05-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #46
pdo

For $250 msrp.. Pentax could've at least provide a metal mount.. Smh

05-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah I suggested the same a while back, but no one really knows. If true, it's not a bad thing, since that's one of the best 50mm lenses ever.
I agree. I've inherited a M 50/1.7 and it's my favorite 50mm. If it wasn't for the 35/2.4 I now have, it would be my most used lens. Looking forward to the new 50/1.8. If the 35/2.4 is any indication of the 50/1.8's performance, then it still may be a bargain.

I hope they release a small wide prime also in the future to round off the trio.
05-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I hope they release a small wide prime also in the future to round off the trio.
A 24/2,8 would be perfect! And later a 18/3,5 and a 90/2,8. Five economic high quality primes.
05-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #49
Veteran Member

The 50 f1.8 cost 300€ in France !!
Pentax is crazy, i'm seriously thinking about leaving that brand, i'm tired of such high prices for average lenses...

Pentax 50mm F1.8 SMC DA (New) - 027075217607

I'll send a message to Pentax France, this is just too much.

Arno

05-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #50
Pentaxian

One place in the UK has it for pre-order at 250GBP.

Pentax 50mm f1.8 SMC DA Lens (22177) - Wex Photographic

The FA 50mm f/1.4 can be had for only 75GBP more.
05-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #51
Pentaxian

DA50/1.8 will be the best NEW cheap fast 50mm for Pentax.
Build is better than the Canikon cheapies going by the DA35/2.4.
Size will be smaller than Canikon (that's the Pentax DNA)
Aperture will be rounded for better OOF renderings (just think the old 50/1.7 with its good performance but sometimes sucky hexagonal bokeh, but now improved with rounded ones)

Pentax gave us the DA35/2.4 which was in no way nerfed against the more expensive FA35/2. In fact the DA has a bit better OOF rendering.
I have high hopes that they will deliver with the new DA50
05-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Pentax is crazy, i'm seriously thinking about leaving that brand, i'm tired of such high prices for average lenses...

Arno
Do you really want to buy DA50/1.8?

This is practice of any retail in any country - to get more money with pre-orders with higher price than recommended.

05-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote

Pentax 50mm F1.8 SMC DA (New) - 027075217607

I'll send a message to Pentax France, this is just too much.

Arno
The pricing of this lens was a clear indicator to me that prices can only go up with Pentax (I don't think the price reflects the real world value of the lens). Competition has similar way cheaper 50's. You can tell what you want about micro-crap, measurbate whatever, but the truth is that this is supposed to be entry level lens.
I just stopped buying Pentax, will use what i have so far. Don't think my next will be Pentax though, from what i see.
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
The pricing of this lens was a clear indicator to me that prices can only go up with Pentax (I don't think the price reflects the real world value of the lens). Competition has similar way cheaper 50's. You can tell what you want about micro-crap, measurbate whatever, but the truth is that this is supposed to be entry level lens.
I just stopped buying Pentax, will use what i have so far. Don't think my next will be Pentax though, from what i see.
The canon is an absolute POS but cheap, Nikons new release (which is what entry level users must buy so it works btw) is 229 so this is competitive
the cheap nikon (which was an old design and not compatible with sub d7000 or D90 bodies) is discontinued just like the old F50 was a few years back

the European prices seem very wonky to me, and the lens isn't on the market yet (i do expect them to read marginally higher though since they include VAT and NA price doesn't. VAT accounts for a fair amount of it but there is still something wrong there. it should maybe be $30 euro more than the da35 2.4 al

BTW the F50 1.7 (which almost certainly this is derived from) was a couple hundred dollars more than a decade ago, certainly $250 is reasonable given inflation

If it is built to fall apart every 13 months like the canon with crap performance to boot then yeah it's over priced
Pentax will get your money once, canon gets it every 18 months or so
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #55

Nikon 50mm 1.8G Is A New Design

This statement is untrue. The Full Frame Nikon 50mm 1.8G is a brand new, seven element design, (in six groupings) with one aspherical element. The Nikon also comes with a five year warranty in the US. All for $219 USD. The Nikon 50mm 1.8G is not the same optical formula as the previous Nikon 50mm 1.8D which in one form or another dates back to the late 1970's. The 50mm 1.8D was only a six element design with no aspherical elements.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens | Nikon Wide-Angle Lenses

I own this lens and it's sharp with a decent bokeh. The build quality is not cheap but it's not the same as the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G.

The new DA Pentax 50mm 1.8 appears to be a carryover of the old 50mm SMC-M 50mm 1.7 from the 70's, a six element design in five groupings, but now with rounded aperture blades.

Ricoh Pentax is going to have to do better. Rehashing a 35 year old optical design and selling it a price higher than the competition makes no sense. This new DA 50mm shouldn't sell for more than $125 - $150 USD tops. I would never buy a lens with a plastic mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The canon is an absolute POS but cheap, Nikons new release (which is what entry level users must buy so it works btw) is 229 so this is competitive
the cheap nikon (which was an old design and not compatible with sub d7000 or D90 bodies) is discontinued just like the old F50 was a few years back

the European prices seem very wonky to me, and the lens isn't on the market yet (i do expect them to read marginally higher though since they include VAT and NA price doesn't. VAT accounts for a fair amount of it but there is still something wrong there. it should maybe be $30 euro more than the da35 2.4 al

BTW the F50 1.7 (which almost certainly this is derived from) was a couple hundred dollars more than a decade ago, certainly $250 is reasonable given inflation

If it is built to fall apart every 13 months like the canon with crap performance to boot then yeah it's over priced
Pentax will get your money once, canon gets it every 18 months or so
05-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
This statement is untrue. The Full Frame Nikon 50mm 1.8G is a brand new, seven element design, (in six groupings) with one aspherical element. The Nikon also comes with a five year warranty in the US. All for $219 USD. The Nikon 50mm 1.8G is not the same optical formula as the previous Nikon 50mm 1.8D which in one form or another dates back to the late 1970's. The 50mm 1.8D was only a six element design with no aspherical elements.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens | Nikon Wide-Angle Lenses

I own this lens and it's sharp with a decent bokeh. The build quality is not cheap but it's not the same as the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G.

The new DA Pentax 50mm 1.8 appears to be a carryover of the old 50mm SMC-M 50mm 1.7 from the 70's, a six element design in five groupings, but now with rounded aperture blades.

Ricoh Pentax is going to have to do better. Rehashing a 35 year old optical design and selling it a price higher than the competition makes no sense. This new DA 50mm shouldn't sell for more than $125 - $150 USD tops.
i never said the nikon was lousy just the canon. i said the 229 nikon makes the pentax a competitive price. i got the 229 price off bhphoto

the pentax is ff as well btw, and if it is based on the m1.7 (likely) then it will compete quite well. nikon's edge is the warranty which hopefully Pentax is going to change (it's 2 years up here - and i bet i will get the lens for 219 here as well)
more elements doesn't always mean a better performance (and vice versa) until it is tested there is no way to compare them directly. if it is a Rehash of the 50 1.7 with rounded blades and rear coating i thing a lot of people will be happy the m50 1.7 is a highly regarded lens
Nikons design btw would have drawn on old designs as well, there really is little revolutionary in lens design now.
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #57

Nikon 50mm 1.8 G vs. Pentax DA 50mm 1.8

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i never said the nikon was lousy just the canon. i said the 229 nikon makes the pentax a competitive price. i got the 229 price off bhphoto

the pentax is ff as well btw, and if it is based on the m1.7 (likely) then it will compete quite well. nikon's edge is the warranty which hopefully Pentax is going to change (it's 2 years up here - and i bet i will get the lens for 219 here as well)
more elements doesn't always mean a better performance (and vice versa) until it is tested there is no way to compare them directly. if it is a Rehash of the 50 1.7 with rounded blades and rear coating i thing a lot of people will be happy the m50 1.7 is a highly regarded lens
Nikons design btw would have drawn on old designs as well, there really is little revolutionary in lens design now.

Don't kid yourself, the Nikon is less expensive, has an aspherical element, has a metal mount, and also includes the five year warranty.

The number of lens elements do make a difference. Especially when one element is ashperical.

The Nikon 50mm 1.8G has already been tested to be a very sharp lens:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S Review

I can vouch for the 1.8 G's performance, too.

Pentax needs to do better than a plastic mounted rehash of the SMC-M 50mm 1.7. There is still some dispute on the new DA 50mm 1.8 if it truly is Full Frame. Until someone tries it out on a Film camera, it won't be known.

Last edited by Angevinn; 05-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.
05-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #58
Veteran Member

bh lists it as ff
I agree it should be a metal mount, I also think it will drop to 199 eventually, maybe 219

I've seen the nikon at least 3 people I know have it. and it is a good lens but it won't fit on my pentax cameras so it really is moot. I'm not flipping to Nikon unless Pentax dies off - thing is it's an overall value thing Nikon has a few good low price lenses but the vast majority are very very expensive. they may measurbate better but nothing i've see compares with the FA77.

at mid level i'd take a k30 with the 50 1.8 over a d5100 with the nikon 1.8 any day, it's about the whole package. same at k5 level, i'd take the k5 over the d7000 (and this one I have shot with)

Pentax needed an affordable AF 50, now they have one. will price fluctuate probably and they will probably have a rebate program on it as well

the only 50 I wouldn't buy if i had all 4 dslr brands is the Canon (this I've used as well and it is a truly utter POS - but cheap)

Edit as for the review I think I'll wait for Photozone or someone else who reviews more than one brand, and does extensive testing - the same on all brands
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I agree that a metal mount would be preferable and that the Nikon is a better deal, but the Pentax price isn't really totally out of tune if you bring some more lenses on the table, like the Sony NEX 50/1.8 or the Olympus 45/1.8.
05-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Don't kid yourself, the Nikon is less expensive, has an aspherical element, has a metal mount, and also includes the five year warranty.

The number of lens elements do make a difference. Especially when one element is ashperical.

The Nikon 50mm 1.8G has already been tested to be a very sharp lens:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S Review

I can vouch for the 1.8 G's performance, too.
And it has a dust/moist protection rubber ring, that covers the outside of the metal mount, when mounted to the camera.
Nikon is making a big punch with the 1.8G lens line....... 28 1.8G, 50 1.8G and 85 1.8G. All excellent lenses.