Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
monochrome, the issue is most of those bright idea are pretty much suicidal. Since Pentax survived for so long, I bet they know how to avoid committing suicide
Folks, internet discussions just don't work. You have to hear the tone to get the message.

05-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #392
mee
Veteran Member

So is there a general consensus on the K5n? It seems the K30 is awfully similar to the K5 to the point where I don't see a place for the K5 (or an updated model) in the product lineup... or well.. enough differences to warrant that place.

And if it is updated what changes to make it more unique from K30 but not having it cost an arm and a leg (which I suspect K3 will cost, comparative to K30) ?
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #393
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Lol, everyone here has vast answers ...

My example of the limitations of a mount is the K-01. I have not yet heard one personal claim it is a commercial success, although it sounds an excellent camera and has certainly got Pentax a lot of publicity. But the compromises inherent in using a big old mount on MILC seem to have nixed any sales. Now the advent of the K30 is likely to finish the job.

Personally I would not be fazed if Pentax produced an FF camera - but not a standard-issue dSLR one - which requires a new mount. A bit of a shake-up might be no bad thing if it is pitched to attract users new to Pentax, and in my case I have no FF lenses worth the name bar an old manual one so I would need to buy new ones anyway. I can hear the gasps of horror already ... but were this to happen I would guess it would be as a Ricoh camera, with an adapter for Pentax lenses.

The irony with your post is that if there is one weakness of the k-mount, it is slightly too small in diameter to allow an 85/1.2 lens to be designed. Here you are calling it a big old mount. Hysterical
05-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The irony with your post is that if there is one weakness of the k-mount, it is slightly too small in diameter to allow an 85/1.2 lens to be designed. Here you are calling it a big old mount. :Hysterical:
I've always wondered if something like titanium in the barrel construction might allow for thinner walls on a lens and make such a lens possible. It seems like if they can make a 600 f/4 which has a 150mm aperture, something like an 85 f/1.2, which only has a 70mm opening should be possible. Maybe there's more room for elements to correct aberration in the 600, I don't entirely understand the physics of it.

05-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #395
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The irony with your post is that if there is one weakness of the k-mount, it is slightly too small in diameter to allow an 85/1.2 lens to be designed. Here you are calling it a big old mount. :Hysterical:
Lol, you guys: even a little gentle teasing is too much. In the meantime, tell me where the K-01 is on the list of the best-selling compact system cameras on your local Amazon. Unless someone thinks that a 5% market share is as good as it is ever going to get, the question is how to grow: what is going to draw those new to Pentax to a Pentax camera. My point is that "Anything you like providing it is K-mount" isn't necessarily the answer. Clearly it will be in some circumstances but not all, as the tale of the K-01 suggests. There's really nothing wrong with looking at a few what-ifs.

Last edited by mecrox; 05-25-2012 at 11:44 PM.
05-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #396
Inactive Account

No matter what is being said. One thing is certain i believe, the next flagship APS-C will most def go up against the future entry level FF's that seem to be coming.
If i know Pentax right, they will not settle for less than that..... They did it with K-5 and will do it again. Many long time FF users switched or got dual systems because of the K-5.

It will happen (imho) and they will probably start with FF after that. They have to prepare dedicated and new FF zooms first to bundle.
05-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #397
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
So is there a general consensus on the K5n? It seems the K30 is awfully similar to the K5 to the point where I don't see a place for the K5 (or an updated model) in the product lineup... or well.. enough differences to warrant that place.

And if it is updated what changes to make it more unique from K30 but not having it cost an arm and a leg (which I suspect K3 will cost, comparative to K30) ?
Consensus on this forum?

Well I believe that there is room for an upgraded K-5. So if that would be a K-5n (16mp sensor and just new AF and electronics in the same body) that would be a small but logical step. There are people who want that and even sell their K-5 to upgrade to K-5n.

Next to that there is also room for a topmodel (lets call that K-3). I hope they put in a more advanced chip then is in K-30/K-01 that is faster (dual core?) and can do some more tricks (like supporting USB 3.0, HDMI-out during filming and faster processing). This new electronic system can also be used in a future Full Frame and 645D upgrade camera. I still would like to see in APS-C the same 16 megapixel sensor. Electronics are expensive, so this would make the K-3 more expensive then K-5n, but also more of a sports/action-camera (maybe even more channel read-out on the sensor to get a faster fps up to 8fps or so).

05-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #398

Hi, Greetings from Turkey!

when will a new k5 version come out?

Last edited by Mourners; 05-26-2012 at 02:59 AM.
05-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #399

september/october i think, for the Photokina
05-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I've always wondered if something like titanium in the barrel construction might allow for thinner walls on a lens and make such a lens possible. It seems like if they can make a 600 f/4 which has a 150mm aperture, something like an 85 f/1.2, which only has a 70mm opening should be possible. Maybe there's more room for elements to correct aberration in the 600, I don't entirely understand the physics of it.
The walls aren't a problem, it's the mount fitting that is the limit.
They need to make a large diameter mount but everyone here finds that a bad idea it seems
05-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #401
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mourners Quote
Hi, Greetings from Turkey!

When will the new one k-5?
LOL is it you from PentaxTurk forum? You might consider, removing it or changing this post to something content wise meaningful...

Last edited by cbaytan; 05-26-2012 at 03:14 AM.
05-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #402
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is room for the new K5, at least because the burst rate of the K30 is high but can't shoot a lot of Raw frame before slowing down.
On that point the K5 and its remplacement is/will be better.

Maybe the new K5 will have a better/different AF sensor.

And, we can dream, an uncrippled mount
05-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #403

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
september/october i think, for the Photokina
thanks
05-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The walls aren't a problem, it's the mount fitting that is the limit.
They need to make a large diameter mount but everyone here finds that a bad idea it seems
OK, how about a body with a 645 mount and a FF sensor? Offer it with a K-mount adapter.

I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but it's worth exploring some "crazy" ideas sometimes.
05-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
OK, how about a body with a 645 mount and a FF sensor? Offer it with a K-mount adapter.

I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but it's worth exploring some "crazy" ideas sometimes.
What's the advantage off that?

The 645 mount is huge and there are K to 645 adapters so there is no need at all for it....
Besides that K mount lenses are easier and cheaper then 645 lenses.