Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People convinced they need full frame this year should buy into other already existing systems without regret. You might want to see if these rumors about more full frame cameras from Nikon or Sony come true, first, though. A cheap Nikon D600 will have to be attractive for all you people who have been hanging on the full frame fence for a long time, waiting for the motivation to jump away from Pentax. And a full frame Sony A99 could be pretty cool.

As for me, I'm having fun shooting my FA Limiteds on film. Would I love a Pentax full frame camera? Absolutely! I'd pre-order two the day they announced it. But at this point I don't feel like I need full frame. I'd prefer to get better with what I own first. I might pick up a full frame system next year after the big three show their hands this year.

Whatever happens I think this fall is going to be pretty fun for Pentax users as long as they don't get their hopes up for anything specific. I predict there will be at least one big camera release (likely the APS-C successor to the K-5 but who knows), probably hints of camera releases coming next year, some more lenses for the Q, the K-01 and finally the arrival of the 560 lens, plus an overall sense of where Ricoh wants to take the brand. (Remember, they'll only have owned the brand one year as of next October). This will lead to more stuff in the spring, which is where I'd guess the FF camera would arrive if it does.

Since I'm a Ricoh GXR owner, I'm also anxious to see if they come up with anything cool for that system as well. A K-mount module? Some A16 prime units? A new EVF? The promise of new Ricoh releases is keeping me from buying a lot of these goodies from other companies that were released this year. Like I said, it should be fun

05-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
So that your lenses would autofocus.
Sorry...I don't follow on this one. Are the K10, 20, 200 and stuff all manual focus? I did not know that.
The price still seems rather high. maybe $400 to $500 is probably a better range if they want to attract anybody other than
people already using Pentax.
05-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
I don't see the logic if this K-30 were true. It would mean Pentax is way behind in the market place. This "K-30" will be a market DUD!!!
Why would anybody pay $850.00 for an outdated camera when you can get this for $700.00??? ...Just does not make sense to me.

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera With AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm 25492
Have you yet seen all the specs and performance metrics on the already-outdated K30?
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Why compare with the D3200, the camera has the specs of the D7000 (same sensor, 100% viewfinder, WR body) and that one is going for $1196.95
And we are talking with pentax about the advertised price not the actual sale price.

Would be funny when thee K30 might be on sale for $800, how would the sale men explain the 50% ($400) difference between the K30 and the D7000?

05-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Have you yet seen all the specs and performance metrics on the already-outdated K30?
From what I have seen so far the K-30 specs look similar to the Nikon D5100 which is on the chopping block as far as I know.
The D5100 is being replaced at the same cost point by the 24 MP D3200.

Of course there is no actual confirmation of an actual K-30 being released. but if those specs and prices are true then the K-30
seems to be behind the technology curve.

Last edited by SuperK5; 05-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.
05-18-2012, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

From what I have seen so far the K-30 specs look similar to the Nikon D5100 which is on the chopping block as far as I know.
Which specs?
What we know is 16MP sensor, WR body, 100% viewfinder and dual scroll wheel.
The D3200 has 24MP sensor, non wr body, 95% viewfinder, single scroll wheel

Where does the K30 and the D3200 match I don't see it?
The D5100 has the same sensor but so does the D7000 and the K5, i dont see the conection, why K-30 is the same set as the lower end Nikons?
05-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
ogl
Banned

Of course there is no actual confirmation of an actual K-30 being released. but if those specs and prices are true then the K-30
seems to be behind the technology curve.
If you want cheap MP - D3200 is your choice.

K30 is camera like "D90/D7000 version" from Pentax. Higher class.

05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Now hoping that K3 would match D400 and the 8D
05-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Which specs?
What we know is 16MP sensor, WR body, 100% viewfinder and dual scroll wheel.
The D3200 has 24MP sensor, non wr body, 95% viewfinder, single scroll wheel

Where does the K30 and the D3200 match I don't see it?
The D5100 has the same sensor but so does the D7000 and the K5, i dont see the conection, why K-30 is the same set as the lower end Nikons?
This is where I saw the "specs" for this K-30

Pentax K-30 - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

What I'm trying to point out is that the next generation of medium priced DSLR's seem to be moving to 24 MP sensors. The D3100 and D5100 are now considered old as is the K-r and are all being discontinued very soon. so with the "specs" of the K-30 being pretty much inline with the specs of the D5100 it kinda makes the technology of the K-30 old too before it even gets to market.

If you are new to the DSLR market place why would you pay more money for a camera with less capability. This K-30 seems to be priced higher than at least three cameras that are going out of production(D3100, D5100, K-r). it is even more expensive than a new camera that reportedly has a pretty good sensor, D3200. I just think if this thing is real they have put themselves in a tough place as far as price v.s. performance goes.

EDIT: quick price checks from B&H and Amazon.....all with 18-55mm kit lens.

Pentax K-5 $1,250.00 ( K-5 just for price reference...not comparing to the others tech specs)

Sony A65 $998.00 (24 MP)
Pentax K-30 $850.00??? (16 MP)
Nikon D3200 $700.00 (24 MP)

Nikon D5100 $697.00 (These Three cameras being discontinued very soon)
Nikon D3100 $650.00
Pentax K-r $650.00

That's why the comparison to these others?... because of the similar price class.

Last edited by SuperK5; 05-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
05-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If you want cheap MP - D3200 is your choice.

K30 is camera like "D90/D7000 version" from Pentax. Higher class.
Agreed; anyone can slop together a bunch of megapixels, who cares. A SLR camera is much more than that.
05-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
As for me, I'm having fun shooting my FA Limiteds on film. Would I love a Pentax full frame camera? Absolutely! I'd pre-order two the day they announced it. But at this point I don't feel like I need full frame. I'd prefer to get better with what I own first. I might pick up a full frame system next year after the big three show their hands this year.
The trouble with posting complete nonsense on the internet is that you can easily end up contradicting yourself and making yourself look silly.

So let's get this straight? .... even though you don't feel like you need full frame you nmight "pick up" a full frame system next year.

but WAIT!! ..... if Pentax announced an FF system tomorrow, you would pre order not one but two of them.

Yeah of course you would. Hilarious pile of BS.
05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The trouble with posting complete nonsense on the internet is that you can easily end up contradicting yourself and making yourself look silly.

So let's get this straight? .... even though you don't feel like you need full frame you nmight "pick up" a full frame system next year.

but WAIT!! ..... if Pentax announced an FF system tomorrow, you would pre order not one but two of them.

Yeah of course you would. Hilarious pile of BS.
My goodness, looking for a fight or something?

If I can clarify, I don't need full frame, but I do want it. I can afford it right now, but I'm just waiting for the right time for my needs. Does that sufficiently answer your condescending post?
05-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member

This is where I saw the "specs" for this K-30

Pentax K-30 - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

What I'm trying to point out is that the next generation of medium priced DSLR's seem to be moving to 24 MP sensors. The D3100 and D5100 are now considered old as is the K-r and are all being discontinued very soon. so with the "specs" of the K-30 being pretty much inline with the specs of the D5100 it kinda makes the technology of the K-30 old too before it even gets to market.

If you are new to the DSLR market place why would you pay more money for a camera with less capability. This K-30 seems to be priced higher than at least three cameras that are going out of production(D3100, D5100, K-r). it is even more expensive than a new camera that reportedly has a pretty good sensor, D3200. I just think if this thing is real they have put themselves in a tough place as far as price v.s. performance goes.

EDIT: quick price checks from B&H and Amazon.....all with 18-55mm kit lens.

Pentax K-5 $1,250.00 ( K-5 just for price reference...not comparing to the others tech specs)

Sony A65 $998.00 (24 MP)
Pentax K-30 $850.00 (16 MP)
Nikon D3200 $700.00 (24 MP)

Nikon D5100 $697.00 (These Three cameras being discontinued very soon)
Nikon D3100 $650.00
Pentax K-r $650.00

That's why the comparison to these others... because of the similar price class.
OK, I get it finally. You'd be more comfortable if the new K30 model is priced as if it were in the "about to be discontinued" class. I understand the words but the logic fails me.

To be fair, you're right in that the K30 clearly loses in the pixel race, e.g., offering two fewer MP than even a Canon 1DX. Disappointing. But then the Canon at USD $6,699 is supposed to ship with six fewer MP than the D3200. Will be disappointing for the Canon shooters, I suspect.

But exhausting the list of specs found via your link, we can feel better that the K30, unlike the 1DX, is offered in blue. So we're ahead there again.

It's all so confusing - if one feels a need to come to an immediate conclusion on the market potential of an unannounced camera with unknown characteristics.

I'll think about it on Monday, perhaps.
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Unless Pentax has an entire new lens-lineup hidden up their sleeve a full-frame camera ISNT'T even imaginable! I don't know what the hell any of you are smoking but do you honestly think Pentax would release a full frame camera that is only compatible with the limiteds? Seriously? Let go of this dream.
05-18-2012, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Unless Pentax has an entire new lens-lineup hidden up their sleeve a full-frame camera ISNT'T even imaginable! I don't know what the hell any of you are smoking but do you honestly think Pentax would release a full frame camera that is only compatible with the limiteds? Seriously? Let go of this dream.
You are correct, they would have to make entirely new full frame lenses if they were to release a full frame camera. They've also made new lenses for the Q, the 645D, and the whole DA line so I don't see how making new lenses would be a problem. It's more a question if they think full frame would be a worthwhile investment for them to pursue, and that's a valid question for them to ask. Maybe their conclusion will be it's not worth it. That's certainly been their conclusion in the past.

Personally I would be equally excited if Pentax released a new batch of DA* lenses, with better motors, that would take full advantage of APS-C sensor cameras and the improvements that they would hopefully then put into the K-5 successor. That would also take an investment on their part, so I'm not sure if they'd think it was worth it. That's why I think it will be an interesting end of the year, they could really go a lot of different directions, and I'm excited to see where they'll go.