Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I feel the need to remind some people that this is a still camera, not a video camera, you're just a secondary market that got accommodated to increase sales. Buy a video camera if you want one.

Also I can't think of any real purpose to this articulating LCD that a few people keep asking for, almost anything it could do could be done just as easily without it and its a huge expense to add to the camera, especially while maintaining the water resistance, and a nice flimsy part to break off the body in an accident.

05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #92
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I feel the need to remind some people that this is a still camera, not a video camera, you're just a secondary market that got accommodated to increase sales. Buy a video camera if you want one.

Also I can't think of any real purpose to this articulating LCD that a few people keep asking for, almost anything it could do could be done just as easily without it and its a huge expense to add to the camera, especially while maintaining the water resistance, and a nice flimsy part to break off the body in an accident.
People who want focus peaking for MF (and even for QS focus touch ups on AF lenses) will appreciate the articulating LCD for those shots that require body contortions to get behind the camera. In the past we had refconverters to attach to the VF frame for this purpose. An articulatiing LCD is a decent analog to a refconverter, especially as a Refconverter "A" is several hundred dolalrs when available on eBay.
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #93

Photos: Gallery

I agree, I personally feel the Swivel LCD is something specifically aimed at Amateurs. So they can see themselves as they take self portraits. I hardly ever use my LCD as is unless it's to review the shots and make sure my settings are right.

That being said, if it's an Entry-Level or Mid-Level DSLR then it is aimed towards Amateurs to begin with. In this instance I say if you want Weather Sealing then you get the Mid-Level K-30, if you want a Swivel LCD maybe the next Entry-Level DSLR will have one and if you want Video. . . buy a dang video camera. I'm more concerned with the successor to the K-5 than the K-30 anyway, though I know people will still cry that it will also not have a swivel LCD.

I'm not a fan of the Hybrid Systems. IMO it's one or the other and people's need to try to have their cake and eat it too is ruining the field of Photography. If you want to take quality pictures you buy a tool specific to doing that. Likewise, if you want to take quality video you buy a tool specific too it. I'm not saying the manufacturers haven't done a great job of making cameras that can do both. I'm just saying if they could focus on having the DSLR do only 1 thing they could make even greater improvements to them.

This is just bad business though, the aim is to sell as many cameras as possible so it's required to cater to as many people as possible. This means the Amateurs and Beginners who want to do everything, not just 1 thing. I completely understand, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
05-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #94
Pentaxian

shooting flower macros of small wildflowers. That's easier with my LX than with my K10d even though I don't have any of the top-view LX viewfinders - I used to simply slide the VF enough to be able to look down on the focussing screen

05-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
I'm not a fan of the Hybrid Systems. IMO it's one or the other and people's need to try to have their cake and eat it too is ruining the field of Photography. If you want to take quality pictures you buy a tool specific to doing that. Likewise, if you want to take quality video you buy a tool specific too it. I'm not saying the manufacturers haven't done a great job of making cameras that can do both. I'm just saying if they could focus on having the DSLR do only 1 thing they could make even greater improvements to them.
I agree with the fist part but for video camera with interchangeable lenses you're talking about $8000+ that's a very different number then $849 for the K-30 and that's the only thing it has going for really, the price the lenses and sensor size.

About the second, DSLR is like a computer. adding these things is hardly any work.
Liveview has been useful for me in the studio, much better preview of your image then what you get with the viewfinder.
It's only a small step to record that liveview image, that's all the video function is really.

Most of the camera improvements are made with the hadware and not so much with the software so the impact of spreading software development would not hurt the performance much if at all.
05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Video may not be my priority either, but that's an ignorant comment. Please tell all of those making commercials, TV shows, and films with SLRs that they are a "secondary market". Please also tell the photo-journalist, now able to report back with moving footage alongside their stills, that they should instead have a film crew in tow.

You might also want to check the price of a video camera that takes interchangeable lenses. I sure hope you have five figures in your pocket.

Those who want Pentax to improve the video features on their cameras are perfectly within their rights to state this, without someone shooting down their priorities.
05-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I agree with having an articulated LCD screen BUT if it's going to compromise "tough build quality" or the weathersealing in 5 years' time then I would go for a fixed-screen one instead. The thing about moving parts is they tend to get more wear and tear...
05-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #98
Pentaxian

All the same could be said about the cameras in phones. Phone first, camera second. Still camera first, video camera second.
I will be sure to inform the next photo journalist I meet using the DSLR as a news camera.

05-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #99
Pentaxian

I'm curious about the "Pentax Hand Strap" which photographyblog.com mentions as an optional accessory. Can any pictures be provided on this?
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #100

Olympus can do it:

The reason I wouldn't mind an articulating screen, is that it can allow for some more interesting shots, without either guessing or contorting into weird positions.

As for having a separate camcorder. Yes, you can, but that requires carrying around 2 devices, which isn't always practical at a moment's notice, and it takes up additional space in a bag/case. Also, I consider myself more of a photog than a videotog, but I wouldn't mind dabbling, and if I could use my Sigma 10-20 to shoot some video, that would be neat.

The fact that my iPhone 4S does both photos/videos reasonably well (for a phone) is why I take more pleasure out of using that, that carrying around my K20 + lenses most of the time. (yeah, I know it doesn't do video, but I wouldn't mind one device to rule them all). My phone fits in my pocket and goes everywhere.
05-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Articulated screens are extremely underrated in my opinion! They are a fantastic way to shoot children natuarlly. You shoot at their height and maintain eye contact without a distracting camera in your face - street shooting, shoot from the hip - concerts, crowds, shoot over the top - macro - over the fence at zoos - less glare as you can adjust the angle ....... I can go on but you get the point
05-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #102
Site Supporter

Great news related to the focusing system.
05-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #103
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Articulated screens are extremely underrated in my opinion! They are a fantastic way to shoot children natuarlly. You shoot at their height and maintain eye contact without a distracting camera in your face - street shooting, shoot from the hip - concerts, crowds, shoot over the top - macro - over the fence at zoos - less glare as you can adjust the angle ....... I can go on but you get the point
They are also great for the low macro shots that require you lying right on your stomach!
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
I'm curious about the "Pentax Hand Strap" which photographyblog.com mentions as an optional accessory. Can any pictures be provided on this?
I have one and have used it for years. It's well made, leather, and has become indispensable to me. Amazon.com
05-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #105
Site Supporter

Ehhhhhhhhh, ISO button, AF start button, one button trash option, ...
I wonder what is missing inside?

Basically a K5, but with several flaws to separate it from a yet to be announced camera that hopefully replaces the K5 soem time soon.