Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #616

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Just holding it above (or below) your head makes for nice surprises. Besides doing it like that allows for fast shooting instead of trying to make sense of what is on the LCD...

Ahaaa, naughty you. I thought we Pentaxians were law abiding shooters, graciously allowing those who have to take care of historical sites to earn some money for maintenance...
I still bought the postcards...i fully appreciate their need to make a living (I never want to be the one to drain resources from protection of historical sites, and don't want to be the one to take bread off someone's plate). But there were some (many) things that i wanted pictures of that they didn't have postcard of. And, back then, i was a Canon guy...I have evolved.

09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #617
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Double that MP count and I would by it.
No SR? No problem
.25 FPS? Hell, if I shoot 8 SPF I'm cookin'
No liveview? Awesome, I think I'm in love!! Can you take out the video too?
3 AF points? I've seen the light, and it's called a split prism.
It exists. Look at the Hasselblads - though most have a single AF point...
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It exists. Look at the Hasselblads - though most have a single AF point...
1 point is more than enough for me. It's nice to have the option to AF, but I vastly prefer manually focus these days. I'm very much a medium format studio photographer, stuck on a hobbyist's budget.
09-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #619
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Okay here's my prediction for that:

6MP FF sensor
No SR
0.25 FPS
No liveview
SAFOX VII 3 AF points

Slogan: Here it is, you've asked for it, now go buy it.
Double that MP count and I would by it.
No SR? No problem
.25 FPS? Hell, if I shoot 8 SPF I'm cookin'
No liveview? Awesome, I think I'm in love!! Can you take out the video too?
3 AF points? I've seen the light, and it's called a split prism.

Yes, please.
But perhaps at 12-24mp.
I can do w/o SR, WR, AF.
No LV, no rear LCD (a crappy one would be icing on the cake)
Needs to be cheap though ($800?)

It will still do what counts (make pictures)

09-04-2012, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #620
mee
Veteran Member

I ventured off into history today to see what 2008 looked like around here... I discovered it looked the same.. rumors of FF in September!
09-04-2012, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #621
Veteran Member

Apparently Groundhog Day moved to September .....
09-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #622
mbp

Photos: Albums
I know I am wondering off in La La Land here, but wouldn't it be nice if Pentax just striped everything bare and made a FF DSLR in a Honeywell Spotmatic body? No screen or anything, only the FF sensor and the camera body for $600 would be...magical.
Ok, I am back to reality now.

09-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbp Quote
No screen or anything, only the FF sensor and the camera body for $600 would be...magical.
$600? Magical, indeed.
Such a niche product (even for a FF), selling in extremely low numbers, would be Leica-expensive. I don't get why people thinks that stripping out features automatically means a lower price
09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbp Quote
I know I am wondering off in La La Land here, but wouldn't it be nice if Pentax just striped everything bare and made a FF DSLR in a Honeywell Spotmatic body? No screen or anything, only the FF sensor and the camera body for $600 would be...magical. Ok, I am back to reality now.
I have seen some concept designs for a 35mm digital sensor that consists of a film canister containing the power supply and memory card, and the sensor which is held in place behind the mirror box like a piece of film. Maybe someone can post a link? I'm not sure it has gone much beyond the concept stage. It's not really a substitute for a pro DLSR, but I would love to have something like that to breathe some life back into my old KX.
09-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #625
Veteran Member

I have seen some concept designs for a 35mm digital sensor that consists of a film canister containing the power supply and memory card, and the sensor which is held in place behind the mirror box like a piece of film. Maybe someone can post a link? I'm not sure it has gone much beyond the concept stage. It's not really a substitute for a pro DLSR, but I would love to have something like that to breathe some life back into my old KX.
Digital Film Concept Could Resurrect Dead Film Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The concept has circulated for years.
09-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #626
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dunno the source of this italian site is but hey they think K-3 and 645D II at photokina
Photokina 2012, le nuove fotocamere | Multimedia | Digital.it
09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No idea about this site or if it's been posted, but let the rumors fly
Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina
09-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #628
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jack Quote
No idea about this site or if it's been posted, but let the rumors fly
Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina
I can't take it seriously when it uses a pic from an April Fool's Day joke.
09-05-2012, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #629

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Actually there would be much more space available if the designers would consider a modified camera back door
incorporated into the "digital film cartridge". You could then have an ISO selector button, external USB plug and
even a storage card slot. I think you could squeeze quite a bit of useful electronics into an additional 1/4 inch thickness.
Maybe there would be some inconvenience with the viewfinder, but unlikely. Furthermore, the "digital back" could curl
under the main body for additional space, as for a battery, or even a winder mechanism.
The winder lever would reset the shutter and aperture springs, and the settings would still be controlled manually on the main body.
Since one can now set the ISO sensitivity for the sensor, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Consider it an investment in an expensive endless roll of film without the lab processing costs. OK, the sensor would be huge, but heck,
it doesn't have to be more than 24 meg/pix.

Ricoh uses a similar idea for their GRX, but on the front with the lens wedded to the sensor. They, of all companies should be capable.

Last edited by Catalana; 09-05-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add more info
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #630
mbp

Photos: Albums
@Kunzite, the idea was that if it can be mass produced cheaply, then it could be sold at a good price. But I know that we live in the modern digital era where, unlike the begone film era, full frame are mostly for pro's and people who can actually afford it.

*Sigh* I guess I'll just keep dreaming.