Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
yeah but that may simply be a lytro cam insatlled on an Ipod for all we know...
I want a kmount! lol!

hell a q mount on an iphone would rock!
Yeah, I read the Lytro guy was summoned to Apple HQ by Jobs (dropped everything and got in his car to get there).

This happened Sunday.

My wife paid good money at a Charity Auction for a donor amateur to create a watercolor graduation portrait of my daughter on her campus. Kinda neat idea - he attaches a standard full-body 5x7 portrait print to the canvas and paints in the background from a super-wide angle shot. There was (supposedly) a nice sample of his work at the auction.

Guy showed up with (as my wife describes it) a "honkin' big Nikon" to take the photos, from which he would work at home. Forgot the SD card, so he went to Walgreens. Couldn't get the clamshell packaging for the card open, so my wife lent him her purse knife. Then he couldn't get the off-brand card to work in the freakin' camera.

So he took the photos with his iPhone (move closer; move closer).

Last edited by monochrome; 05-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #557
Site Supporter

Even before the K7 was announced and then the K5 with their smaller footprint (handprint?) I had been wishing for a K20D size body for my big hands and long fingers. I just rented a K5 to try out and it's a great camera but it's just feels too small in my hands. When I heard about the K30 I was hoping my wish had come true, but alas, it replaces the Kr. I don't want a FF sensor because I shoot wildlife and occasionally motorsports so I like having the 1.5 crop factor. If the rumored 550mm lens appears that will make my day. Just my .
05-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #558
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Even before the K7 was announced and then the K5 with their smaller footprint (handprint?) I had been wishing for a K20D size body for my big hands and long fingers. I just rented a K5 to try out and it's a great camera but it's just feels too small in my hands. When I heard about the K30 I was hoping my wish had come true, but alas, it replaces the Kr. I don't want a FF sensor because I shoot wildlife and occasionally motorsports so I like having the 1.5 crop factor. If the rumored 550mm lens appears that will make my day. Just my .
I have the same problem - that's why the battery grip is permanently attached to my K-5
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #559
Site Supporter

If I rent the K5 again I'll see if I can get a grip and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the comment.

05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
FWIW - the D800E has a K-5 sensor in the middle of a much larger sensor.
05-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
FWIW - the D800E has a K-5 sensor in the middle of a much larger sensor.
.... meaning you could just crop out the outer half of the pixels and then have the same result. Your expensive lenses aren't longer on APS-C , you're only using the middle bit of them.

So I guess that would be the sensor "we'd" get if we ever get an FF Pentax anytime soon.
05-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #562
Veteran Member

If Nikon launches the rumoured low-priced entry-level full frame D600 at around $1600~1800, how do you think will Pentax match it? Any price guesses too?
05-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #563
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Smaller formats generally require higher precision (in all parts).

I'm sure their marketing said so, but it's obviously not true. They went to a completely electronic mount, and they most definitely could have added electronics to their old mount, and made cameras that still supported the old (mechanical) aperture control for a few generations. The end result of what they did is probably better (for them), but that doesn't mean the alternative was impossible.
Correct. Here is the Canon FD mount with electronic contacts.

Canon only made three lenses of this type and they only worked on the Canon T80. They all had an ugly hump to house the needed electronics and focus engine. But the contacts worked.

This thread has really drifted far away from its purpose. Perhaps time to close it unless their is some new leak you can rage about?

05-30-2012, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

This thread has really drifted far away from its purpose. Perhaps time to close it unless their is some new leak you can rage about?

Aww C'mon daaddd! It's fun. Besides we haven't got to the point of talking about elephants' scrotums yet like in the other thread.
Did you know that elephants don't have scrotums? I didn't. That is the most interesting thing I learnt today, I'm not kidding.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/144302-k-3-speculation...ml#post1971198
05-30-2012, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #565
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Aww C'mon daaddd! It's fun. Besides we haven't got to the point of talking about elephants' scrotums yet like in the other thread.
Did you know that elephants don't have scrotums? I didn't. That is the most interesting thing I learnt today, I'm not kidding.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/144302-k-3-speculation...ml#post1971198
most interesting thing I learned as well
05-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
most interesting thing I learned as well
+1, finally some facts in this thread!
05-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #567
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

Had to look up "s...s". My English teacher never taught us such bad words (but the Spanish teacher did ). Have to check the forum rules how many infractions you should have for that.

I'm sure they have some sort of internal system instead.
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #568
Pentaxian

Scrotum is Latin, not English, and used in French also (and many other languages I suppose). Quite medical, nothing filthy.

Its function is to keep the temperature of the testicles slightly lower than that of the rest of the body to avoid damaging the sperm count. The temperature is controlled by the scrotum moving the testicles closer to the abdomen when the ambient temperature is cold and further away when it is hot.

Apparently the elephants don't need such device.

Last edited by Mistral75; 05-30-2012 at 09:18 AM.
05-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #569
Veteran Member

It's just like saying elbow or forehead IMO. Nothing rude
05-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #570
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Had to look up "s...s". My English teacher never taught us such bad words (but the Spanish teacher did ). Have to check the forum rules how many infractions you should have for that.

I'm sure they have some sort of internal system instead.
at least ten infractions...but then you got give him twenty bonus points for hilarity, so he comes out far enough ahead to say: !!@#$%^&&*!!!