Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
All this speculation has made me forget about buying lenses. That's one good thing!

Ben, you rock man. I hope your conference goes off without a hitch!
Thanks for the encouragement...Hope that the new Pentax disposable 1.3 mega camera is as impressive as my "Pantex DX20"

Ben

01-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #32
Inactive Account

more rumors

01-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
I think this could be done based on the 645 platform. A system with the 645N with well chosen lenses doesn't have to be very heavy/bulky. I am afraid though I won't be able to rectify the body, although I have most of the lenses I am lusting after.

If this K20D thing still has APS-C with the same view finder as the K10D I will pass. If it has a somewhat larger sensor (1.25 maybe) and therfore comes with a better viewfinder I will have to re-assess.

Very interesting indeed,
Torge
I think it can be done with APS-C as long as it has a moving sensor and Pentax has had that for a time now. I have been hoping for something using that for a long time, and with the rumours around, maybe that is what we will be getting. The question is if there is any glass out there that could handle those resolutions (2*14M or even 4*14M), so maybe I am wrong in my assumptions.
01-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for the encouragement...Hope that the new Pentax disposable 1.3 mega camera is as impressive as my "Pantex DX20"

Ben
Of course!

any chance we'll see pictures of either conference after the announcements?

01-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Ben,
Your contributions to the Pentax whisper campaign have been helpful and fun. I know some people objected but the confusion surrounding the Hoya takeover demanded some reassurance to the Pentax community even if it came from a semi official source. You, Steve, Richard, Chris, and several others did a nice job of that.

It is less than a week before your NDA agreement will end and I suspect there is at least one new feature that will be unique. I'm hoping all of you that are "in the know" will take the time to post how you think this, or these, new features work in the real world. I think (hope) one feature will be LV in the OVF. Being able to fine tune focus by magnifying LV is, I think, a major breakthrough for old farts like me with failing eyesight.

Many of us live far enough away from a Pentax dealer that it is very difficult to try the new features before purchasing. We depend on guys like you to fully explain how these features will work in real situations, something missing from most reviews.

Again, thanks for keeping us amused and a little better informed. I, for one, am looking forward to some very long posts with example photos on how to use these new features.

Thanks,

Ken
As one of the "quiet ones" I want to second your comments re Ben, all the way through. I have been disappointed to see people laying 'it' on him for limiting his comments - they seem to forget that an NDA is an enforcable legal document

BTW - The other advantage of the live OVF view would be live histogram and highlight/shadow indication - WOW

Rod
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben, All spending has stopped here. After selling off a large part of my lenses, I'm eargerly waiting to see what lenses are coming this year. Encouraged by better reports of the DA*16-50 as well.
Not really ready for a new body yet but ...Now if they launch a 645D, well I'll be in trouble. A whole new round of LBA, EBA
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

If Ben is getting one of the NEW cameras about to be announced I wonder if he's allowed to post pictures from it before they hit the shelves

I'd be very interested in pixel peeping and comparing the image quality between it and the K10, in a controlled environment.

01-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #38

Ben
Sorry, Ben, I'm not a expert . What is a "1.3 mega cam" ????
01-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vibi Quote
Sorry, Ben, I'm not a expert . What is a "1.3 mega cam" ????
mega as in megapixels
01-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

vibi, a K100D is a 6.1 mega pixel camera, or K10D is a 10 mega pixel camera, so a 1.3 mega cam is going backwards.

Ben would still get incredible pictures with it if he owned one, but you can bet that isn't what he's really getting.
01-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffreyS Quote
Oh, man, I'm such a sucker for this stuff, Ben, 'cause I really need another body. Can you just tell me if a landscape nature photographer like myself will be as excited as you come Monday?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YES!!!!!
Merci! Will it help in places like this? (Fair Warning: 2 meg QTVR pano that "resizes your screen")

Don Valley Brickworks - Jan 19, 2008

I need less noise when the light is sparse and the details are high... can't wait!

-Mark
01-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
vibi, a K100D is a 6.1 mega pixel camera, or K10D is a 10 mega pixel camera, so a 1.3 mega cam is going backwards.

Ben would still get incredible pictures with it if he owned one, but you can bet that isn't what he's really getting.
Grazie bello, I dream for 1.3 CROP ( APS-H ) cause LANDSCAPES ( OOOOOOOOOH YES ! )
01-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Need to play a lot more with the stuff before the Press Conference next week.

I would have hoped you did that intensively a while ago to be sure everything was as good as it could be, and you were given a chance to point out specific things that needed to be tweaked, if there was any based on your pro experience.
01-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #44

Don't they have Beta testers to do that such stuff for them? What's the need for a photog to test camera's all day. If he'd have done that, he wouldn't have any time to do his regular job. I think it's perfectly understandable he receives it in a few days prior to some presentation, so he can play around and get used to it...

You really are a bit negative are you, mutley? Don't worry, and just wait until the actual report comes out. And even then... If it's not for you, it's not for you. Pentax can't make EVERYONE happy, can they?
01-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Don't they have Beta testers to do that such stuff for them? What's the need for a photog to test camera's all day. If he'd have done that, he wouldn't have any time to do his regular job. I think it's perfectly understandable he receives it in a few days prior to some presentation, so he can play around and get used to it...
What does that even mean?

Yes, they have beta testers including many paper salesmen, overpaid financial managers, Bennigan's hostesses, engineers, cable TV customer service representatives, shoelace aglet manufacturers, boomerang engravers, and, of course, michigan soccer moms.

But, earlier input from an incredibly succesful actual photographer making thousands upon thousands of fraaancs for each individual photograph per each sale would have (I would think) a lot more useful and intelligent input for Pentax to use for tweaking.

And, no it would not prevent him from doing his job assuming he's not on a shoot 24 hours a day every single solitary day or even prevented from using the beta camera on shoots to test reliability, real world IQ, etc.