Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Price K20D: 1299 Euro

Suggested retail price (with kit lens),
according to a dealer in Germany.

This is 300 Euro more than the K10D in 2006.


Last edited by blende8; 01-18-2008 at 02:18 PM.
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 57
I think this is good!

With Pentax's reputation of delivering lots of bang for the buck (or Euro for that matter) I think we will get to see an extraordinary photographic tool pretty soon.
I won't buy it right away, as I haven't even put my K10D through the paces enough, but it is good to see Pentax being innovative and ambitious again.
Exciting times,
Torge
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
I'll preorder and have the K10D for sale at the same time.. Unless of course, some unique K10D feature makes it a life-long keeper... Need to see what features the new beast has first.
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Suggested retail price,
according to a dealer in Germany.

This is 300 Euro more than the K10D in 2006.
Well, in another thread, I suggested that maybe the KxxD would be placed somewhere between K10 and 40/300D/A700 concerning noise at high ISO but at this MSRP (same as 40D/A700), it would have to be at least as good as those in the IQ department to sale...

Good news then... I guess....

01-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Well, in another thread, I suggested that maybe the KxxD would be placed somewhere between K10 and 40/300D/A700 concerning noise at high ISO but at this MSRP (same as 40D/A700), it would have to be at least as good as those in the IQ department to sale...

Good news then... I guess....

I would go along with this reasoning. Just thinking of how much the K10D had at the pirce it did makes me salavate for this supposed beast. Although I had not budgeted for this price I think I will have to stretch for it.
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I would go along with this reasoning. Just thinking of how much the K10D had at the pirce it did makes me salavate for this supposed beast. Although I had not budgeted for this price I think I will have to stretch for it.
One can only hope so.

It might not be the case though if one considers the wilingness of Hoya to extract higher margins from the DSLR business (see other thread on this in this forum)... wait and see.
01-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Suggested retail price,
according to a dealer in Germany.

This is 300 Euro more than the K10D in 2006.
That makes it more than the Nikon D 300 if I did the conversion right. There is no way a Pentax can command the premium price a Nikon can. Either Pentax thinks it is better than the D 300 or the price is wrong. A golden rule of marketing is you price to market, not to cost or profit. That means the market will have to perceive it to be better than the D300. If that price is right Pentax must think they have something very special, hope they are right.
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
That makes it more than the Nikon D 300 if I did the conversion right. There is no way a Pentax can command the premium price a Nikon can. Either Pentax thinks it is better than the D 300 or the price is wrong. A golden rule of marketing is you price to market, not to cost or profit. That means the market will have to perceive it to be better than the D300. If that price is right Pentax must think they have something very special, hope they are right.
No,
In sweden D300 is around 1650-1700 EUR. 1299 EUR is actually a little cheaper than Sony A700.

/Mats

01-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by Mats Quote
No,
In sweden D300 is around 1650-1700 EUR. 1299 EUR is actually a little cheaper than Sony A700.

/Mats
Thanks! That makes much more sense.
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
Just popped that into a currency calculator (no idea how accurate it is) and it came back as $1898.61 USD. There better be a hell of a lot of WOW in it at that price.
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just popped that into a currency calculator (no idea how accurate it is) and it came back as $1898.61 USD. There better be a hell of a lot of WOW in it at that price.
I think you made a wrong assumption. Up to now, I think it's safe to say that EUR 1 = roughly USD 1 on the consumer market. At least, that's what I see.
01-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think you made a wrong assumption. Up to now, I think it's safe to say that EUR 1 = roughly USD 1 on the consumer market. At least, that's what I see.
Have to agree with Asahiflex on this one. If the past (and present for that matter) is/are any indication, the currency values mean nothing between the Euro and the US Dollar when it comes to the retail price of cameras and lenses here in the USA.

For the most part it is a 1:1 ration on buying power. That said, we generally get it discounted and rebated while the rest of the world does not. That's buying power

Stephen
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 473
I think this price price difference technically means that the K10D will still be around for a while.
01-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Original Poster
I forgot to add that the above price is with kit lens.
It is not clear atm. if this will be the 18-55 II or the 17-70.
01-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
I think this price price difference technically means that the K10D will still be around for a while.
Not really. Production of K10D has already stopped. And with current K10D pricing, they are not making much money on it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
euro, pentax news, pentax rumors, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K7 on sale for Canadians $1299 with 18-55 lens eccs19 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 01-29-2010 12:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: K20D body - 500 Euro! muustuus Sold Items 5 08-06-2009 02:07 AM
Is the K7 really worth spending $1299 for? Reportage Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 05-29-2009 04:11 PM
No FF from Pentax but it is 3000 Euro RaduA Pentax News and Rumors 10 11-14-2008 04:54 PM
Help Planning Euro Trip Mikhail General Talk 17 01-11-2008 04:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top