Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
hopefully they are also in the process of expanding the lens plant to accommodate more volume
It would be interesting to know mwhether Ricoh has unused facilities that can be repositioned to Pentax

05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #347
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It would be interesting to know mwhether Ricoh has unused facilities that can be repositioned to Pentax
I hope they can dedicate a specialty line or 2 to the specialty lenses.
05-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #348
Veteran Member

To me, the QC of Ricoh is a bit of an unknown. I'm hesitant right now - Pentax isn't the best QC, but it's easy to imagine worse, too.
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #349
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
To me, the QC of Ricoh is a bit of an unknown. I'm hesitant right now - Pentax isn't the best QC, but it's easy to imagine worse, too.
Fuji?

For all their hoopla, they've had their problems.

Leica?

M8 filters, anyone?

05-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #350
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmmmmm. . . . .

I wonder what all those lens engineers reportedly re-hired last December are doing with all their time?
Thom Hogan has a May 14 rundown of mid-range zoom choice for the D800. Worth a read because it also sums up the Pentax quandary when it comes to design and market choices. He breaks it down to the 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4, and 28-300/3.5-5.6.

D800 Lens Choice
May 14, 2012
Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site

IMO Pentax must have a 2.8 for FF and at least one of the other 2 right off the bat (or a 24-90/28-105 or 120, price more a factor than f-stop for market position).

No matter how much pent-up demand, bodies won't sell if lens choice is constrained. Most of Pentax's efforts for FF lenses will have to go to zooms initially and rely on dated, legacy lenses and the Limited to carry the load for awhile longer.

A 70-200/2.8 is also a no-brainer, but it's the wide end where things get chancy.
05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #351
Pentaxian

To me, the QC of Ricoh is a bit of an unknown.
Ricoh won a Deming Prize in 1975. I don't think Pentax ever did.
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Definitely makes them seem better in my eyes, but that's still 37 years ago... back then a Mercedes was considered a high-quality car!
05-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #353
Forum Member

if the build quality of their GXR can be used as a reference, i wouldn't worry at all. its a solid, well built piece of gear. mine was subject to intensive use and the only part that showed some wear was the leather near the grip.

05-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nikon didn't ditch their base and have used evolved version over years of their bayonet mount for 48+ years. What you are talking about by going to a new mount will go ahead and push the folks that have both Nikon (or Canon) full frame and Pentax APS-c and or film completely the other direction. 'Legacy' has been Pentax's hall mark and that is where a lot of their loyal base comes in. At a 5% dSLR market share, they better think hard about throwing us under the damn bus.
A "5% dSLR market share" neatly illustrates the point. What's that likely to mean in terms of FF usage among the Pentax base - 0.5% perhaps? So if Pentax make just another FF dSLR they will sell very few of them, at a guess, because they are highly unlikely to tempt over many if any Canonikon users. I don't know what the FF plan is or even whether there is one, and I doubt anyone else on here does, but I think it is going to have to be something different from just another FF dSLR, enough to tempt non-Pentax users to buy it as a second camera. Everyone here throws up their hands at the notion but look at the figures bearing in mind the pretty large upfront investment needed in new tech, software and lenses. There are circumstances in which "Legacy" can be a millstone and one has to ask whether Ricoh really have the money to fund probably several years of losses while Pentax FF gets off the ground. If this was Fuji producing an X1-Pro FF everyone would be saying wow, fab, great, I'll get one and they wouldn't be complaining that 30-year-old lenses didn't fit it. Anyway, fast forward a year and I expect we'll all know.
05-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #355
Pentaxian

Actually, Ricoh claims two Deming Awards

QuoteQuote:
Deming Award

Ricoh Quality

Few Corporations have ever won one. Ricoh has two of them.
But yeah, the proof is in the pudding.
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #356
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
A "5% dSLR market share" neatly illustrates the point. What's that likely to mean in terms of FF usage among the Pentax base - 0.5% perhaps? So if Pentax make just another FF dSLR they will sell very few of them, at a guess, because they are highly unlikely to tempt over many if any Canonikon users. I don't know what the FF plan is or even whether there is one, and I doubt anyone else on here does, but I think it is going to have to be something different from just another FF dSLR, enough to tempt non-Pentax users to buy it as a second camera. Everyone here throws up their hands at the notion but look at the figures bearing in mind the pretty large upfront investment needed in new tech, software and lenses. There are circumstances in which "Legacy" can be a millstone and one has to ask whether Ricoh really have the money to fund probably several years of losses while Pentax FF gets off the ground. If this was Fuji producing an X1-Pro FF everyone would be saying wow, fab, great, I'll get one and they wouldn't be complaining that 30-year-old lenses didn't fit it. Anyway, fast forward a year and I expect we'll all know.
That would still have to fund even if the alienated their base by switching mounts. Its a myth that there is anything wrong with the Pentax bayonet they adopted in 1975. Nikon never had to bail on their mount. Its very similar to the Pentax mount. The reason Canon bailed was that the breech lock system of the FD wasn't conducive to the switch to AF. However, even Canon wouldn't bail on their current mount. That is one of Oly's biggest problems is they have too many mounts floating around. Just to be clear, switching mounts isn't going to suddenly attract any clientele that they can't attract with the current mount and in fact may concern folks. Think sustainability.
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #357
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, but by the end of the 80s, they had killed their version of the K-mount.
05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #358
Veteran Member

Well.... if they can make an FF with a special mount that is highly adaptiable to other mounts i don't see it as something negative.
It only makes going from Nikon or Cannon to Pentax FF easier if you can keep using the lenses you have without much limitations.
05-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That would still have to fund even if the alienated their base by switching mounts. Its a myth that there is anything wrong with the Pentax bayonet they adopted in 1975. Nikon never had to bail on their mount. Its very similar to the Pentax mount. The reason Canon bailed was that the breech lock system of the FD wasn't conducive to the switch to AF. However, even Canon wouldn't bail on their current mount. That is one of Oly's biggest problems is they have too many mounts floating around. Just to be clear, switching mounts isn't going to suddenly attract any clientele that they can't attract with the current mount and in fact may concern folks. Think sustainability.
There's plenty of ways to retrofit.
05-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #360
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well.... if they can make an FF with a special mount that is highly adaptiable to other mounts i don't see it as something negative.
It only makes going from Nikon or Cannon to Pentax FF easier if you can keep using the lenses you have without much limitations.
The whole point of having a proprietary mount is to sell YOU lenses...not the other guy's.

That drives revenues and profits.

The only metric that really matters is register distance.

No one makes any money making bodies only so people can migrate amongst mounts with lens adapters.