Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Awo - My take is that Pentax is building up lines just as though it is a new company. Everyone knew an overhaul was in the process and this could be the way it is. You mention all the old stuff that they have in the F and FA series but only the FA 50 1.4 is being produced. Their production line is not going to be produced on what they made in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. It can't. I think you make a great point that there are too many lenses in that range though. Think of where they initially built things in the process - the wide angle and the 50s were the first to be mass produced. Their success dictated future production. Understand that Pentax is in a bit of a pickle in this - because of their K mount and the availability of all the old glass that is manual focus (and AF for that matter) they have to produce that quality again at a good price point. Who is going to spend 700 (maybe 500-600) bucks on a 135 2.8 AF built now when it isn't as good of quality as the A, F, FA series? People will stick with the manual glass. Don't believe me? I would be willing to bet that the Rokinon is quite popular in photography because of its price point and quality. I've read some people even claim that it is as good of quality as the 77 LTD.

As far as the classic 105 prime/portrait prime - look at the 100 Macro. If it is portrait work nobody is racing around and macro zoom speeds are acceptable. I just don't think in this early restructuring phase Pentax is going to go after ANYTHING that the 3rd party market is going to have because of price point.

To respond that nobody wants the 35 2.4 - I'm sure people said this with the 50 1.7 vs the 50 1.4. The 35 2.4 I just picked up, and in my opinion it is as sharp as the 50 1.7. For being a $170 wad of plastic it takes good pictures. That tells me that Pentax released in it in good faith knowing that it would cover the market that the old 50s have on the APC sensor format. Just looked at the 35 2.0 - $475 on B&H new. That is a terrible price point and if it isn't made in Japan it has no market share anymore. The reality is that there is no more made in Japan glass that is inexpensive. Pentax's lines are all under 1000 dollars (except the 645d) which identifies their current market. $700 lenses is going to cater to very few of their current base with the availability of old glass. Which all of this is why I believe they aren't spitting out the lenses you want. I still agree they need to cover a new area, but there are reasons they don't - primes cost a lot of money. Pentax makes terrific primes and always have, and if they can't make if for the competitive price point with their historical quality they won't do it right now.
Rockinon 85mm is "nothing to write home about". I tried it and returned it. Comparing it to to FA77(that is also have very questionable qualities in digital age in certain circumstances) is hilarious.

I do not care where this glass is made. I do not believe in MIJ and MIV nonsense, we live in the world where BMW build engines in China, QC is the key. I had a chance to try FA43 both MIJ and MIV. In fact my current copy is MIV. There is no difference in optical qualities and craftsmanship. When I see adds in Pentax marketplace about "legendary MIJ FA Limited lense", I laugh, my friends brand new MIJ 31Lim fell a part and had to be sent to Pentax for repairs, but my FA 43 is fine and take great pictures.

I am not asking for $700 lenses, that's almost 2x more then it is reasonable to pay for 85mm f1.8 or 105 F2.8

And this is exactly the reason I stopped buying new Pentax products for the last 3 years, and moved to Canon although I still use my old Pentax equipment occasionally:

I do not need "collection" of primes in 35-55mm range. I do not need to buy macro lens when I need portrait lens.
And I also do not think Pentax make terrific primes anymore. I can not call cropped prime lenses with 3.2 and 2.4, 2.8 aperture terrific, they are simply too slow, and too expensive for the speed they provide.

Last edited by awo425; 06-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
I have 35F2 that cost me the same money a few years ago, that Pentax started charging for DA35F2.4. It is razor sharp from wide open, half stop faster, have nice bokeh and came with lenshood standard. Not even mentioning metal lens mount and aperture ring. I must go complete Mad Cow Desease before I choose DA35F2.4 over FA35. In fact I would choose used FA35 over DA35/2.4 in New York Minute, even if it would cost me +$100 over DA35F2.4
That's pretty harsh hate for a lens that's lauded by respected review sites and lots of users around the world. If you're the kind of person who had owned cameras before 2004, then yes, most likely you wouldn't have chosen the DA 35 f2.4. If the FA 35 f2 were still in production today and available worldwide as extensively as the DA 35 f2.4, I'l pick that one too, just for the build and aperture ring.

But no, as far as shops tell the FA35 is out. So for us who only got to Pentax, the arrival of the 35 2.4 was a blessing. And as one who owns one, I can definitely say I've no regrets getting this "cheapo" lens. And while I agree that the DA Limiteds are slow compared to their counterparts, their built and other aspects are still respectable. Too bad though, Pentax's weakest spot is marketing.