Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #106
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
I agree, I personally feel the Swivel LCD is something specifically aimed at Amateurs. So they can see themselves as they take self portraits. I hardly ever use my LCD as is unless it's to review the shots and make sure my settings are right.

If you have ever shot studio, or product photography you would greatly appreciate an articulating screen. Shooting architecture and items of interest without being on the ground to get a POV shot is a major plus.

No, the articulating screen is not for amateurs, it is a very, very important addition to your camera system. Ever try to shoot a small animal, flower etc at very low groung level and get the POV you want without an articulating screen ....NOT !

I bought the Sony NEX5n just because Pentax in there infinite wisdom came out out with a mirror less camera without a articulating screen or EVF, but instead designed a camera for a window display in Beverly Hills.

wll

05-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #107
Pentaxian

I'd rather have a waist-level finder
05-24-2012, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use live view at wedding receptions sometimes and having an articulating screen would be great for those shots where I am holding the camera up over my head. It is not a must have, because I know my camera and lenses and how to point it over my head and get the shot, but it would be nice because it could make life a little easier. Still, there are more important things on my wish list. I find the upgraded focusing very exciting because I can't wait to see what the k5 replacement will have in terms of focusing.
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
If you have ever shot studio, or product photography you would greatly appreciate an articulating screen.
in the studio it's easy to hook the camera up to a monitor, you have een even better view that way.

05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I'm in the articulating screen camp myself. It seems like a draw for entry level users but there are many times i wish i had one. One of the big appeals to the EM5 for me is just that (I just don't want the sensor at that price range when the k5 is around)
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #111
Veteran Member

But would you have one if it would mean no WR?

Now things get more dificult.
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the root of the problem then is that I am just the wrong type of person to need an articulating LCD.

For studio work they need to get the tethering to a laptop and photoshop perfected, unless the LCD is going to take up the whole back panel and then some on the K3 the image is still way too tiny to be more than just helpful so there is no reason to use it in a controlled environment.

As far as angles I can see the LCD on my K20D at a 45 degree angle just as clearly as straight on, its not like an old laptop monitor where it greys out. I can actually read it and use it in live view for aiming at almost 90 degrees but not clearly enough to manual focus if I needed to. I am also very willing to lay in the mud or hang upside down over a waterfall to get the proper shot, but I understand many people aren't in a state of health to allow even kneeling.

And I don't doubt they could easily make an articulating screen and (and a microphone port for that matter) water resistant like the rest but it adds a potential problem area and definitely will add substantially to the final cost to add and waterproof them (you have to fully seal the LCD and its connection to the camera and the hinge mechanism remember).

05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Well instead of articulating why not put in bluetooth or wifi and use Android or Iphone with pentax terehing program instead.
05-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #114

I also think that an articulating screen is for Amateurs, because if you use a camera for more professional work why do you not connect an external screen via HDMI ?
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote
I also think that an articulating screen is for Amateurs, because if you use a camera for more professional work why do you not connect an external screen via HDMI ?
maybe for filming or in the studio, but not always practical in the field. and for video live hdmi out is a missing option in any case

If I'm shooting a show and need to hold the camera over my head I make an educated guess for framing etc and crop later as i am flying blind, with a tilt screen no issue, the option to shoot from a lower position is nice as well (like using a WL finder on a medium format for instance)
It has it's uses most definitely
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got nothing against people who want and use one but I've never needed an articulating focus screen to get a shot. If I am photographing kids I get down on their level. Ditto bugs, flowers, whatever. I may look silly and I may get a bit dirty even sometimes but I just do it anyway. It's just part of the job and it's not like I am out there in my best dress trying to take photos anyway. Honestly I think if you want to be a good photographer it's just necessary sometimes to forget about comfort and cleanliness and just go for it. I'm not saying a rotating focusing screen wouldn't come in handy or make it easier but it's just not a must have thing for me and I can and do live without one just fine.

I've seen my one photography teacher wade across a muddy, bug ridden bog just to get a shot of some geese. I've watched him climb down into a dark hole that was 3X deeper than he was tall. (Goodness knows what was down in there. It was a totally suitable habitat for snakes and such...) He once climbed a tall chain link fence right in front of me to get a closer shot of a big bee nest up in a tree on the other side of it when he couldn't quite get it with his 300mm zoom lens. Just watching him climb that fence made me totally green. I can't stand heights and I'm deathly allergic to bee stings besides. Never mind taking that f-g shot, I thought, and backed away. But HE got it and it was pretty darned awesome. FYI, he's 65+ and he's got more balls than most men half his age obviously....

I'm probably a bit too prissy about not getting "too" dirty if you want to be honest. I actually carry a little stool in the car and a throw to lay on. My teacher he totally snarks at me for that. When I'm with him I don't use them much. It's not worth the "Oh please!" looks he throws my way, laugh. But I do get his point. Sometimes you just have to go for it and get out of your comfort zone. Photography isn't supposed to be all about tidy climate controlled sessions in the studio.

The "back to nature" part of photography it's actually not so easy for me. I totally hate bugs, dirt. I won't bait a hook or go camping unless I'm practically dragged there. I don't like to sweat or get really dirty. I'm not good in full sun. It can literally make me sick very quickly and I'm a walking blood sucking bug magnet apparently, bug repellant or no bug repellant. But I do it anyway. I get outside and I get dirty. It's just something I have to do, you know? Never mind that I'm a very girly girl who hates it when her nail polish gets chipped....;P

Last edited by magkelly; 05-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
05-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #117

is there any word whether the K-30 will have the two-way level or horizon correction of the K-5?
05-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Articulating screens are very nice to use, but they are also the first thing to malfunction on many cameras that have them.
05-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
maybe for filming or in the studio, but not always practical in the field. and for video live hdmi out is a missing option in any case
and filming you dont do in the field?
there are small light monitors that fit ontop the hotshoe, i dont see it much of a problem for landscapes or architect photography
05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If I'm shooting a show and need to hold the camera over my head I make an educated guess for framing etc and crop later as i am flying blind, with a tilt screen no issue, the option to shoot from a lower position is nice as well (like using a WL finder on a medium format for instance)
It has it's uses most definitely
Using the LCD instead of viewfinder to take shots at the stage show is not necessarily a smart thing to do since most stage show would not allow videotaping or recording using P&S but photo shots are still okay (as long as you don't disturb other audience). I am not against the articulating LCD (for its convenience) but I don't favor the idea of putting one on a mid-tier WR DSLR like the k-30. Also, as some have suggested, making the articulating LCD WR is likely not as simple. I would probably belief in it until I see other camera makers put the same in the high end cameras such as the D800. But if there is another low entry DSLR coming from Pentax below k-30, then may be it should.