Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #631
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbp Quote
@Kunzite, the idea was that if it can be mass produced cheaply, then it could be sold at a good price. But I know that we live in the modern digital era where, unlike the begone film era, full frame are mostly for pro's and people who can actually afford it.

*Sigh* I guess I'll just keep dreaming.
Problem is costs are much different than they were when building a film body. Sensor size really impacts retail so you end up building to meet enthusiast and pro demands because they are the ones willing to pay the price the camera needs to be. Many of the features cost little to include since they are likely on the processor chip already and just disabled - nikon and canon do this all the time

09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #632
Pentaxian

Well:
- it can't be mass produced cheaply (full metal body, and one not designed for mass production)
- you would still add expensive electronics, even if the back LCD and the AF module would be left out
- you'll drastically limit its sales, because most people would not give up features for nostalgia.
Each of those scream: high price. Sorry, it can't work.
09-05-2012, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #633
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it wouldn't be so expensive to initially design, a Modular camera design.. similar to a desktop PC where one can select case/body and processor/sensor and it would be upgradeable at any time through a few different pathing options (depending on body features).
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #634
mbp

Thanks eddie1960 for your reply.
I know that if major cameras manufactures where to make old film cameras, the cost would be substantially higher than it was in the film era. For example, if Pentax were to re-introduce their Super Takumar 50/1.4 in 2012, it would be expensive! To this day the craftsmanship of this lens is almost unmatched.
Kunzite, what if the camera body was made out of carton, would that make it cheaper? Ok, Mr. Kunz take a deep breath, I am just pulling your leg here
But seriously kunz, I was just expressing a fun and innocuous idea, I didn't think I was going to get tackled from every angle just for shearing an innocent idea.

There are no limitations about THINKING outside the box; however, mass producing those thoughts to real life is totally a different thing.
Anyways, I am pretty hyped up for the K-3, regardless of being FF or not.

09-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #635
Veteran Member

It would be large and expensive, with poor write speeds, etc., IMO.
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #636
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If it wouldn't be so expensive to initially design, a Modular camera design.. similar to a desktop PC where one can select case/body and processor/sensor and it would be upgradeable at any time through a few different pathing options (depending on body features).
Something like this?

Hartblei Cam Review
09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #637
Pentaxian

But seriously kunz, I was just expressing a fun and innocuous idea, I didn't think I was going to get tackled from every angle just for shearing an innocent idea.
Sorry for "tackling" you; but your outside the box thinking was more like "I want this custom-made camera, but I'm not prepared to pay for it" If you just want to dream, please, don't assign prices - dreaming is and should be free.
And I believe prices will be a main subject on this forum, after the Photokina's announcements. I'll make sure to have enough popcorn for the show.
09-06-2012, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #638
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know I am wondering off in La La Land here, but wouldn't it be nice if Pentax just striped everything bare and made a FF DSLR in a Honeywell Spotmatic body? No screen or anything, only the FF sensor and the camera body for $600 would be...magical.
Ok, I am back to reality now.
Actually they did that already, less the FF sensor of course

09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #639
mbp

Thank you, Kunzite, for your honest reply. I truly appreciate your thoughts about my post. I am sorry that I did not further explain myself, I tried to edit my last post but I was not allowed to because I am a new member here. With that being said, I must correct you on one matter. I never said I wanted or demanded a custom camera and that I was not ready to pay for it, at least I didn't mean to sound so naive... I merely gave a question; I asked, "wouldn't it be nice if...." as in hoping someone from this forum shares the same desires and dreams as I do, albeit subtly. Again, not demanding.
But I fully agree with you that I should have not assigned a price, I should have left it to the experts, the likes of Alfred Schopf, to assign a price. Lesson learned.
I shall now move on with my life and enjoy shooting my full frame Spotmatic II.
P.S- I got my popcorn stashed and ready to pop. Ok, that was cheesy.

Ashiflex, you sir, just made my day.