30 and K-01 use the same sensor. The K-5 uses an earlier version of this sensor.

-No focus peaking in video mode? Why? What about AF microadjustments and sync speed?
-Jaromir, Focus peaking is available in video mode, just not after the capture has started. The flash sync speed is 1/180 second and yes, it does have the AF micro adjustment.

And now the most interesting one:
-So does this fall between the Pentax K-r and the K-7 then?
-Stefan, I guess you could say this falls between those cameras, but in some aspects has better features than the K-7.

05-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #845
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
If they also offered 18-55mm WR kit choices then no it wouldn't be wrong. But they aren't, at least not so far.

If they're marketing Kits as "Full weather sealing for worry-free use in any weather condition." when it's clearly false then yes, that's wrong.

Newegg.com - PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit (15679) White 16.3 MP 3.0" 921k LCD Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens

You really don't think so?
But that is only a marketing thing, and I am sure they will correct that as it is usually referred to the camera (new introduction).... "for true-weather resistance, make sure you get the WR lens" or something like will likely appear. The bundling of the 18-55 L version is only to lower the price point for new comers who will eventually upgrade to the WR lens. I just don't see that as a big deal at all.
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #846
Veteran Member

But that is only a marketing thing, and I am sure they will correct that as it is usually referred to the camera (new introduction).... "for true-weather resistance, make sure you get the WR lens" or something like will likely appear. The bundling of the 18-55 L version is only to lower the price point for new comers who will eventually upgrade to the WR lens. I just don't see that as a big deal at all.
But we were talking about marketing. Sigh.

Fine, you all have faith that Pentax will clear all this up at some later point, but note they're already dealing with the market confusion on their Facebook page and likely more than one person has done pre-ordered from that NewEgg page under false pretense.

Most newcomers don't "upgrade" lenses at all, and calling having to buy an optically identical lens as an "upgrade" is debatable.

I'm glad Pentax has finally embraced affordable WR as a product marketing point, I just wish they didn't leave any room for user/salesperson error or exposure to claims of false advertising.
05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #847
Veteran Member

I am not sure if the k-30 is more skinnier or chunkier than the k-5 grip.. I think it is about the same, may be a little more stylish.
There was a side by side photo on dpreview (which I can't find now) which clearly showed the K-5 grip was much fatter.

05-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #848
Veteran Member

I like the ad...

05-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine, you all have faith that Pentax will clear all this up at some later point, but note they're already dealing with the market confusion on their Facebook page and likely more than one person has done pre-ordered from that NewEgg page under false pretense.

Most newcomers don't "upgrade" lenses at all, and calling having to buy an optically identical lens as an "upgrade" is debatable.

I'm glad Pentax has finally embraced affordable WR as a product marketing point, I just wish they didn't leave any room for user/salesperson error or exposure to claims of false advertising.
They don't have, as numerous people have responded. Pentax only claims the K-30 body is weather sealed. But you've sunk your teeth into this meme and you can't let go.

[EDIT: Per Adam B&H will not offer the WR kit lens bundled]
In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR kit lens for $899

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #850
Veteran Member

False pretense or not.. the 7D is also claimed to be weather resistance to some degree.. but do they have true WR lens (may be some L glasses), and do they bundle the WR L lenses in order to claim it to be WR capable?

I agree that Pentax should take advantage selling the 18-135 WR lens as a bundle, but for some newcomers, WR is not necessarily the top priority (lower cost may be). At least knowing that the camera is capable to weather the weather in any condition is already a big selling point.
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #851
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
And now the most interesting one:
-So does this fall between the Pentax K-r and the K-7 then?
-Stefan, I guess you could say this falls between those cameras, but in some aspects has better features than the K-7.
We can now say that this is NOT a true low end camera and rather a middle ground.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I like the ad...
Great ad! I'm drooling as I watch it.
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They don't have, as numerous people have responded. Pentax only claims the K-30 body is weather sealed. But you've sunk your teeth into this meme and you can't let go.

In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR for $899
They don't have what? It's only the first day. I've shown proof but you dismiss it. NewEgg claims the DA-L kit is fully weather sealed, multiply that error by thousands of less than thorough retailers and you have a marketing problem. They should fix it.
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #853
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

In any event B&H offers the K-30 w/ 18~55 WR kit lens for $899
Wow, for 50 dollars more you get the 18-55 WR is really nice indeed....
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #854
Veteran Member

Wow, for 50 dollars more you get the 18-55 WR is really nice indeed....
Not confirmed (but I certainly hope so). It shows the 18-55 DA-L in the picture and Adam has been asked to look into it.
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #855
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There was a side by side photo on dpreview (which I can't find now) which clearly showed the K-5 grip was much fatter.
I think you may be right.. the K-5 is fatter... but still comparing to the Canikon camera grips.. it is chunky and the curves fits into the hands quite nicely.