Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Personally I would be equally excited if Pentax released a new batch of DA* lenses
Ditto! Ditto! F'****** Ditto!!!!!!!!!

05-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Unless Pentax has an entire new lens-lineup hidden up their sleeve a full-frame camera ISNT'T even imaginable! I don't know what the hell any of you are smoking but do you honestly think Pentax would release a full frame camera that is only compatible with the limiteds? Seriously? Let go of this dream.

They need a 12-24 and a 24-75 for a fairly complete lineup. Gun to my head, I'd guess that the 12-24 that's been announced on the lens map is not FF compatible and the 24-75 that's on the lens map is FF.

After that I'd like a 24mm... although with the 31mm already there a 18 or 20mm probably makes more sense.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-current...me-lenses.html
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
OK, I get it finally. You'd be more comfortable if the new K30 model is priced as if it were in the "about to be discontinued" class. I understand the words but the logic fails me.

To be fair, you're right in that the K30 clearly loses in the pixel race, e.g., offering two fewer MP than even a Canon 1DX. Disappointing. But then the Canon at USD $6,699 is supposed to ship with six fewer MP than the D3200. Will be disappointing for the Canon shooters, I suspect.

But exhausting the list of specs found via your link, we can feel better that the K30, unlike the 1DX, is offered in blue. So we're ahead there again.

It's all so confusing - if one feels a need to come to an immediate conclusion on the market potential of an unannounced camera with unknown characteristics.

I'll think about it on Monday, perhaps.
This is my super short it's Friday night and time to have a few beers response. I think in the end it's all about price. If they get the price right they will succeed, If they get it wrong they will fail. In the blurd about this phantom K-30 they said it was an "Entry Level" camera....so in my mind they are probably trying to compete against cameras like the low end Nikon's and maybe the Cannon Rebel series. So it's all about attracting that particular market segment.

Now having said that...if they were actually going to put in a 24 MP sensor that sub $1K price would make a whole lot more sense. You gotta admit this alleged K-30 does look pretty cool!!!
05-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless Pentax has an entire new lens-lineup hidden up their sleeve a full-frame camera ISNT'T even imaginable! I don't know what the hell any of you are smoking but do you honestly think Pentax would release a full frame camera that is only compatible with the limiteds? Seriously? Let go of this dream.
How many lenses were available new for the 645D when it was released? Now, I know the market for the 645D was always going to be much more limited than that of a 35mm FF camera, but it's also a much greater investment, of the order of 4-5 times more. Having only two lenses available for the Fuji X-Pro 1 at launch doesn't seem to have hampered its sales.

Pentax has many good FA lens designs that would probably require a little reworking to suit digital, like the need for a better anti-reflection coating on their rear element, and to bring the styling into line with the contemporary range.

I think the availability of a current lens line is a bit of a furphy, frankly. Early adopters are likely to be people with a lot of good legacy glass, or those whose needs are filled by the current range. The roll-out of new or refreshed lenses can be scheduled to suit the most pressing gaps, like a new 20, a short and a long zoom, with others to follow. The early and late majority will buy in as the range grows.

05-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree they need to offer more full frame lenses, but let's get this correct. From my memory the full frame compatible lenses in the current line up are at least:

FA 31ltd
DA 40ltd (yes, it covers full frame, it is not as simple as that DA=APSC and FA/DFA=FF)
FA 43ltd
FA 50
DFA 50 macro
FA 77ltd
DFA100 macro
DA* 200
DA* 300
Some of the last FA zoom's also exist in stock in Japan. I checked with a camera shop here that I could order the FA20-35 from Japan.

Does the DA35/2.4 cover full frame? It's original lens design the FA35/2.0 does.
Does anyone know if new 50mm and the 560mm cover FF. I suppose no one will until we get one and can test it.
If you really want to know what current lenses cover full frame you should dig up the gigantic thread falcon & Co were running ~2 years ago, where they tested all current lenses on film bodies to see if they covered full frame.

The way I see it, they need to offer some wider prime than 31, two if they can manage, a fish eye, something longer than 300 and three full frame some, wide-angle zoom, normal-zoom, tele-zoom. Preferably two of the later two, one of them f2.8.
But it is not as if they need to develop these lenses. They already have all these designs. New coatings, some WR etc, and that's it. If this is what Pentax-Ricoh is preparing, the crucial thing is to make room for more production-lines. And from what we know, Ricoh could have started that work from the first day they took over.

Do we have any Vietnam member who could get to the Pentax factory and figure out if they are expanding the plant?

I'm not usually the FF advocate here, but right should be right.

I only want to add:

"Praeterea censeo SMC Pentax-FA 200mm f4 macro 1:1 esse fabricari iterum!"
05-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
How many lenses were available new for the 645D when it was released? (...)
Around fifteen.
05-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I agree they need to offer more full frame lenses, but let's get this correct. From my memory the full frame compatible lenses in the current line up are at least:

FA 31ltd
DA 40ltd (yes, it covers full frame, it is not as simple as that DA=APSC and FA/DFA=FF)
FA 43ltd
FA 50
DFA 50 macro
FA 77ltd
DFA100 macro
DA* 200
DA* 300
Some of the last FA zoom's also exist in stock in Japan. I checked with a camera shop here that I could order the FA20-35 from Japan.

Does the DA35/2.4 cover full frame? It's original lens design the FA35/2.0 does.
Does anyone know if new 50mm and the 560mm cover FF. I suppose no one will until we get one and can test it.
If you really want to know what current lenses cover full frame you should dig up the gigantic thread falcon & Co were running ~2 years ago, where they tested all current lenses on film bodies to see if they covered full frame.

The way I see it, they need to offer some wider prime than 31, two if they can manage, a fish eye, something longer than 300 and three full frame some, wide-angle zoom, normal-zoom, tele-zoom. Preferably two of the later two, one of them f2.8.
But it is not as if they need to develop these lenses. They already have all these designs. New coatings, some WR etc, and that's it. If this is what Pentax-Ricoh is preparing, the crucial thing is to make room for more production-lines. And from what we know, Ricoh could have started that work from the first day they took over.

Do we have any Vietnam member who could get to the Pentax factory and figure out if they are expanding the plant?

I'm not usually the FF advocate here, but right should be right.

I only want to add:

"Praeterea censeo SMC Pentax-FA 200mm f4 macro 1:1 esse fabricari iterum!"
Dont forget the DA*55 f/1.4 which is a confirmed FF lens

05-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Around fifteen.
I should have been more explicit, but you're right. There were, I believe, only two that were tailored for the digital sensor, though the others were clearly usable, as their image circle was greater than needed.
05-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #69
Veteran Member

DA70 covers FF as well
05-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #70

everyone goes on about the nikon 3200 but frankly other than the MP its still just a basic dslr and sorry but who other than profressional photographers who are planning on printing billboard sized images needs 24mp all that will do is make editing shots a freaking nightmare on anything but a beast of a computer - and those professional photographers aren't going to buy the 3200

now to ff and lenses - well got the ltd primes - personally i would think most pressing would be the 24-70mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8 those two lenses and the primes would make the system viable launch platform - and i belive several of the da lenses work on full frame too anyway - pretty sure i put my 60-250mm on old film camera body and was fine through out the entire zoom range - though i didn't actually take any pictures not seen a roll of film in years =)
05-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #71
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
If you are new to the DSLR market place why would you pay more money for a camera with less capability.
Less capability? Take a careful look at the D3200 pics posted by imaging-resources in their comparometer section, and download them on your PC. Then download the corresponding pics (same ISO--say, 400, 800, and 1600l same kind of frame) taken with K-x and K-5. Compare.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You might also want to examine the details of the official Nikon D3200 pics, especially the landscape photo. Make it 'original size':
Official set: Nikon D3200 - a set on Flickr
Landscape pic: D3200_2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, look at the white areas of the D3200 pics in dprv's comparometer. (And read this to see what to look for: Proof in the pictures: Nikon D3200 is very bad at high ISO - National Photography | Examiner.com)

An informed buyer doesn't just go with the highest no. of mp.
05-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
They need a 12-24 and a 24-75 for a fairly complete lineup. Gun to my head, I'd guess that the 12-24 that's been announced on the lens map is not FF compatible and the 24-75 that's on the lens map is FF.
There is no 24-75 on the roadmap....
No FF lenses either...
05-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There is no 24-75 on the roadmap....
No FF lenses either...

I do not really expect Pentax to release a FF, at least any time soon. However, if they were getting a FF camera ready, I do not think they would put any corresponding FF lenses on the roadmap, either.
05-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Google Earth - Overhead Imagery....

Pentax has about 5 locations around Hanoi