Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Swivel screens are the first thing to fail on handycams, by far.
I am ready to believe this but would like to see at least some substantiating evidence. I'm kind of odd that way.

05-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Olympus E-5 wants a chat with you.

Also, I'm in the camp that think articulating LCD would be really nice. I use my K-x and K10 professionally and with these cameras there is no tethering + live view. My cameras often have to be at a location where I can't conveniently see either screen or put my face on the VF. In those situations, the arcitulating LCD is godsent.
This thread is becoming a divided argument about the k-30 or k-5 replacement should or should not have the articulating LCD... interesting views from each side. Just curious, is the Olympus E-5 a hot seller? It would also be interesting to see if Canikon high ends professional models carry the articulating LCD.
05-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am ready to believe this but would like to see at least some substantiating evidence. I'm kind of odd that way.
Flex circuits are the weak link on electonics because they innevitably wear out with use. Swivel screens on handy-cams, notebook lids, flip cellphones, etc. all those fail first at the flex board component. So much so that you often don't have trouble finding spare flex circuits on the market or having it fixed at a repair shop, there's a demand for it.
05-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #154
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
Actually, I could see third party grips come out similar to the old k100's that were popular, where you have an attachment that plugs into the remote port. Not as seamless, but very viable!!!

That idea/concept would indeed work with some of the newer models.

But also there is one that I've seen that doesn't appear to have the Pentax label on it... Think of it as a battery grip (the one I saw was for the Pentax K-01) and then having to keep the battery door open on the K-01; and then the battery grip provides power through the opened camera battery port. Could also be made to technically work with cameras such as the K-30 as well, but may (or may not) lose the water seal.

05-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
They are called field monitors, do a search on google or look on B&H Amazon, ect. You also have EVF that connect through HDMI. These monitors and EVF often also have extra features like zebra stripes and focus peaking for example
Thanks for the heads up. It seems a hotshoe foot would do better since it goes with the camera body; wires can be pulled accidentally most of the time and may result in lots of accidents.

QuoteOriginally posted by Norm123 Quote
The K30 does have the electronic level, with a read-out in the viewfinder and on the live view LCD panel. This information did not make it into the press releases, so this may be the first time anyone has verified that the K30 does indeed have this very useful feature.
Cool... hopefully they'll publish that too. wait did I read that right? read-out in the VF?

btw, about the swivel screen on DSLRs...I like the convenience of those, but seeing them in operation (flip, turn around, press to camera back, shoot, then reverse process after a streak, and the cycle goes) makes me feel insecure about its safety. Or maybe I'm just too reckless with my equipment,lol. I've never tried an Oly E-5 personally so I guess I should to see if it feels as tough as it looks...

Now touch-screen? I think the upcoming Canon 65D has it. And we all know what Canon xx-D's are: big cameras (they're even bigger than the K-5!). So maybe one can play Angry Birds there now. I remember one of the old Kodak DSLRs having Pong (which you can "disable" also)

Not a fan of touch screens since for me it would require me to look at the camera's screen again to make adjustments. Buttons are better. I'm not sure if I can have enough experience with touchscreens to be able to use them without looking at the screen as much as I can with buttons. I agree that touchscreens will be better implemented on cameras with little surface area to place buttons on such as P&S cameras.
05-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Cool... hopefully they'll publish that too. wait did I read that right? read-out in the VF?
f its anything like the K7/K5 it has a bar graph going left or right of centre along bottom of viewfinder along with the other status numbers, pretty handy as you don't need to pull away to check on the LCD.
05-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #157
Col
Veteran Member

In case some of you don't use the Dark Pforum The choice could be more difficult than it first seamed... though again this is probably the wider colour choice in Asia.
05-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #158

Oh man, that silver. That yelllow....

Crap, how the hell would I even get one of those in the States?

05-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote

In case some of you don't use the Dark Pforum The choice could be more difficult than it first seamed... though again this is probably the wider colour choice in Asia.
Are these for real or just someone's imaginative mind working? Gotta love that bloody red though. And the silver makes it look all the more Transformer-ish.
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Damn, I like the orange one! Olive is interesting as well. Hmm mmh!
05-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #161
Pentaxian

Very strange , K-30 is still not showing on Pentax Japan web site. No photo , no news release ??
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #162
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Very strange , K-30 is still not showing on Pentax Japan web site. No photo , no news release ??
Sorry the poster referenced Pentax Singapore Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PentaxSingapore
05-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's up on the front page now!

Here's the color choice page:
K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
05-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's up on the front page now!

Here's the color choice page:
K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Wow. They get a full range of colors, both shiny and matte.

Not that I'm a big fan of designer colors. But I wouldn't mind a matte khaki/ tan for running around the deserts though - black attracts some serious heat build-up. White is just a little... bright.
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd have to bust out at least the 72 pack of crayola crayons to identify some of those colors, I don't see a khaki/tan though I'd want one for the same reasons (damn sensor gets hot enough by itself) that odd copper brown is certainly unusual. I love the "silky" flat versions. I think id have to go with the metallic olive color one in "silky" though or possibly the bright yellow one in "crystal" simply because its so incredibly godawful obnoxious. I hope there are at least a FEW color choices when the K-3 comes out. Would be nice if at least the kit lenses were color matched too but that adds a TON of manufacturing variety with all the new colors so I'm not expecting much.

EDIT, after playing with the thing on the .jp page definetely have to get silky blue, that looks so cool with a black lens.

2nd edit: why the hell do we never get all the colors anyways? Would it really be that hard to make them a special order only option even if they don't want to normally stock them outside of the usual home markets?

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 05-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.