Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #136
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
That is a wonderful story. K-5 needs an upgrade, yes. Shall hang on to good hope till after Photokina.

Articulating screen: I used a Panasoniç GH2 for a short while and didn't like the flipping to the outer side very much. It takes up time and it sticks outside the camera width.
And I now have an Olympus om-d e-m5, which has a sliding screen, a stirdy one and very discrete in use. I love it to bits. It stays within, of course, the camera width.

I strongly believe that a K-5 successor would benefit from either an articulated or tilting screen. It would surely improve framing flexiblity in all sorts of conditions.
And please, please, a touchscreen interface as an extra next to lots of wheels and knobs. But yes, touchscreen interface too. Evrything to improve performance, silent performance, my omdem5 hums, which is weird and though not disastrous, undesirable.
I'm not a fan of the swivel out screens either, couldn't give a rats if I could see myself or not. There is one cool thing they can do and that is fold in on them selves protecting the screen.
I prefer the older sony way of up and down only. Don't like the newer ones as much as they have a small hinge at the bottom instead.

05-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All those arguing against articulated screens because they might fail are taking the Luddite position. I also wonder if you really use your camera until it falls apart, or aren't you instead likely to upgrade before then?

I should also point out that all videocams have articulated screens. Yet we don't get review after review saying "get rid of this useful screen because it might fail before some other part in the camera".

Sheesh.
05-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
All those arguing against articulated screens because they might fail are taking the Luddite position. I also wonder if you really use your camera until it falls apart, or aren't you instead likely to upgrade before then?

I should also point out that all videocams have articulated screens. Yet we don't get review after review saying "get rid of this useful screen because it might fail before some other part in the camera".

Sheesh.
Swivel screens are the first thing to fail on handycams, by far.
05-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think with video cameras its a bit different since they really actually use that screen full time and cant even see without it so its a necessity, for us its only used some of the time so adding complexity to it would be adding cost and potential issues where the usefulness to offset that would be debatable. A swivel screen on a mirrorless on the other hand would be just as useful as the video camera since that's their only way to view anything.

05-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Thouch screen might be good idea, you can press the screen with your nose then =]
When hands full with heavy cam THAT would sometimes come in mightely handy, eh, nosey.
Seriously, I enabled touchscreen on my omdem5 and while using the EV, as I am left eye shooter, never reacts to nose against screen .......... ...... it would have filled my sd card up rather quickly, don't you think?

I have become to appreciate touch screen, it really is convenient. You ever tried?
I love changes, I think they are exhilirating.
05-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #141
Pentaxian

I love things that works. For me, hard buttons are better - on a camera, at least - than a touch screen-based interface.
05-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #142
Veteran Member

The articulating screen I can get behind, but a touch screen? No way.

What is the point of having a touch screen anyway? What does it add? On a phone or a small point and shoot it makes perfect sense but on a dSLR (and a car) you absolutely need physical buttons. That tactile response ensure a much better shooting experience, keeping your attention on the subject. You can't be constantly looking at a screen to adjust your shutter speed or aperture. And since you already have the buttons why do you need the touch screen? Tech for the point of tech?

05-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #143
Pentaxian

You can't play Angry Birds without one
05-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #144

Articulating screen or/and touch screen are useless on the K-5 successor, who needs them ?
The screen is going to be smaller and the body has to be bigger!
05-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi!
What concerned the screen, I share the opinion predecessor; Djajmy. The camera is not the iPhone! I do not see any sense in that the focus "sweaty and dirty" fingers? If I already want to focus on anything in the lower left corner of the photos there is a function of SEL!
greeting
05-27-2012, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
I have become to appreciate touch screen, it really is convenient. You ever tried?
I love changes, I think they are exhilirating.
I haven't but i can already say i don't need it, the LCD screen is actually off 99% of the time so thouch screen won't be useful.
I do most with the actually buttons and use the top LCD or the information in the viewfinder, i don't need more.

Thouch screen is only needed if you don't have enough buttons
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Touch screens are needed for typing without a keyboard and graphical interface browsing, 2 things that never should be on a camera. Not to mention how weak the nice squishy screen is compared to an armored plastic panel.

Honestly I can't think of any features that aren't on good quality FF DSLR's right now that would be of any real use to an actual photographer.
Things like wireless internet to share photos might appeal to the sort that use the mirrorless cameras when the wireless networks outside of cities are eventually update enough to be worth a damn. Bluetooth might come in handy for some pro portrait or studio photographers, but with the amount of crap they use to take a simple picture I don't think adding a feature (and cost) to eliminate one cord is worth the trouble since they mostly use tripods anyways and an actual tether would be faster and more reliable.
05-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Not to mention how weak the nice squishy screen is compared to an armored plastic panel.
Seems you've never used a device with a capacitive thouch screen, that one reacts to the conductivity of your skin and the screen has actuall glass infront of it.
Most smartphones and tablets these days use it...
Smartphones are most of the time in your pocket and the screen is quite vunerable but they seem to hold up quite well so should be more then good enough for DSLR which are treated with more care most of the time.

But i can see touch screen being useful for smaller device with limited space like compact cameras and those mirror less cameras, a touch screen could make the interface easier to use.
DSLR are large enough to have real buttons so they dont need simulated buttons.
Another good thing is that touch screen would be easier to weather seal then buttons.
05-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #149
Veteran Member

I abso-f-in-lutely WANT that camera, sigh....<3 <3 <3 It's just totally WOW!!!

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
05-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I agree with having an articulated LCD screen BUT if it's going to compromise "tough build quality" or the weathersealing in 5 years' time then I would go for a fixed-screen one instead. The thing about moving parts is they tend to get more wear and tear...
Olympus E-5 wants a chat with you.

Also, I'm in the camp that think articulating LCD would be really nice. I use my K-x and K10 professionally and with these cameras there is no tethering + live view. My cameras often have to be at a location where I can't conveniently see either screen or put my face on the VF. In those situations, the arcitulating LCD is godsent.