Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I think that argument applies to most tele lenses from about 100mm, so for the same reason the DA200 and DA300 are full frame compatible (in difference to the list in the link you give where they don't seam to believe that the 200mm is FF).
That's actually my list. I only counted lenses that are described as full-frame lenses. I included a few others that are full frame capable.

Personally I'm worried that If Pentax offered a DX/FX mode, some of these lenses might be inappropriately cropped.

05-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That's actually my list. I only counted lenses that are described as full-frame lenses. I included a few others that are full frame capable.

Personally I'm worried that If Pentax offered a DX/FX mode, some of these lenses might be inappropriately cropped.
Only a risk it its an auto crop mode vs. a manual control. However, the firmware should also be able to deal with this.
05-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karlito Quote
does the k5n have avchd video format, and multiple framerate??? i hate mpeg 4 with 25p!!!
AVCHD is very limited, meaning it wont yield as much details with the 28 Mbit/s limit for example...
It will be AVI with h.264 codec most likely, Pentax are using that now with the Q and the K-01

And for your information AVCHD uses mpeg4 or h.264 as codec

Last edited by Anvh; 05-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
05-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Only a risk it its an auto crop mode vs. a manual control. However, the firmware should also be able to deal with this.
It would surely default to auto-crop, with an option to manually override (ie 'turn off' crop mode.)

To do anything else would be silly and be different (and worse) than the way Nikon does it. Especially for Pentax, which has several DA lenses that are 90-99% FF-capable.

05-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It would surely default to auto-crop, with an option to manually override (ie 'turn off' crop mode.)

To do anything else would be silly and be different (and worse) than the way Nikon does it. Especially for Pentax, which has several DA lenses that are 90-99% FF-capable.
But Pentax has a problem, they have DFA that work on fullframe and DA that wont work on fullframe, they are clear in that so they now are stuck with it.
They can't make a list with DA that will work and DA that wont work or rename lenses.
So if Pentax is coming with FF camera then this is a big mistake from pentax part, they need to make new lenses for it or it will be market nightmare.
05-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
They can't make a list with DA that will work and DA that wont work or rename lenses.
I agree with you that it's a marketing nightmare. However I think the people who would be purchasing a full-frame camera would be willing and capable to consult a list to see which of the legacy lenses will be 'good' to an 'X' image circle at full aperture.

It's not the best thing in the world, and it will be confusing. And yes, pentax can and should rename some lenses from DA to DFA.

As long as they allow us to override an autocrop feature, I'm OK with it.
05-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There is no 24-75 on the roadmap....
No FF lenses either...
We'll find out. IMO there is a FF 24-75 on the roadmap.

05-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Those focal lengths are highly speculative. We don't know how to interpret the fadeout at each end. These look like 12-28 and 16-85 to me.
Indeed, they are speculative. However there are some reports of a 12-24 patent pending in japan. Unfortunately those same reports reference the patent as covering an APS-C sensor.
05-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #129
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But Pentax has a problem, they have DFA that work on fullframe and DA that wont work on fullframe, they are clear in that so they now are stuck with it.
So if Pentax is coming with FF camera then this is a big mistake from pentax part, they need to make new lenses for it or it will be market nightmare.
Actually, the camera can recognize the lens. Where do you think the EXIF data comes from? Plus, D FA (not the space in between?) and DA are completely different series lenses. The D FA series are all full frame and 2 of them have aperture rings. Pentax won't have to do a 'new' line of lenses for full frame any more than Canon or Nikon did. Besides, the 5 of the FA series is still in production.

Edit: BTW, some of the DA will work on full frame. DA 40, DA* 55/1.4 and a few others.
05-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I agree with you that it's a marketing nightmare. However I think the people who would be purchasing a full-frame camera would be willing and capable to consult a list to see which of the legacy lenses will be 'good' to an 'X' image circle at full aperture.

It's not the best thing in the world, and it will be confusing. And yes, pentax can and should rename some lenses from DA to DFA.

As long as they allow us to override an autocrop feature, I'm OK with it.
But you agree that the lenses arent marketable that way sadly, there needs to come a new line however way you turn it.
05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, the camera can recognize the lens. Where do you think the EXIF data comes from? Plus, D FA (not the space in between?) and DA are completely different series lenses. The D FA series are all full frame and 2 of them have aperture rings. Pentax won't have to do a 'new' line of lenses for full frame any more than Canon or Nikon did. Besides, the 5 of the FA series is still in production.

Edit: BTW, some of the DA will work on full frame. DA 40, DA* 55/1.4 and a few others.
They can, will the viewfinder be cropped as well automaticly or will it be a surprise whenever you put a lens on the camera how it will be cropped?
they are basicly stuck with 2 crops, ASP-C and FF or things will get confusing, or they need to go for an electronic viewfinder.

And yes Pentax need to make DFA lenses for an FF camera.
FF camera will be aimed at more professional users most of them don't want or have the time to search on EBAY to find the lens they need, so a good lens line needs to be there with the basic lenses will a FF be a success.
And like i already said, yes the DA*200mm also work great on FF for example but Pentax clearly marketed as DA not as DFA meaning pentax is saying it wont work on FF so there is no way they can market a DA lens as FF lens, it will be highly confusing and a marketing nightmare. Only thing they can do is reintroduce the lens as DFA.
I a list of DA lenses that work or not work might be useful for the transaction but it's not the way to go on with, there needs to be a clear line.
Nikon and Canon has that clear line for example.

And great 5 FA lenses and 2 DFA, good thing is 5 of those are very good prime lenses so that's covered but in this age there needs to be a good zoom, at least 28-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lens to begin with for a "professional" camera like and FF, new lenses simply need to be made and need to be ready at launch.
Without the lenses there is no reason to get such a camera, it's as simple as that.
05-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Pentax FF has far more lenses than Fuji.
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #133
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another way of putting it: how many people here would buy a FF camera with the current lineup of lenses? With future plans for FF compatible lenses, it can only look up for that notion.
05-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #134
Veteran Member

The thing concerning me is that the K-30 will have 16 MP- (not that that is too little, I'd be fine with a 6MP ist) but other cameras in its class are coming out with 24 and are in the same price range.

Try telling someone who is new to photography and looking at an entry level DSLR that MP doesn't matter... of course most are going to want to go to the more-known camera brand that has more MP. I know it took me awhile to learn that it is the photographer- not the camera that matters.
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #135

The thing with MP is that if you have a sensor that can get away with having more without introducing noise, then the higher MP sensor is in fact, better since you have more pixels and can crop more aggressively and get away with it.

This is actually one of the reasons I give the D800 the crown vs the MkIII. They both are neck and neck in terms of performance, but wait, one has more pixels? Cropping to zoom, recomposing in post, these are much more doable with a higher resolution.

Indeed, it isn't the only thing, and Pentax knows how to eek out great performance, but lets not have sensors running around with twice the resolution out there... that's too big of a gap.