Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa. Yes, Pentax! Way to go—all the way!!!!

This is going to really pique the interest of the camera market.

The AF revamp is what I'm revved about... But I'm still holding out for the FF.

05-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

K-30 - Orientation sensor: Yes

That's another advanced feature most entry levels won't have.
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K200D brought me into the DSLR world, in large measure because it was reasonably priced, weather sealed, and ran on AA cells. I love the camera, though it has its limitations (AF speed, noisy even at relatively low ISOs). I've been dithering over buying a K-5 and keeping the K200D as a backup. I'd been dragging my heels because, when I got right down to it, what I really wanted an upgraded K200D. Now it looks as if Pentax has come out with just the camera I've been looking for. From the specs, it seems there's only one thing I'll miss -- the top LCD panel -- but it does look as if this is the second camera body for me.
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I am right
k30 does not have HDMI and external mic port, two important features for video.

Last edited by liukaitc; 05-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K30 is currently rated to only shoot 8 RAW frames before filling its buffer (just over a second worth of continuous shooting). Hopefully this can be adjusted with a firmware update...
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you'll miss the top panel. It was darned useful until the back LCD became stuffed with handy readouts.

I too have no idea who would buy a K-5 with this on the market at a cheaper price and with improved features. It is also significantly smaller and lighter, which is a definitive win.
05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Love the looks of this thing...I'm even warming up to the idea of colours. Nice looking camera, and I'm sure the new 2 DSLR's are going to just kill.

Cheers,
Cameron

05-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
it seems there's only one thing I'll miss
Tamia, I thought I would too when I bought the K-x, upgrading from a K100D, but with the back panel having all I needed to see, I don't miss it at all.
05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
So what advantages/features does the K-5 still have over the k-30?
It's starting to show it's age. IMO Pentax needs to announece its successor ASAP.

Sure, it will still deliver marginally better IQ and has more buttons/the top LCD, but now that the K-30 has PRIME M, it will likely outperform the K-5 in terms of video and general stability (including live view).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

I wonder if this will have manual control (zoom and focus) when shooting video?
05-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't think you'll miss the top panel. It was darned useful until the back LCD became stuffed with handy readouts.

I too have no idea who would buy a K-5 with this on the market at a cheaper price and with improved features. It is also significantly smaller and lighter, which is a definitive win.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Tamia, I thought I would too when I bought the K-x, upgrading from a K100D, but with the back panel having all I needed to see, I don't miss it at all.
I forgot the "smaller and lighter" bit. The K200D is the largest SLR I've owned, and it's a moose. I look forward to a more compact package. As for the top panel, it took some time for me to learn to look at it, so I'm sure that with the info in the back LCD I will just as easily stop looking for the top one.
05-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I forgot the "smaller and lighter" bit. The K200D is the largest SLR I've owned, and it's a moose. I look forward to a more compact package. As for the top panel, it took some time for me to learn to look at it, so I'm sure that with the info in the back LCD I will just as easily stop looking for the top one.
I've used my daughter's k-x and it's not a big difference from the top viewfinder on my K20D, actually easier to see. This could be my next one, light years ahead of the K20D at a much lower opening price.
05-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #28

It looks like Pentax is doing away with their own RAW format - no PEF, just DNG for RAW. Probably a good move. Does the K-01 offer PEF?
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Basically a plastic K-5 - but that's a great strategy for Pentax if they are about to announce a K-5 successor. In a few months this will probably be priced at around $700 or less. It has fewer MP than the new Nikon D3200, but a better body spec. The glass prism viewfinder with swappable focus glass is a huge selling point at this price range.

I'm guessing the K-5 replacement will have Sony's 24 MP sensor, a better video spec, and of course a metal chassis and body. But as a recent K-5 buyer I'm wanting to see some new lenses! Especially a good very wide angle prime that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
05-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #30

Can't wait to see the comparison shots from the K-30 side by side with the K-5.

I hope they didn't hurt Pentax's great high iso capabilities.

I don't really care about the video aspects though.