Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
Can't wait to see the comparison shots from the K-30 side by side with the K-5.

I hope they didn't hurt Pentax's great high iso capabilities.

I don't really care about the video aspects though.
Second and third images down the page

05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote

Ya, I meant in terms of image quality and high iso though.

I do like the K-30 design for the most part but I wish they had included the mode dial lock lol. I accidentally change my K-x from Manual to Av all the time.

I still prefer the K-5 design, it's just more rugged.

I am also not a fan of the dimensions. My K-x already looks like a toy in my hands as is.
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #33
Pentaxian

12-bit raw - have they downgraded the hardware or it's just the crippled functionality compared to k-5?
05-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Design-wise, the only thing I can complain about the K-30 is how it looks with the popup flash up - it just looks weird, compared to the edgy one of the K-r and K-5.
And the Pentax nameplate is facing downwards....

I hope all kit options reach worldwide

05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
Ya, I meant in terms of image quality and high iso though.

I do like the K-30 design for the most part but I wish they had included the mode dial lock lol. I accidentally change my K-x from Manual to Av all the time.

I still prefer the K-5 design, it's just more rugged.

I am also not a fan of the dimensions. My K-x already looks like a toy in my hands as is.
Ah. My mistake. I'm waiting for those as well.

I liked the way the K-5 fit my hand - not too sure about the K30 and the slimmer grip. Prefer the looks of the K-5 as well. But overall, the K30 seems like a nicely spec'd body at a nice price point.
05-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's starting to show it's age. IMO Pentax needs to announece its successor ASAP.

Sure, it will still deliver marginally better IQ and has more buttons/the top LCD, but now that the K-30 has PRIME M, it will likely outperform the K-5 in terms of video and general stability (including live view).

I"ve been reading this thread and trying to figure out what's left for the K5 successor. It looks to me like flash is 'higher' which may allow
it to see over the top of the DA*16-50. Maybe a bigger buffer for non-stop shooting. Machine gun mode, sustainable over time is great
for non-repeatable events.
05-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Awesome.

The good K-x button layout, excellent ergonomics from what I see, WR and still somewhat compact, revamped AF (!), exchangeable focus screens (!!), 100% pentaprism (!!!), great video features (!!!!)... is there anything this camera doesn't do?

I see what they did with the pentaprism housing and I like it. It's both smaller (allowing a 100% pentaprism) and increases the height when the flash is up. Pretty smart, why no one though about this before?
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
From the specs, it seems there's only one thing I'll miss -- the top LCD panel -- but it does look as if this is the second camera body for me.
Same here!

I would not want to miss a top LCD panel.
  1. Easier to read than the back display because of its positioning when hand-holding.
  2. Easier to read in bright sunlight.
  3. Easier to read when using the camera on a tripod.
  4. Illuminated variants can be read in the dark without blinding one (unlike the back display).
  5. Does not need to be turned on explicitly to get a reading.
  6. Battery life is prolonged. Those back displays are quite hungry due to the backlight; top LCDs need next to nothing when not illuminated.

I really appreciate the K-30's design and the missing top LCD is almost my only excuse to wait for the flagship model.

Last edited by Class A; 05-24-2012 at 06:18 AM.
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

K-30 splash picture

Here is a link with picture that came from pentaximaging.com:

Pentax K-30 DSLR high performance mid-range camera « Fuzzybokeh.com

i believe it is floating in the water. I don't think many DSLR's can do that!

Last edited by goldenarrow; 05-21-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: syntax
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Awesome.

The good K-x button layout, excellent ergonomics from what I see, WR and still somewhat compact, revamped AF (!), exchangeable focus screens (!!), 100% pentaprism (!!!), great video features (!!!!)... is there anything this camera doesn't do?

I see what they did with the pentaprism housing and I like it. It's both smaller (allowing a 100% pentaprism) and increases the height when the flash is up. Pretty smart, why no one though about this before?
well the lens roadmap said the DA*16-50 is going to be re-released----hopefully in a mechanically bullet proof mode. If the new 16-50 f/2.8 can
focus super fast, never fail mechanically/electronically, and also work with the built in flash, it can become the standard lens that people dream
about.. Elsewhere someone has complained that they think the bottle opener front will cause a conflict with their bellows, but my response is that
I would rather put an exension tube on my bellows (something I had to do with the XZ-5 also, then have my built in flash shots with the DA*16-50
(which I have used since 2007 without a problem) vignetted---which they are--with a black shadow in the bottom.
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #41

Great move by Pentax/Ricoh, my K-01 is up for sale after 3 weeks.
The K30 will be a pleasure to use in the traditional form factor with the K-01 IQ.
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
If you look at the side by side images on DPreview there is very little difference in size.
05-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #43
Pentaxian

One bad thing might be the placement of AF/AE-L button. I use AF/AE-L button to focus on my k-x and I feel that new placement will be a bit awkward.
05-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The rear e-dial is bad placement too
05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #45

I wish they could have kept the top LCD panel! Damn!

Does anybody know if it has a mirror lock-up option?