Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using my G3 for over half a year now, and I know how much I appreciate its articulating screen on a small camera. Yes, it's not a must, but it's really one of the features I'd love to have on a compact camera. This is probably the only reason I'm still a little bit hesitated to change to an Oly OM-D E-M5.

But for a camera as big as K30 or K5, I don't really think it's as convenient to use an articulating screen due to its weight and size, especially with a big lens mounted.

05-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've been using my G3 for over half a year now, and I know how much I appreciate its articulating screen on a small camera. Yes, it's not a must, but it's really one of the features I'd love to have on a compact camera. This is probably the only reason I'm still a little bit hesitated to change to an Oly OM-D E-M5.

But for a camera as big as K30 or K5, I don't really think it's as convenient to use an articulating screen due to its weight and size, especially with a big lens mounted.
Indeed, and in fact a DSLR won't benefit as much from one too as the shutter response is too slow in LV compared to MILCs.
IMO, it just won't become the primary way the camera can/will be used due to this lag time.

Personally, I don't think Pentax currently has the design expertise for flex circuits in terms of design and reliability.
I also doubt flex circuits and articulating screens have the reliability catered for 'pro' or high end models.
05-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #123
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've got nothing against people who want and use one but I've never needed an articulating focus screen to get a shot. If I am photographing kids I get down on their level. Ditto bugs, flowers, whatever. I may look silly and I may get a bit dirty even sometimes but I just do it anyway. It's just part of the job and it's not like I am out there in my best dress trying to take photos anyway. Honestly I think if you want to be a good photographer it's just necessary sometimes to forget about comfort and cleanliness and just go for it. I'm not saying a rotating focusing screen wouldn't come in handy or make it easier but it's just not a must have thing for me and I can and do live without one just fine.
Totally agree about getting dirty in the name of photography so therefore will never be a MUST for me, but it does make things easier and thus more relaxed/productive and having a tiltable screen does open up a new world of compositions that just weren't accessible before.

In a studio I would totally tether or use an external screen.

The idea of having wifi on board and maybe an app to use with a phone ala what Samsung have done would be a good alternative although you may run out of hands!
05-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were to choose, I'd rather have a "wired screen" where I can do the LV from a tablet/smartphone connected via an HDMI connector or from the flash hotshoe. That way, I wouldn't need to even crane my neck trying to compose... but that's talking about a product that does not even exist =))

05-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If I were to choose, I'd rather have a "wired screen" where I can do the LV from a tablet/smartphone connected via an HDMI connector or from the flash hotshoe. That way, I wouldn't need to even crane my neck trying to compose... but that's talking about a product that does not even exist =))
There are i had a photo on the other pages but it disappeared.

They are called field monitors, do a search on google or look on B&H Amazon, ect.
You also have EVF that connect through HDMI.
These monitors and EVF often also have extra features like zebra stripes and focus peaking for example

They work with the K5 during filming but with the K-01 you can only use it for stills, when recording the HDMI signal is shutdown
05-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Using the LCD instead of viewfinder to take shots at the stage show is not necessarily a smart thing to do since most stage show would not allow videotaping or recording using P&S but photo shots are still okay (as long as you don't disturb other audience). I am not against the articulating LCD (for its convenience) but I don't favor the idea of putting one on a mid-tier WR DSLR like the k-30. Also, as some have suggested, making the articulating LCD WR is likely not as simple. I would probably belief in it until I see other camera makers put the same in the high end cameras such as the D800. But if there is another low entry DSLR coming from Pentax below k-30, then may be it should.
I have a media pass when I shoot so it wouldn't be an issue for me, and where it is of use is club shows where i am jammed in at the front with the rest of the throng. If there is a media pit I don't need it, though i can see other uses as well (as mentioned by others it lets you shoot easier from a different perspective) Really i don't see the objection. If they offer it they do, if they don't they don't but most definitely it has a use, and has been put on higher end cameras than the K-30 - em5 for instance. and in a bigger more pro oriented model the E-3 and then the E-5. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it crop up in the 7D replacement when it arrives (or the 60D replacement)
sure you can use an external monitor, and it can be better but it's not always convenient
05-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There are i had a photo on the other pages but it disappeared.

They are called field monitors, do a search on google or look on B&H Amazon, ect.
You also have EVF that connect through HDMI.
These monitors and EVF often also have extra features like zebra stripes and focus peaking for example

They work with the K5 during filming but with the K-01 you can only use it for stills, when recording the HDMI signal is shutdown
these are great if you are shooting on a tripod or with a rig, and I would use one in those scenarios, but they don't solve all issues

Whether or not Pentax can implement with the quality needed is another issue (the oly E-5 is quite well built and I don't believe they have had any hude issues with the screen. At this point actually i'm certain they are getting much more reliable, they've been around for eons now

05-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #128
Veteran Member

It's indeed extra gear to carry but it doesnt weaken the camera and that's what i'm worried about with those articulated screens, they look fragile.
05-25-2012, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #129

Hands-on impression after examining the pre-production K30 DSLR... this is one sweet little camera - ergonomics are excellent, features and build quality very impressive.

I can't show the LCD panel or the various menus because the final production firmware is not available yet, and things may change... but the menus and the rear LCD controls are extensive, yet easy to understand and operate.

The three camera colours were on display - the blue and white as working prototypes, the prototype of the black body was not fully functional. Of course, with pre-production cameras, the press is not allowed to publish images from the prototypes, so we photographed the K30 with a K-01, shooting in DNG, which I converted to JPEG to show you the camera.

Some of the features of the prototype were "near production levels". The focus speed is VERY impressive - I tried the camera with the 16-45mm zoom in mixed light at the photo show - the camera snapped into focus, and stayed with the subject as I panned around the building - I would have no problem at all shooting high speed sports with this camera.

The K30 does have the electronic level, with a read-out in the viewfinder and on the live view LCD panel. This information did not make it into the press releases, so this may be the first time anyone has verified that the K30 does indeed have this very useful feature.

The retail price in Canada is expected to be about $849 - the camera would be an upgrade from my K20D, with a sensor similar to the K5 PLUS video and 6 fps frame rate.

Availability - probably July 2012.

The ergonomics are wonderful - control interfaces are excellent - dual wheels for adjustments, and the top dial for mode selection is way better than the LCD with buttons - you can adjust settings faster using the dial and the rear LCD panel.

Image playback on the LCD is very sharp and very fast - best I have seen so far, from any manufacturer.

With weather seals and the full range of K-mount lens compatibility (subject to the lens limitations, of course) this camera has everything I look for except a full metal chassis... but the composite materials are often as durable as the metal frames, so I would not worry about that spec. I would also want a very long shutter life expectancy, but I shoot MUCH more than the average photographer - and I haven't worn out a shutter yet.

With the option to use AA batteries (in a pinch - because they won't deliver very many shots compared to the lithium rechargable batteries) this camera is going to be a real winner.

I asked about a successor to the K5... the reps just smiled like Cheshire cats - I think there is something coming over the horizon, but nobody is willing to leak any information... yet.

It appears that Ricoh is taking the DSLR market VERY seriously - and this brings a new wave of excitement to the Pentax community!

Norm.

Last edited by Norm123; 05-26-2012 at 01:14 PM.
05-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #130
Veteran Member

That is a wonderful story. K-5 needs an upgrade, yes. Shall hang on to good hope till after Photokina.

Articulating screen: I used a Panasoniç GH2 for a short while and didn't like the flipping to the outer side very much. It takes up time and it sticks outside the camera width.
And I now have an Olympus om-d e-m5, which has a sliding screen, a stirdy one and very discrete in use. I love it to bits. It stays within, of course, the camera width.

I strongly believe that a K-5 successor would benefit from either an articulated or tilting screen. It would surely improve framing flexiblity in all sorts of conditions.
And please, please, a touchscreen interface as an extra next to lots of wheels and knobs. But yes, touchscreen interface too. Evrything to improve performance, silent performance, my omdem5 hums, which is weird and though not disastrous, undesirable.
05-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Thouch screen might be good idea, you can press the screen with your nose then =]
05-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Norm123 Quote
The K30 does have the electronic level, with a read-out in the viewfinder and on the live view LCD panel. This information did not make it into the press releases, so this may be the first time anyone has verified that the K30 does indeed have this very useful feature.
Wow! Really seems like this camera really adds a bunch of features compared to the K-r and other entry-levels.
05-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by Norm123 Quote
With a battery grip and the option to use AA batteries (in a pinch - because they won't deliver very many shots compared to the lithium rechargable batteries) this camera is going to be a real winner.
Are you sure about the AA having less capacity? It seems to use the same as the K-r, namely D-LI109 or D-BH109, and the K-r is rated for 470 shots with Li-Ion, 1000 with AA.

(I'm guessing they used Lithium AA, and Eneloops would be rated for less, but not that much less. One of the benefits of AA being a standard format is you have a choice of chemistries and capacities.)
05-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #134

There's no option for a grip anyway =(
05-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #135
Veteran Member

FWIW there is a video preview of the K-30 on dpReview

Last edited by UnknownVT; 05-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.