Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That trend really came into its own during the K-01 introduction.
Very true lol
Its infuriating. debates are good and healthy and can be a possative thing. It often opens up new ideas and thoughts, where you simply think... yeah thats true.. never thought of it that way

05-21-2012, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Wrong. You need tripod anyway for shooting landscapes, and the landscape shooting is an area where you need maximum sharpness and resolution. So, FF has an edge here too.
FF has an edge in image quality. However, smaller sensors mean smaller, lighter and cheaper equipment and a stop shorter shutterspeed at the same DOF compared to FF. So with this in mind plus built-in stabilization you may not need a tripod in many circumstances. In addition you have the possiblity of greater DOF than is possible with larger format at the same angle of view.
APS is already good enopugh for fine art prints and your own quality demand must be the judgement on what you need.
05-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #198
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Check out the tool at the bottom of this page:
Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

It seems that smaller pixels and more densely packed pixels hit a diffraction wall earlier than lower density sensors. The K-5 has a similar pixel size/density to the D800 and looses a stop of DOF as a result due to diffraction limits and interference based on airy disc size versus pixel size. It seems that the ideal pixel size for a FF DSLR might well be 24MP or even 16MP. Hence the more expensive DSLR products from both canon and Nikon.
I found it interesting that the new Nikon D4 has a 16.2 mp sensor compared to the Dx3 having a 24mp sensor especially back stopped by the D800 having a 36mp sensor.
05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #199

the Dx3 is a studio camera, and never beat the Ds3 for wildlife and higth iso photo

05-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #200
Veteran Member

I think the only reason anyone could want more pixels than 16milion is that they have a use for larger files or need to make ginourmous prints. In fact I would say 12 milion is probably the right area. I was never intrested in the extra pixels or bigger files, i went with the 16milion because it gave even better high ISO performance. Given the choice, I would have prefered the technology to have gone into producing even cleaner ISO in the 12 milion sector. I would be seriously unhappy about having even bigger files.
05-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #201
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Full-frame compatible lenses still in production:
- FA 31mm f1.8
- FA 43mm f1.9
- FA 77mm f1.8
- FA 35mm f2
- FA 50mm f1.4
- DFA 50mm f2.8 Macro
- DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR

I think the decision to release a full frame DSLR would be welcome by many. But improvements in AF to match CaNikon counterparts must follow. Also, a wider variety of (improved) SDM lenses. Every full frame Pentax-made lens is currently screw driven. Full frame users who want to stay discrete might want SDM lenses..
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
Full-frame compatible lenses still in production:
- FA 50mm f1.4
Crosspost from SLR Lens forum:

Hmm... Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount site lists the FA 50/1.4 as out of production, i.e. no more production runs even though still available new from stockpile.

That, and the introduction of the DA 50/1.8 (replacing the FA) strongly indicate there's no FF on the horizon. IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and the FA 50/1.4 is missing from the lens roadmap. (Thanks brofkand)
05-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #203
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote

Hmm... Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount site lists the FA 50/1.4 as out of production, i.e. no more production runs even though still available new from stockpile.

That, and the introduction of the DA 50/1.8 (replacing the FA) strongly indicate there's no FF on the horizon. IMO.

Interesting. That roadmap doesn't have the FA 35mm f2 either. Is that also out of production?

05-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote

Replied on the other thread that the discontinuation could mean PRI needs the production line for new FF lenses. Also, the DA*55/1.4 image circle is reputed to cover the FF sensor. Simple repackaging to market as a FF lens.

IMO, based upon extensive reading of various types of media within and without camera industry, Pentax will release a FF Professional camera next year and over time build a proper full professional support network.

Whether you consider next year to be "on the horizon" is a point for discussion but I am convinced this time they will actually do it.
05-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
Interesting. That roadmap doesn't have the FA 35mm f2 either. Is that also out of production?
Yes, replaced by the DA 35/2.4 AL (see Bojidar Dimitrov).
05-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #206
D0n
Banned

I would think any of the ltd's would work fine on a ff pentax and might even be worth the cost as long as the sensor doesn't outresolve the lenses...
05-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #207

some more photos

Extra Spec details

Open SLR Weather resistant stainless steel chassis and
(Splashing water, snow, dust and sand, protecting electronic circuits against)
* Excellent Image Quality

16MP APS-C CMOS sensor
High-speed image data signals to read and full detail a newly developed CMOS image sensor 16 MP APS-C (23.7X 15.7mm)
Vibration Sensor Blocker SR (Shake Reduction) available.
ISO 25 600 sensitivity.
Cleaning System

* Outstanding Video Image Quality

1080p Full HD video recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) High-quality video capture
Codec H.264 recording format
Frame rate to the user a choice to accommodate specific applications (Full HD 30, 25 or 24 fps, and HD resolution of up to 60 fps) to provide
Exposure Compensation (P, Av or M)
Video Editing and Customization?
Custom Image (Cross Processing, Monochrome, inverse Movie, Bleach Bypass, Muted, Bright, Vivid, Landscape, Portrait, Natural, Glossy)
Digital filters (Color, Color Invert, Color, Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast Extract)
Intermittent Feature Film (within the specified range is a series of images, and (99 hours) makes a video clip

* Fast and Sharp

Continuous shooting 6 frames / sec. Up to 30 JPEG and RAW 8
Estantane speed 1/6000 'e sec. To freeze the action in an image. Sports photography, and action for children

* Ease of Use

3 "(inch) LCD screen, 921 000 points, extra-wide 170 ° viewing
100% pentaprism viewfinder for a great comfort
Dual-Processor for direct access to various settings
Dual Power AA / AA batteries feature lithium-ion or
Auto exposure modes and a wide selection of digital filters

* Many Features

Custom Photo 9 modes (Bright, natural, portrait, landscape, lively, bright, quiet, ağırtmasız positive, unlike film, single-color, cross-processing)
Extending the dynamic range of highlights and shadows for more information
Multi-exposure
Interval Timer Shooting
Built-in RAW development
23 custom functions
Buttons / privatization
Flicker Reduction
Electronic level
Focus peaking
Lens correction
Copyright Information
Pixel mapping
Electronic level

Some pictures of accessories too.

Last edited by userage; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #208
Veteran Member

The handstrap looks better than the one I have...
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
The handstrap looks better than the one I have...
I was just going to say the same thing. Those hand straps look nice.
05-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Whats funny... I bought a handstrap on ebay for the K5.... never stopped to think Ive got a grip on it lol.... Didnt work.... but heyyyyy amazingly it fits my Nikon D300 with grip attached brilliantly lol.... alls well that ends well