Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok funny thing on the topic of this tangent we have gotten onto concerning advertising, I just happened to have a business looking guy in a Ricoh Polo come into my work. I gathered that he works somewhere in the main company though I only confirmed he was an employee and I didn't ever actually ask where. I mentioned that I hoped Ricoh does a good job of advertising Pentax cameras now that they own them. He was aware of Pentax as a camera company from way back when, but had absolutely no clue that his own company had purchased them. Maybe that one person just was the clueless exception, but if Pentax was such a side board unimportant acquisition that it wasn't general knowledge even in their own company I can't help but wonder how much steam will be behind the push to make them great again. Apparently Ricoh has been buying quite a few companies lately but he didn't know Pentax was one of them.

In general though I think right now we are finally seeing the beginning of the Ricoh intentions rather than the leftover Hoya plans and confusion of the changeover.

06-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Ricoh is mainly into copying equipment for business so that has very little to do with photography, so if he works on scanners it might be very understandable he has no knowledge about the photography part of the company.
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
Touch is especially good on images for setting the focus point exactly where you want it, for pinch-to-zoom or tap-to-zoom exactly where you want instead of into the centre; and for on-screen keyboards.
Okay i'm looking through the viewfinder, now please tell me what steps to take to change the focus point.
If you start to say i need to use liveview then it would be a feature i would use 1% of the time maybe....

For compact or mirrorless camera touch screen makes sense but for a DSLR it's a gimmick since you need to take your eye off from the viewfinder and so you lose the ability to take a photo.
With the K5 i can change the shutterspeed, aperture, ISO, EV balance, exposure lock, enable AF, change AF point, reset the metering, DOF preview, change AF mode without taking my eye off the viewfinder so i can change all those thing on the fly while shooting, if i need to look on the screen to change those settings it's simply a negative point. If i'm shooting portrait i hardly look at the screen, i'm much more focus on keep contact with the subject, if i'll constantly stare on the screen it will be a huge negative point.
Beside that, why would touch screen be better then a button to begin with?

About SD cards and tablets, most tablet have USB so just get a card reader.
WIFI is fun in the studio but in the field you don't want to have it on since it will drain the battery quite fast.

Last edited by Anvh; 06-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.
06-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
With the K5 i can change the shutterspeed, aperture, ISO, EV balance, exposure lock, enable AF, change AF point, reset the metering, DOF preview, change AF mode without taking my eye off the viewfinder so i can change all those thing on the fly while shooting, if i need to look on the screen to change those settings it's simply a negative point. If i'm shooting portrait i hardly look at the screen, i'm much more focus on keep contact with the subject, if i'll constantly stare on the screen it will be a huge negative point. Beside that, why would touch screen be better then a button to begin with?
Excellent points there. For a K-x user like me - no AF confirmation points in VF and no quick selection button - I can still manage to change AF point mode by memorizing the buttons, therefore still able to keep my eye on the VF all the while. A touch screen would be a slower, more cumbersome way as Anvh pointed out, I very much agree to it. Center-point focus + recompose is way faster than pinch to zoom. And an on-screen keyboard on a 3" square-ish screen... sorry, I can't be convinced.

06-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #200
D0n
Banned

Okay i'm looking through the viewfinder, now please tell me what steps to take to change the focus point.
If you start to say i need to use liveview then it would be a feature i would use 1% of the time maybe....

For compact or mirrorless camera touch screen makes sense but for a DSLR it's a gimmick since you need to take your eye off from the viewfinder and so you lose the ability to take a photo.
With the K5 i can change the shutterspeed, aperture, ISO, EV balance, exposure lock, enable AF, change AF point, reset the metering, DOF preview, change AF mode without taking my eye off the viewfinder so i can change all those thing on the fly while shooting, if i need to look on the screen to change those settings it's simply a negative point. If i'm shooting portrait i hardly look at the screen, i'm much more focus on keep contact with the subject, if i'll constantly stare on the screen it will be a huge negative point.

WIFI is fun in the studio but in the field you don't want to have it on since it will drain the battery quite fast.
on my sony hdr hc1 camcorder, I can set the camera for spot focus or spot metering on the touch screen, flip the screen around so it is flat to the camcorder body, and touch the lcd to pick my points while looking through the viewfinder... it takes practice... but it works great...
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-30 to me seems like a K-5 "Lite". It has the same/similiar functions, updated some things, left a couple things out. I like it, just wish it had a 14/bit raw (like the K5) not the 12/bit raw, but other than that for a camera at this price and it being weathersealed, it's a really great camera.

I can't wait for the K-5 replacement now, I'm sure it's going be twice as good.
06-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
on my sony hdr hc1 camcorder, I can set the camera for spot focus or spot metering on the touch screen, flip the screen around so it is flat to the camcorder body, and touch the lcd to pick my points while looking through the viewfinder... it takes practice... but it works great...
easier then using buttons?

Anyway i doubt we will see a WR camera with flip-screen so that means we need to train to use our noise to change focus points.

06-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #203

Same as you do now. Making the rear screen a touch-screen does not take away any of the buttons you already have. It doesn't take up any extra space. It's an unmixed blessing.

QuoteQuote:
I already answered that. It's more direct. Did you not read the second paragraph in the post you relied to?

QuoteQuote:
I don't want to fiddle around with cards. WiFi I can turn off when I need battery life more than the convenience of always-on.
06-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Then i fail to see the reasoning to spend the extra money for a touch screen, the only time i will use it is in the menu and i'm only in there when formatting the SD card or selecting mirror up for cleaning so little to nothing to gain for me and i doubt i'm the only one and with liveview i use manual focus 95% of the time.

You still need to turn WIFI on for transport, so setting up the WIFI, putting the WIFI on and off and switching batteries is less fiddly then fiddling with the SD card, sorry but i don't see it.
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #205

Then i fail to see the reasoning to spend the extra money for a touch screen, the only time i will use it is in the menu and i'm only in there when formatting the SD card or selecting mirror up for cleaning so little to nothing to gain for me and i doubt i'm the only one and with liveview i use manual focus 95% of the time.
OK... I use the rear screen quite a lot. Not so much for taking photos as for reviewing them afterwards or using the menus.

QuoteQuote:
You still need to turn WIFI on for transport, so setting up the WIFI, putting the WIFI on and off and switching batteries is less fiddly then fiddling with the SD card, sorry but i don't see it.
Setting up the wireless connection should only need to be done once. Switching it on or off is trivial; it's just a menu option. (Easier with a touch-screen, of course.) I think you over-rate the effect on battery life. For my phone, WiFi only increases power consumption by 10%, which isn't enough to cause me to recharge it any more often.
06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #206
Veteran Member

So reviewing would be easier to do with thouch screen then with buttons?
I've an Asus transformer with a keyboard and i mostly use it with the keyboard simply because the smears my fingers leave on the screen doesn't help with viewing.

About the wifi a phone and camera are two different things, the power consumption for the camera is much lower then for a smartphone so those 10% could be 50% for a camera.

Turning it off and on in the menu is just as much work as taking the card out and when we look at transfer rate the card directly into the tablet/laptop is faster then transmitting over wifi so way would we want to pay for something that doesn't gain you much if anything?
06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #207
Pentaxian

Turning it off and on in the menu is just as much work as taking the card out and when we look at transfer rate the card directly into the tablet/laptop is faster then transmitting over wifi so way would we want to pay for something that doesn't gain you much if anything?
WiFi transfer would mean quite a lot:
  1. Tethered shooting without a cable. Many studio shooters would love this as the cable is a hassle to deal with.
  2. The above could imply "infinite card space", if the camera is configured to delete images after they have been transferred.
  3. Transferring data without removing the card. Everytime you remove and insert a card, there is a small risk that something may break and/or you'll leave the card in the reader instead of putting it back into the camera.
  4. Option for automated initiation of data transfer. As soon as the camera gets into reach of your local WiFi network, it could start to automatically transfer images to your computer. This will reduce the likelihood of forgetting to transfer the images (in order to free up the card) and should minimise the delay before you can sit down and work on the downloaded images.
  5. Potentially, you could even transfer your images to your computer from a remote location, e.g., while travelling. This would be great for travel photographers who want to make sure they have a backup of their images, but don't want to carry around a laptop all the time.
  6. Transfer your images to other devices like the iPad which are WiFi-enabled but do not have standard USB connectors.
  7. Geo-tagging without a GPS module. By exploiting knowledge about WiFi network locations, the camera could automatically tag your images with location information.
I'd love to have a WiFi-enabled camera.

Last edited by Class A; 06-11-2012 at 05:35 PM.
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
WiFi transfer would mean quite a lot: Tethered shooting without a cable. Many studio shooters would love this as the cable is a hassle to deal with. The above could imply "infinite card space", if the camera is configured to delete images after they have been transferred. Transferring data without removing the card. Everytime you remove and insert a card, there is a small risk that something may break and/or you'll leave the card in the reader instead of putting it back into the camera. Option for automated initiation of data transfer. As soon as the camera gets into reach of your local WiFi network, it could start to automatically transfer images to your computer. This will reduce the likelihood of forgetting to transfer the images (in order to free up the card) and should minimise the delay before you can sit down and work on the downloaded images. Potentially, you could even transfer your images to your computer from a remote location, e.g., while travelling. This would be great for travel photographers who want to make sure they have a backup of their images, but don't want to carry around a laptop all the time. Transfer your images to other devices like the iPad which are WiFi-enabled but do not have standard USB connectors. Geo-tagging without a GPS module. By exploiting knowledge about WiFi network locations, the camera could automatically tag your images with location information. I'd love to have a WiFi-enabled camera.
I could see this happening more with MF, and "studio-dedicated" cameras. Such a camera would need large amounts of power, given today's file sizes, so either the camera's plugged or has a great deal of reserves from a big grip. But for events and outdoor guys like me, WiFi isn't much of an advantage when we're counting on keeping more power for more shots...
06-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
WiFi transfer would mean quite a lot:
  1. Tethered shooting without a cable. Many studio shooters would love this as the cable is a hassle to deal with.
  2. The above could imply "infinite card space", if the camera is configured to delete images after they have been transferred.
  3. Transferring data without removing the card. Everytime you remove and insert a card, there is a small risk that something may break and/or you'll leave the card in the reader instead of putting it back into the camera.
  4. Option for automated initiation of data transfer. As soon as the camera gets into reach of your local WiFi network, it could start to automatically transfer images to your computer. This will reduce the likelihood of forgetting to transfer the images (in order to free up the card) and should minimise the delay before you can sit down and work on the downloaded images.
  5. Potentially, you could even transfer your images to your computer from a remote location, e.g., while travelling. This would be great for travel photographers who want to make sure they have a backup of their images, but don't want to carry around a laptop all the time.
  6. Transfer your images to other devices like the iPad which are WiFi-enabled but do not have standard USB connectors.
  7. Geo-tagging without a GPS module. By exploiting knowledge about WiFi network locations, the camera could automatically tag your images with location information.
I'd love to have a WiFi-enabled camera.
I surely see the merits for tethering and during photos shoots, for example i often check the photos the photgrapher is shooting during shoots and we use a cable so WIFI would be very nice.

However i'm solely missing the reason why you would want WIFI only because you find it too fiddly to take out the SD card from your camera, that's what's beyond me.
Actually there is a way around this right now and that's to buy an eye-fi card.
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #210

does any one know if this has continuous auto focusing in the video mode??