Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Cool! I don't care either way for the styling but will make it stick out against the other brands.
With the fires lit with the K-01 this model should create alot of buzz.
Also it was clever to release this model first after the K-01 as it appeases alot of those concerns (WR/OVF/ergonomics) but it also hints at the much higher level model namely in what it is missing (Top LCD, microphone in, HDMI out 14bit).
I still don't know if a true entry model will be released but I'm pretty sure between now and June 25th a K3 announcement will be made with a release just before Photokina (and a potential FF announcement?)
As for me, my K7 is still chugging along but if I get into some paid work anything from a Used K5 to a new FF would get my interest to relagate it to 2nd body status.

05-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Does anybody know if it has a mirror lock-up option?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k30.html

QuoteQuote:
Mirror lock-up
Yes
05-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #48

No swivel screen...
05-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #49

I know I keep bringing this up, but has there been any official word on a battery grip option? Also would like to know if the new processor takes full advantage of the new SD-UHS format? I've got a couple and relegated to class 10 speeds on the kx, and I knew the k5 still is also.

05-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #50
Forum Member

I currently own and use a K-5 and I can't see the differences and improvements brought by the K-30.

The K-30 seems to be a derivative of the K-5 with boosted protection against rain. I hope it features some improvements over the K-5.

Personally, I don't like the curvaceous design, nor I liked the bulky K-01.

We should wait for the new line-up to assess the consistency of the new Pentax dSLR range.

The K-30 price tag is close to the K-5 price, after discounts and cash-backs.
05-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Just need a shot of the bottom to see if there is a battery grip interface.
05-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
A K200D brought me into the DSLR world, in large measure because it was reasonably priced, weather sealed, and ran on AA cells. I love the camera, though it has its limitations (AF speed, noisy even at relatively low ISOs). I've been dithering over buying a K-5 and keeping the K200D as a backup. I'd been dragging my heels because, when I got right down to it, what I really wanted an upgraded K200D. Now it looks as if Pentax has come out with just the camera I've been looking for. From the specs, it seems there's only one thing I'll miss -- the top LCD panel -- but it does look as if this is the second camera body for me.
I agree 100% with this, except that I'll be sticking with my K200D for quite a while yet. Still, it's nice to know that Pentax have returned to making models that interest me and are affordable.

I could live without the top LCD, although I love it. What I couldn't live without is a battery grip. So far there is nothing to suggest that the K30 has this option, and that's a MAJOR missing feature, I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else. Pentax are doing themselves out of money, all they had to do was make an optional grip and they'd have an extra accessory to sell at a big profit.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 05-22-2012 at 01:00 AM.
05-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Just need a shot of the bottom to see if there is a battery grip interface.
This was on the other forum:

JohnCPentax - The K-30 does not have the connections on the bottom to facilitate a battery grip.
05-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rei_vilo Quote
I currently own and use a K-5 and I can't see the differences and improvements brought by the K-30.
[...]
The price tag; no other camera has such features for such a low price - if we compare apples to apples. Don't forget the K-30 will also have discounts and cash-backs
05-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Don't forget the K-30 will also have discounts and cash-backs
True. And that what we are seeing now is introductory price.
05-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rei_vilo Quote

The K-30 seems to be a derivative of the K-5 with boosted protection against rain. I hope it features some improvements over the K-5.

Personally, I don't like the curvaceous design, nor I liked the bulky K-01.

We should wait for the new line-up to assess the consistency of the new Pentax dSLR range.

Well, the K5 is at the end of its cycle, while the K30 is just launching. Look for discounts off the initial offering price down the road.

The thing that people don't seem to understand is that this isn't the K5 replacement. The closest thing it comes to is a K200 replacement -- a mid level camera with weather sealing, a little limited buffer size and more limited controls, but also considerably cheaper. Remember that at launch, the K5 was 1500 dollars. It is only now, nearly two years later that it has dropped into the sub-1000 dollar range.

I do wish they had made HDMI and an external mic options on it -- feels like those are the biggest omissions right now, although it isn't that hard to get an external recorder and sync things after the fact, I guess.
05-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
I know I keep bringing this up, but has there been any official word on a battery grip option?
John Carlson (Sr. Manager of Sales & Marketing at Pentax) has answered this question in DPReview:

"The K-30 does not have the connections on the bottom to facilitate a battery grip."
05-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #58
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
The K-30 does not have the connections on the bottom to facilitate a battery grip

This statement is not fully accurate.

Here is my example. The Pentax K-01 also does not "appear" to have the connections, but... I've seen a K-01 that does indeed have a battery grip; does not appear to be made by Pentax, does not appear on their site, and can't seem to presently find it anywhere on the internet - for sale, even pics of it - - anything. But I have in fact seen it. It connects via the tripod socket and simple allows the bottom battery door to remain open through the install. So yes, it could be made to work with a K30.

I've seen the photographer with that Pentax K-01 and the battery grip throughout the general Pittsburgh area; I believe that she also attends Point Park. The next time I happen to see her with her K-01 w/gripI'll try to tactfully ask if I can get a few pics of the grip.
05-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #59
Veteran Member

If you have the batery door open , it's not seal anymore
05-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
This statement is not fully accurate.

Here is my example. The Pentax K-01 also does not "appear" to have the connections, but... I've seen a K-01 that does indeed have a battery grip; does not appear to be made by Pentax, does not appear on their site, and can't seem to presently find it anywhere on the internet - for sale, even pics of it - - anything. But I have in fact seen it. It connects via the tripod socket and simple allows the bottom battery door to remain open through the install. So yes, it could be made to work with a K30.

I've seen the photographer with that Pentax K-01 and the battery grip throughout the general Pittsburgh area; I believe that she also attends Point Park. The next time I happen to see her with her K-01 w/gripI'll try to tactfully ask if I can get a few pics of the grip.
To make you happy then, the K-30 does not have first-party support for a weather-sealed battery grip.