Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well.... if they can make an FF with a special mount that is highly adaptiable to other mounts i don't see it as something negative.
It only makes going from Nikon or Cannon to Pentax FF easier if you can keep using the lenses you have without much limitations.
If they were going to go that route then they should do it in the GXR. In Pentax they should do what they already do build a solid well featured well built DSLR that is compact. that is their distinguishing factor. In the K7 it was recognized by Nikon just look at the D7000 response next model generation. When the big guys copy you you have done something right. they need to do the same in FF. make a camera the FF guys see as a threat on some level

05-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
No one makes any money making bodies only so people can migrate amongst mounts with lens adapters.
Olympus and Panasonic do. That's one of the attractions of M43, and it certainly sells people on the system. Proof is in the Rangefinder forums, where people buy these systems (and Ricoh) only to retrofit their Leica, Voigtlander, etc. lenses. It can be argued that this was a driving factor in Olympus adopting the PEN styling for their digital bodies. Looks a lot more like a rangefinder that way.

The fact is that Pentax is stuck with the k-mount, a mount that gives them no competitive advantage. Their cameras can't even meter properly. And it forces them into lame systems like the K-01, which is too big and restricted in appeal (compatible with one lens mount) to compete with M43 (compatible with every lens mount in existence).

They would be smarter to leverage their skills in optics into making items like the Limited primes for other mounts. Had they done this out of the gate for M43 they would have absolutely scooped the pent-up demand that Olympus is only years later filling with their fast 45mm and 75mm optics. Sounds uncannily like an FA 43 Limited and FA 77 Limited to me!
05-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #363
Pentaxian

OK, if for a camera company having a mount gives them no competitive advantage and is lame, how do you call not having their own mount?
It would be beyond stupid, to give up on their own mount - lowering themselves to the same level as Samyang and giving up on their identity just to keep few m4/3 owners happy.
05-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #364

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
. Their cameras can't even meter properly.
What cameras are you talking about? I've never had any trouble metering.

05-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
What cameras are you talking about? I've never had any trouble metering.
with manual lenses there can be metering issues (particularly m42 when you stop down) Lowell Goudge has done some detailed tests. that being said I don't find the metering any major issue myself
I believe the m 4/3 stuff does meter old lenses more accurately
05-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well this is all encouraaging.

My only questions are whether I should
  1. Sell everything Pentax I own while selling is possible and quit photography altogether
  2. Sell everything Pentax I own while selling is possible and buy a Nokia 808
  3. Sell everything Pentax I own while selling is possible and keep my Olympus XA since they are the future
  4. [EDIT per Aristophanes below:] Sell everything Pentax digital I own while selling is still possible.
    1. Use my K lenses, KX and LX until film dies, Eric dies or I die, whichever comes first.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-25-2012 at 09:14 AM.
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #367
Pentaxian

All of the above

Very informative, last posts. I've found that Pentax should give up on its future because it can't meter properly with lenses using a mount discontinued some 40 years ago. Amazingly, that mount is considered more future-proof than the K-mount...

05-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

1. Sell everything Pentax I own while selling is possible and quit photography altogether
  3. Sell everything Pentax I own while selling is possible and keep my Olympus XA since they are the future
LOL don't get me wrong, I love my Pentax gear if i sold stuff to get the Nikon it would be other things first that i don't use enough. I could fund it while still keeping a pretty good Pentax kit with 1 body. Same way i would fund a FF Pentax when it comes down to it. thingh is if Pentax doesn't make an announcement the D600 will look ridiculously tempting to many people (hell it will tempt Canon and Sony people as well, and probably m4/3 users even)
05-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

None.

Be a man.

Back to film.
05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait, cameras can meter?! But wouldn't such a reading be a reflected reading? Why, you'd be at the mercy of your subject's color and sheen. And what about the background? If the background were light, and you had a dark subject, wouldn't that throw your meter off? Or a light subject against a dark background? Thanks, but I'll stick to my sekonic.
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #371
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Wait, cameras can meter?! But wouldn't such a reading be a reflected reading? Why, you'd be at the mercy of your subject's color and sheen. And what about the background? If the background were light, and you had a dark subject, wouldn't that throw your meter off? Or a light subject against a dark background? Thanks, but I'll stick to my sekonic.
which is great until you need to get a reading off a lion, or crocodile or cliff.... then taking an incident reading can lead to ...well... an incident! lol!
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #372
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
thingh is if Pentax doesn't make an announcement the D600 will look ridiculously tempting to many people
indeed.
05-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #373

Fair enough, I've never had any issues metering with manual lenses on any of my Pentax cameras (K10D, K20D, K-7), guess I got lucky.
05-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #374
Forum Member

Nor I. If I'm concerned, I'll auto-bracket, but I've never had an issue with exposure.
05-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OK, if for a camera company having a mount gives them no competitive advantage and is lame, how do you call not having their own mount?
It would be beyond stupid, to give up on their own mount - lowering themselves to the same level as Samyang and giving up on their identity just to keep few m4/3 owners happy.
Who is talking about giving up?

If your mount is the limitation to compete with other brands then why on earth would you hang on to it, the longer you hang on to it the further back you get.

If Pentax decide to stay with APS-C i don't see why it would be negative to make a mount specially designed for APS-C, it's only beneficial in the future and with a mount design for APS-C they can actually compete with the FF market better with the APS-C solution.
Surely they also make a good working adapter so you can use your K-mount lenses without restriction, so your K lenses won't become useless.

Pentax also hang on to long with the m42 mount, that didnt do them any good either right....