Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #916
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
In every sector of consumer electronics this has been the norm for decades. Entry level shoppers look for a simple spec to lock onto and then pursue that one spec....
Cheers - thanks for the personal take on it!

05-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #917
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
And apparently Nikon!
And likely it will work (though maybe with less crippling) for Pentax. I've been saying since i came on the board that one of the market share problems was the lack of a true entry level product. No need to keep old stuff in production to hit 399 like canikon, but at least a 499-599 competitor
05-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #918
Veteran Member

Remind me never to buy a camera from Eddie, its going cost me more lol
05-22-2012, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #919

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Being a fan of the brand means you CARE about the brand, that's why I've been so concerned. Praising every step a brand makes, dismissing evidence of any missteps, and isolating and alienating people who bring up legit concerns isn't being a brand fan, it's being a fanatic/fanboy/cheerleader. If being publicly called names for stating facts and valid concerns about the Pentax brand is what it means to be part of the "PentaxForums Community" then I want no part in it.
You know the term fan is short for fanatic right? Also, fanboy is just a derogatory form of the term fan. And who can really say anything bad about cheerleaders really? I mean they are full of pep and stuff. Just saying.

05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #920
Veteran Member

And apparently Nikon!
Yea, I've known people who believes that their Canon T2i is better than a Nikon D7000/K5 because the T2i is 18mp.
05-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #921
Veteran Member

And apparently Nikon!
Yes but people don't realize that Pentax does not have the same manufacturing capacity to do the same "me-too" stuff; at least not yet.... I think it is prudent to select a market and excel in it rather than appealing to the general mass.. chance of getting a newcomers to get into a barebone Pentax camera is very slim (not as if showing it on display and it will sell). Other brands have tried and not being very successful.
05-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #922
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-30 + a Limited is a beauty: Compact Camera Meter
I would love to see it from different angles with the 40mm.

05-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yes but people don't realize that Pentax does not have the same manufacturing capacity to do the same "me-too" stuff; at least not yet.... I think it is prudent to select a market and excel then appeal to general mass.. chance to getting a newcomers to get into a barebone Pentax camera is not just showing it on display and it will sell. Other brands have tried and not being very successful.
Oh they do have something that others don't: Color-choice. The D3200 comes in two colors, regular black and ugly red. The color-scheme of the K-x and K-r was a hit in the eastern market, and I see the same happening with the "K-z". As a result both Canon and Nikon introduced different color variation of their cameras.
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #924
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
You know the term fan is short for fanatic right? Also, fanboy is just a derogatory form of the term fan. And who can really say anything bad about cheerleaders really? I mean they are full of pep and stuff. Just saying.
Ha, yes that's the origin of the term "fan" but it's a different word now, with different connotations. And I like cheerleaders too, just don't think this is the place for them.
05-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #925
D0n
Banned

I think an all plastic, multi colour options, evf version of the k-01 will appeal to the masses looking for a cheaper entry level k-mount camera ....
05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #926
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fact: B&H lists the WR lens as part of the 18-55mm kit, but shows a DA-L in its picture. Every other retailer so far (Amazon, NewEgg) sell the 18-55mm kit with a DA-L for the SAME PRICE. There is indisputably an error somewhere (pic or listing), or B&H is running it's own or special kit which deserves a confirmation.
I just chatted with "Yossi" at B&H and he confirms that the B&H kits are all WR. His words:

"yes, the 18-55mm kit lenses are all the WR version, I am sorry the stock photos we have do not state WR on the lens, once we receive an updated image from Pentax we will change it"

This is a really nice offer from B&H!
05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #927
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I think an all plastic, multi colour options, evf version of the k-01 will appeal to the masses looking for a cheaper entry level k-mount camera ....
Don't neglect "the masses" will to look professional. Consumers usually try to copy the persons they look up to.
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #928
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaximus Quote
I just chatted with "Yossi" at B&H and he confirms that the B&H kits are all WR. His words:

"yes, the 18-55mm kit lenses are all the WR version, I am sorry the stock photos we have do not state WR on the lens, once we receive an updated image from Pentax we will change it"

That's BIG news, thanks for confirming Pentaximus.

Even Adorama and Amazon only have the DA-L kit listed at that price.
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #929
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaximus Quote

That's BIG news, thanks for confirming Pentaximus.

Even Adorama and Amazon only have the DA-L kit listed at that price.
[EDIT: Per Adam on the K30 Order sticky, B&H will not offer the WR version.}
So the retailer decides how to build and price the kits and Pentax assembles the boxes as ordered, meaning the entire WR kit lens debate isn't a Pentax marketing decision.

What a waste of bandwidth and pixels over nothing.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So the retailer decides how to build and price the kits and Pentax assembles the boxes as ordered, meaning the entire WR kitm lens debate isn't a Pentax marketing decision.

What a waste of bandwidth and pixels over nothing.
I'm super glad the 18-55mm WR kit is available, but if you don't think this will only add to the WR/non-WR market confusion at other retailers/online you're mistaken.

Last edited by illdefined; 05-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.