Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marketing the new Pentax Products

Sorry if this has been posted in one of these many threads, but to me it is odd that the K-30 was introduced in most of the Pentax markets. It does not appear on the Pentax Japan, China, or Canada websites, not does the new 50/1.8.

The Pentax Japan website is announcing the
"PENTAX Optio LS465
A pocketable, stylish digital compact camera, combining an
ultra-compact, low profile body with a full array of
user-friendly features
dated 5/22/2012.

I just think it's kind of odd.

05-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do wonder how the company is structured. Marketing especially seems disjointed without much coordination. The tiny company I work for would never think of having a major product announcement without a completely coordinated marketing effort. All websites, Facebook, press releases, blog stories, info releases to major web news carriers, print materials, emails to client list, everything timed to happen simultaneously. That is how you generate buzz. In this day it is unforgivable to not have the official company web sites proclaiming the news on the front page the instant it was announced.

It feels as if there are 5 different departments doing some facet of marketing and none of them talk to each other.
05-21-2012, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The main possibilities that come to mind:

* All the local|regional groups aren't on the same page yet; Ricoh hasn't established full control.
* This is a deliberate move by Ricoh, maybe to test regional reaction, maybe for other purposes.
* Maybe we'll have some staggering news soon that will make the K30 and D50/1.8 minor stuff.
* The voices in Ricoh's head told them to behave this way. I always obey my voices. Don't you?
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Holiday in Canada today

05-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure why Pentax USA hasn't announced it yet, but the info is up on our homepage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Holiday in Canada today
Sorry, I forgot that, even so, people do work holidays sometimes. But I would think it will post tomorrow. I couldn't imagine they would release different in North American countries.
05-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On the Australian Pentax site there is only a mention in the New Tweets section at the bottom of the page.

05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The official announcement will be TODAY here in Asia...
05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a major holiday In Canada, first long week-end of summer!!! . Very few peoples work on that monday
05-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Sorry, I forgot that, even so, people do work holidays sometimes. But I would think it will post tomorrow. I couldn't imagine they would release different in North American countries.
Apple often does.
05-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holiday in Canada today
Computers do not take holidays. Simple enough to have the page update or change at a specific time, yes?
05-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

K- 1 was month ahead on the canadian web site versus USA web site . I dont worry about updating the site
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K- 1 was month ahead on the canadian web site versus USA web site . I dont worry about updating the site
Actually, P-USA website was updated a month late. Literally, the K-01 wasn't featured until a month after it was announced.
05-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure why Pentax USA hasn't announced it yet, but the info is up on our homepage.
I thought I saw it on the Pentax USA site hours ago. It's there now - if you look carefully enough, you can find several references amongst the jumble that's the home page. Seriously folks, it's given the same emphasis as a story about a pet shelter.

I'm holding my tongue, thinking of my late mother and her admonition about finding something nice to say about someone. She was a long-suffering soul in the find-something-nice-to-say camp but she'd struggle with that page and crew, I'm certain. My father, being a CEO in a small way, would be somewhat less reluctant.
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter

this is weird, becasue pentax.com emailed me BEFORE pentaxforums.com did about the k30, and the pentax usa website had more info and pictures and made a bigger deal out of it i thought.
the emails were back to back in my inbox... so maybe your cookies need to be deleted or something?
it says "never take a raincheck" on the main page emphasising the new WR camera. i know im posting this late, but i first checked this after work (3pm pacific time) and am back online now.
but, yes, i do agree that pentax marketing is the biggest hindrance to the company.