Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Copy Nikon
Good base for business plan once Pentax DNA is added.
They also need a reworked flash system.
See above.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.
05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #332
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
If Pentax produce an FF camera, I hope they produce one which folks can use as well as and not instead of the Canonikon offerings. If Pentax try simply to copy Canonikon, then it's very hard to see anyone buying it other than a few existing Pentax users. Something more like a rangefinder or a smaller 645D, perhaps, maybe with interchangeable backs or viewfinders. As various posts have suggested, copying Canonikon's DSLRs means a huge amount of work and expense given the number of new lenses and other stuff which would need to be ready from the get-go. A new mount for this camera might also get round the problem of the Pentax old guard not wanting to spend any money because they have so many film-era lenses already. Whatever FF appears, if any, I just don't see how Pentax could afford to make it cut-price. They would need income from lenses as well as or perhaps more so than from bodies.
Nikon didn't ditch their base and have used evolved version over years of their bayonet mount for 48+ years. What you are talking about by going to a new mount will go ahead and push the folks that have both Nikon (or Canon) full frame and Pentax APS-c and or film completely the other direction. 'Legacy' has been Pentax's hall mark and that is where a lot of their loyal base comes in. At a 5% dSLR market share, they better think hard about throwing us under the damn bus.
05-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aristophane said it right, i think, about the lens.

Monochrome is right too, about the flash system.

I would just ad few words to the idea : Pentax do WR DSLR, i don't know for you, but this mean outdoor and somehow sports like running, biking, climbing, trail ... So a better speed sync like 1/250 would be absolutely necessary.

The other thing is, i think, a WR flash. what's the use to have a DSLR that can handle rain and mud, if the flash can't ?!

The current flash lineup should be rebuild better and more reliable. If it can be cheaper, that's even better.

Pentax say "if we do a FF, it must be different". Here is the main idea : build a WR lineup.
05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
A new mount for this camera might also get round the problem of the Pentax old guard not wanting to spend any money because they have so many film-era lenses already.
Or, it might result in the old guard thinking, "I can't use my K-mount lenses on this thing? Screw it, I might as well buy Nikon."

05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Or, it might result in the old guard thinking, "I can't use my K-mount lenses on this thing? Screw it, I might as well buy Nikon."
this is by far the more likely thing (they may opt canon as well so they can use their pentax glass
05-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The K-01 ended speculation about a new APS-C or FF mount. not from Ricoh. They bought Pentax for the K-mount.
05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's intermittently in stock which means it's more likely NOS or warranty set aside than in continuous production in the world of APS-C.

Ideally it should be re-packaged and made WR to meet the D FA 100 WR spec. Gotta figure out where this and the DA*55 stand. The Pentax 50ish line is the model of confusion and styles making purpose-driven consumer decisions hard.

And the FA 50/1.4 should get the same re-packaging (WR not necessary).

05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this is by far the more likely thing (they may opt canon as well so they can use their pentax glass
Preciesly, the option is there already for years.
You can use FA and other FF lenses on canon FF camera you will only miss the AF and auto aperture.

If pentax comes with a new mount then they will sure make an adapter so that all functions are transfered, and that will be the reason to stay with Pentax.
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's intermittently in stock which means it's more likely NOS or warranty set aside than in continuous production in the world of APS-C.

Ideally it should be re-packaged and made WR to meet the D FA 100 WR spec. Gotta figure out where this and the DA*55 stand. The Pentax 50ish line is the model of confusion and styles making purpose-driven consumer decisions hard.

Hmmmmm. . . . .

I wonder what all those lens engineers reportedly re-hired last December are doing with all their time?
05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can use FA and other FF lenses on canon FF camera you will only miss the AF and auto aperture
Which 99% of consumers use.

Who cares if Canon users try some Pentax glass? It's market imperceptible in terms of being a sales driver. I wouldn't waste a second of productivity following a flea of a market.

Adapters are kludges, especially if they take away functionality.

I've been trying out a Fuji X-Pro 1 lately and honestly, I'm not really all that impressed. The AF is dead dog slow and the IQ is no better than any other sensor on the market. So what if Fuji has an m-mount adapter announced today? It's not going to improve either and the sensor's mediocrity + manual focus + Leica lens prices is just window dressing. Adapters can be a fun distraction, but realistically you cannot build a market around them, despite Ricoh's attempts. It's not really working save as a tiny niche. And it is precisely because Pentax is a niche that we bemoan the lack of FF and lens variety.
05-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #341

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmmmmm. . . . .

I wonder what all those lens engineers reportedly re-hired last December are doing with all their time?
true ...
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #342
Veteran Member

So what if Fuji has an m-mount adapter announced today?
Ricoh is one of the few that have good corner sharpens with their M-mount, i doubt the fuji will be as good.

QuoteQuote:
Which 99% of consumers use.
mhmm, it's that most Pentax user that i hear complaining are often old time users and they say that their old lenses aren't the same on APS-C as on FF, if they have a collection of A lenses then there is no reason for them to stick with Pentax camera.

Anyone that really need a FF already went over to Nikon or Canon anyway, there is no rush for pentax anymore to come out with an FF it wouldn't matter.

Last edited by Anvh; 05-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.
05-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #343
Veteran Member

It's intermittently in stock
Really? It's always been there (the admittedly few) times I've looked for it.
05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #344
Site Supporter

The one bad thing about the repackaging was the loss of the aperture ring. However, the D FA macro lenses were designed in the digital era.

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX smc P-D FA 50mm F2.8 macro is designed specifically for digital cameras. It utilizes curvature and positioning of optical elements to virtually eliminate flare and ghosting for clear, high-quality images particularly important to digital photography. This versatile lens can also be used as a telephoto lens and features our acclaimed multi-layer coating to lower surface reflection, reduce ultraviolet rays, and deliver clear, high-contrast images.
I also don't think current stock is necessarily NOS. It isn't like Pentax has an assembly line going 24/7 year round for a specific lens. Plus, it is continuously listed at Pentax Imaging and BH and Adorama. The run out of all lenses temporarily. The above quote came from the Pentax Imaging site.
05-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

I also don't think current stock is necessarily NOS. It isn't like Pentax has an assembly line going 24/7 year round for a specific lens. Plus, it is continuously listed at Pentax Imaging and BH and Adorama. The run out of all lenses temporarily. The above quote came from the Pentax Imaging site.
In fact I believe they do the lenses in larger runs and some can take quite a while to sell through, others sell through rapidly and are allocated more line time. When they do sell through faster than forecast you end up with longer stock outs due to the wait for the next run. this has happened on a few lenses. hopefully they are also in the process of expanding the lens plant to accommodate more volume