Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #601
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
Something that makes your camera more expensive and fragile, but no one really needs.
You can speak authoritatively for all of us? Never mind, I'm certain you were being rhetorical. Or intended to put a cat amongst the pigeons ....

09-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
You can speak authoritatively for all of us? Never mind, I'm certain you were being rhetorical. Or intended to put a cat amongst the pigeons ....
at least he can speak for me too... I have the same experience as at least on other member here: My K-5 and other Pentax DSLR's have survived bumps and drops that for sure would have killed the articulating thingy, especially when extended (but even tucked in it will be less rugged than a fixed screen).

IF they do market a camera with an articulating screen, I hope some ducttape is also provided in the box as it will be the first thing I will use..
Although maybe there wont be a K-3 with articulaitng screen and it will merely be the one change on the K-5n. Please don't ask me my "n" should represent "articulating screen" but less logical things have happened in cameraland.

By the way, weren't there supposed to be newsflashes and announcements by this time?
09-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #603
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So someone "asks" about something to "set up a debate". Nah, I don't think it'll be necessary to talk about something in that manner... forums debates and stuff like that, best come in their natural form... this isn't a TV show anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
By the way, weren't there supposed to be newsflashes and announcements by this time?
Well, it's only the first week of September - somewhat the calm before the storm. Every manufacturer is probably checking up last bits of readying up what details can be released publicly, each making sure the company's newsbit is longer and attracts every news/publicity arm with clear interest. I do hope Pentax has enough guns and ammo this time around, as the K-5 practically took the market by storm in 2010; and somehow not received very well with the Q and K-01 (K-30 was positively received, good news!)
09-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Well, it's only the first week of September - somewhat the calm before the storm.
I realize that but iirc last week some people were quite sure that this monday was the first day of coming announcements by Pentax (and others)

09-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I realize that but iirc last week some people were quite sure that this monday was the first day of coming announcements by Pentax (and others)
Not all rumours have substance.
I had wished for an announcement, too.
09-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #606
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's too close to the X-5 announcement, now. If they're going to announce anything else before Photokina, my guess is that it will be late this week or early next week. If the rumours of four new cameras are correct, then this would make two prior to, and two at Photokina. If (that's three "ifs" in a row) I was a betting man, my money would be on a revised 645D as the next one (but I'm not, so no takers, please).
09-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #607
Veteran Member

I don't see how announcing an X-5 is mutually exclusive of a serious DSLR announcement frankly. I can't wait for PK if for no reason other than to just get rid if this forum predictathon.

09-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #608
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I can't wait for PK if for no reason other than to just get rid if this forum predictathon.
Hah, and what if they announce a spring '13 FF release without divulging any specs? Then we'll have another half a year of predictions and doomsayings :-)
09-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #609
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hah, and what if they announce a spring '13 FF release without divulging any specs? Then we'll have another half a year of predictions and doomsayings :-)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
09-03-2012, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #610
Veteran Member

Okay here's my prediction for that:

6MP FF sensor
No SR
0.25 FPS
No liveview
SAFOX VII 3 AF points

Slogan: Here it is, you've asked for it, now go buy it.
09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Okay here's my prediction for that:

6MP FF sensor
No SR
0.25 FPS
No liveview
SAFOX VII 3 AF points

Slogan: Here it is, you've asked for it, now go buy it.
Double that MP count and I would by it.
No SR? No problem
.25 FPS? Hell, if I shoot 8 SPF I'm cookin'
No liveview? Awesome, I think I'm in love!! Can you take out the video too?
3 AF points? I've seen the light, and it's called a split prism.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-03-2012 at 07:54 PM.
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
6MP FF sensor
No SR
0.25 FPS
No liveview
Sounds like a K1000 - so long as the shutter was manually cocked
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #613
Pentaxian

Be careful of what you ask for.
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #614

QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
Something that makes your camera more expensive and fragile, but no one really needs.
I had an articulating screen on a Canon S3is and have to say i loved using it. While I appreciate the argument that it is fragile, and makes weatherproofing more difficult, there were many times that it came in very handy. Not just for getting shots at unusual angles, either. At one point, we were in a historical site in Vietnam where photography was banned (they wanted to make everyone buy the postcards they were selling), and with the articulating screen, I was able to hold the camera at waist level, pointed up to the ceiling with the screen flipped over so I could just look down and get a really cool shot of the demons painted on the ceiling. The guards had no idea and I got my shot.
09-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
I had an articulating screen on a Canon S3is and have to say i loved using it. While I appreciate the argument that it is fragile, and makes weatherproofing more difficult, there were many times that it came in very handy. Not just for getting shots at unusual angles, either.
Just holding it above (or below) your head makes for nice surprises. Besides doing it like that allows for fast shooting instead of trying to make sense of what is on the LCD...

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
At one point, we were in a historical site in Vietnam where photography was banned (they wanted to make everyone buy the postcards they were selling), and with the articulating screen, I was able to hold the camera at waist level, pointed up to the ceiling with the screen flipped over so I could just look down and get a really cool shot of the demons painted on the ceiling. The guards had no idea and I got my shot.
Ahaaa, naughty you. I thought we Pentaxians were law abiding shooters, graciously allowing those who have to take care of historical sites to earn some money for maintenance...